Pot Still: Single Runs vs. Strip and Spirit

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Antler24
Trainee

Pot Still: Single Runs vs. Strip and Spirit

Post by Antler24 »

How many folks here just do single runs on their pot stills? I know it really depends on a lot of factors including still efficiency, wash abv, type of spirit, and personal taste for the end result so this isn't intended to be a "is a single run good enough?" thread. Just like everybody's opinion as to who does single runs and who does stripping and spirit runs and why do you do it that way, What spirits do you do one or the other and why.

I haven't distilled anything yet but I plan to do a slow stripping run making all cuts like a spirit run. If some of the hearts are up to my liking I'll keep, and the rest goes into a feints bucket to save for a full charge. If none of it is as good as i'd like ill blend it all back together for a spirit run.

How do you like to run yours and why?
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pot Still: Single Runs vs. Strip and Spirit

Post by BoomTown »

Antler, it's not unusual for me to snag the best jar from a stripping run and keep it out, just for the record. I always run both stripping and spirits at the same pace and the main difference in the outputs that I note between what results is an extended volume of harts between heads and tails in the spirit runs, but the quality of taste can be very close, especially when you run slow and make careful selections. I'm pretty disciplined about collections, setting the output speed low, then timing each collection so that I catch about 500ml in each period. I number and cover the jars with coffee filters, let them set for 24 hours, then taste them.

I only keep one jar out fro each stripping run, and that I label carefully with the date and the recipe, and slip it up on a shelf. It kinda helps me keep track of what I've been doing, when, and sets up a comparison library to look at later.

But then, I'm not an expert, only curious. I actually just like running the still, and tinkering with the outputs.

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Experiment. Experiment. Experiment.

I do different things for different recipes. And still experimenting on others.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Try distilling 1.5. Add a low wines to a part fresh wash and do a spirit run on that.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

with UJ, I only do single run as that is what I find I like. I did try strip/spirit with it a couple times but wasn't happy with the loss of the flavours that I like. Still had lots of flavour but was just missing something.
The few AG runs I've done required a stripping run to reduce the flavours to my liking.

Upping the ABV means nothing to me with a pot still, I'm gonna dilute back to 90 proof anyway and start with good water.

I do think I want to build a thumper though, that extra bit may just be the ticket
Buteo
Novice

Post by Buteo »

I do single runs in a pot still. Make good cuts. Low and slow. Suits me just fine. I'm mainly a whiskey drinker and don't want to strip out the favor.
It really depends on what kind of drink you like.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Prairiepiss wrote:Experiment. Experiment. Experiment.

I do different things for different recipes. And still experimenting on others.

Thanks but like I said I'm not looking for input on what I should do. It's a matter of trying both ways and doing what's best for the distiller.

I'm just interested to hear other peoples methods, what they like and dislike about running their still both ways, how their method affects their end product, etc.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

In my experience, my opinion, with my taste buds, the recipes I cook and the potstill I built... (yup, lots of disclaimers)

I do all grain whiskies, bourbons and sugarheads in 2 runs. Brandys and rums in 1 run (altho wifey likes the double run rum better). I also have a triple run mixed grain thats really really nice. Depends so much on cuts and other factors its really a loaded question.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
MadMasher
Swill Maker

Post by MadMasher »

My boiler is too small so I don't have much choice but to do 2 runs.
People talk about my drinking but never about my thirst.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Good stuff so far!
Swedish Pride wrote:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

MadMasher wrote:My boiler is too small so I don't have much choice but to do 2 runs.
By 2 runs I mean a stripper and then a spirit run of the low wines. Its usually 5 runs, all said, per batch. 4 strippers then a 10 gallon spirit run.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
MadMasher
Swill Maker

Post by MadMasher »

yeah that is what I meant too, it takes takes 5-6 strips to get to my spirit depending on wash/mash ABV.
People talk about my drinking but never about my thirst.
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

I do strips - but I have a 120L fermenter (and 2 x 60L fermenters), and I find it more efficient with my 52 QT boiler to strip it all down (especially when running all 3 fermenters) and then go for 2 spirit runs, dumping the tails from the first into the second run.

If I need more flavor, I add it in during the spirit run (add molassas for the rum, frozen corn for the UJSSM, spent grain for straight barley runs).

Plus, while stripping, I keep a loose eye on the still - when spirit running, I am sitting near that thing for hours at a time. More of a time management thing. I have done a single run before - only because I had 25L of ferment to run - so no sense stripping then running ... it tasted fine.

I guess it is all about production efficiency and time management ... both ways can make perfectly loveable likker
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I'm not sure I've settled on a method that I really like. I tried 3 stripping runs with my 5 gallon pot still and then a spirit run diluted with backset. I was a little disappointed because the flavor (SF) was a little over powering. I think that so far the run I've been most satisfied with was a XXX run with water to dilute. The SF flavor was much more subdued. It was good, but was missing the sweet undertone of flavor from the SF. I'm hoping to find a happy medium somewhere.

I'll be doing some experimenting in the spring to find the taste I like. Maybe some different recipes and other techniques. I think I'm also finding that a lot of satisfaction is gained during the post-processing phase - aging, blending, and even staged airing. We talk a lot about dialing it in, but that isn't as simple as it might seem - takes much practice and patience.

S-C
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
buflowing
Swill Maker

Post by buflowing »

For AGs and partials I do strips and then a spirit run. For UJs I do 1.5's. I always pull out a cup or so from the sweet spot on stripping runs for sipping white, unless I've sampled too much during the run.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

My $.02 worth.
Single runs are good for fruit and other flavorful washes. It also goes well with shine