Distillation Myths Dispelled!

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chris1987
Novice

Re: Distillation Myths Dispelled!

Post by chris1987 »

googe wrote:Using vodka essence makes vodka.
wtf that is plain stupid i never heard that one

i had someone telling me the only way to make whisky at home is to use turbo yeast and essence i did put him straight he was drinking some stuff of mine and was asking me what was its brand i told him i made it and that is what started the whole debate then when i said that was made the way any whisky distillery would minus the barrel and in place oak he swallowed his words i think this is a really common myth
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome Chris, I recognize you from another forum. Could you pop over to the Welcome Center and give the members a proper introduction!
dallen54200
Novice

Post by dallen54200 »

Someone mentioned Tim Smith and his whiskey. I visited the Limebranch distillery this summer and talked with the young man working there. He pointed out the sign whish advertised Tim Smith’s stuff. He told me that Limebranch made it and put Tim Smith’s label on it.
Just Give Me Two Fingers
Max_Vino
Bootlegger

Post by Max_Vino »

Myth:

"Drinking Alcohol is harmful to your health"

On the basis of its extensive review of research, the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) reported that moderate drinkers have the greatest longevity. Moderate drinkers tend to have better health and live longer than those who are either abstainers or heavy drinkers. In addition to having fewer heart attacks and strokes, moderate consumers of alcoholic beverages (beer, wine and distilled spirits or liquor) are generally less likely to suffer strokes, diabetes, arthritis, enlarged prostate, dementia (including Alzheimer's disease), and several major cancers.

A toast to good prostate health !! !
Cheers,
Max
JDtje
Novice

Post by JDtje »

Ok, now what would a modest drinker drink and drink how much of it in a week ? :crazy:
If you don't ask question, you won't learn anything.
Max_Vino
Bootlegger

Post by Max_Vino »

OT- Sorry.
Canadian guidelines for moderate consumption of alcohol recommend that, on any particular occasion, men consume no more than four drinks and that women consume no more than three. So if your wife doesn't drink that's seven right there. :>)

Max
hilbilly
Swill Maker

Post by hilbilly »

Max_Vino wrote:OT- Sorry.
Canadian guidelines for moderate consumption of alcohol recommend that, on any particular occasion, men consume no more than four drinks and that women consume no more than three. So if your wife doesn't drink that's seven right there. :>)

Max
Is "any particular occasion" considered to be days in the week that have the letter "a" in them? :wink:
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

hilbilly wrote:
Max_Vino wrote:OT- Sorry.

Max
Is "any particular occasion" considered to be days in the week that have the letter "a" in them? :wink:
That would be my logical assumption.

Just sayin',
S-C
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

On these consumption vs health issues : you gotta take into consideration that there are a lot more of us old drunks around than there are old doctors . The old doctors that are also old drunks being the exception .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

interesting facts

my dads a drunk with a fishing problem...
JDtje
Novice

Post by JDtje »

well, my bad.

I learned my wife how to drink whiskey. Started with Jameson and some more smooth stuff.

but a any day with an A in it 4 drinks . seems enough for me.

Looked it up though. with an BAC no more then 0.055 would then mean in the first 15 minutes 0.1 and after 2 hours 0.01 ??
If you don't ask question, you won't learn anything.
Jkhippie
Swill Maker

Post by Jkhippie »

Here's something for Odin and other gin lovers.

Http://www.interestedwomen.com/index.ph ... -gin-myths" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Not for me. I think it's just awful. :tired:
The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family.

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, there's been a breach in the Duck Containment Facility.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

One I don't think has been mentioned?

Adding packing to a pot still. Makes it a reflux still. That can produce 95% ABV. Without forced reflux. :crazy:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
chris1987
Novice

Post by chris1987 »

Prairiepiss wrote:One I don't think has been mentioned?

Adding packing to a pot still. Makes it a reflux still. That can produce 95% ABV. Without forced reflux. :crazy:
if it did that y are we all not doing this
Brendan
Rumrunner

Post by Brendan »

Myth: Flutes/plated columns can't produce a clean neutral :thumbdown:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

And another one: LM's in full azeo attack mode can only produce neutrals.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Odin wrote:And another one: LM's in full azeo attack mode can only produce neutrals.

Odin.
You could actually take this one a step further.

All 95% alcohol is devoid of flavors and smells.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Yes! And here's another one, related to that:

... that's because taste is only in the heads and tails, not in the hearts.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

And the flavors come from the 5% that isn't alcohol. When producing a 95% ABV.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Yeah, that 95% is pure, it is the 5% water that's not pure!

Especially after like 15 to 40 redistillations!

:crazy:

Odin.
Drunken Unicorn
Novice

Post by Drunken Unicorn »

When working at the liquor store, I heard quite a few myths. Here are some I kept hearing:

"Only dark liquor gives you headaches, so I only drink clear liquor."
"All Vodka is from Russia."
"Vodka is only made from potatoes."
"You can tell if a white whiskey is good by the bubbles."
I mention that because a guy come up to me when I was selling some white lightning (at the store, I don't sell my stuff), picked up a jar and shook it. After a second he said, "Yup, that's some good shine." I think someone has been watching a little to much tv!

A lot of these myths are perpetrated by promotional models. "Good" looking they may be, educated in liquor they often are not.
I wish we could say that these myths were only being perpetrated by the big boys. There are a number of craft distillers that I've heard spout complete baloney.
Example: "Yeast produce vitamin C, so drinking liquor is good for you."

-Drunken Unicorn
Unicorns drink beer and piss whiskey.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Bushman wrote:
When I was single and younger I used to drink more than I should on the weekends. My cure was to go scuba diving as I felt that the ambient pressure blew out the hang over. Because I believed it I felt it, but I got to tell you that 45 F water may have had something to do with it!

I realize this is an older post, but being a former scuba instructor I have to jump in. Scuba diving while impaired is like stilling on an open flame with a leaking column. Not safe at all. One beer on the surface is like two at thirty feet, 3 at sixty, and so on. Add in the effects of nitrogen narcosis, which can hot even at thirty feet if you are already impaired, and your judgement to make important decisions is severely impaired.

Being hung over, still not smart, puking 60 feet down no fun either. But the reason you felt it helped the hangover was due to the oxygen being at higher partial pressures whole at depth.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

"Now I don't know who really makes it but it is made at the climax distillery in KY just as on the tv show this year, and seems as though wally world has decided to jump on board cause that's where it was purchased. So run on out there on the edge of the interstate, find the new likker section at wally world and get you a bottle to try, lol. Not bad pot stilled corn, guessing they stole Uncle Jesse's recipe."

MGP make's a decent drink.

BG
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

When someone asks, "Won't you go blind?" I say I spent my teenage years trying to make myself blind. Never managed to grow hair on my palms neither. Oh wait, what myths were we talking about? ;)
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Theory is used to calculate output, calculations are a theory for output.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
nabtastic
Novice

Post by nabtastic »

wv_cooker wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:
wv_cooker wrote:Tim Smith doesn't know how to make moonshine. Well somebody with a pot still does I am drinking a bottle right now and it's pretty good. We will see if I have a headache in the morning lol.
I'd venture to guess that it came off your still you will feel fine come morning :)
Well actually not true this time. My son and his fiance walked in yesterday evening and handed me a present of a bottle of Tim Smith likker, lol. Thinking what better way to see what he makes than a little sipping, so I proceeded to drink close to half the bottle last night. Drank it neat like good shine should be. went to bed about 1:00 am and back up at around 7:00 am and to my surprise no headache. All in all is a good bottle of corn hooch and no headache.

Now I don't know who really makes it but it is made at the climax distillery in KY just as on the tv show this year, and seems as though wally world has decided to jump on board cause that's where it was purchased. So run on out there on the edge of the interstate, find the new likker section at wally world and get you a bottle to try, lol. Not bad pot stilled corn, guessing they stole Uncle Jesse's recipe.
I'm guessing they are using the same recipe that limestone branch uses - 'cause that's where it's distilled at. Aside from the $15 price difference they even taste about the same. Pretty sure it's a standard sugarhead shine. Limestone branch are good people - expansive flavored 'shine lines tho, Mr. Smith, well, can't say anything nice about him.
I run a small (legal) distillery and I advocate the decriminalization of home distillation. I believe there should be a competency test for distillation (similar to teaching or welding). I also advocate a competency test for parenthood. wear a condom.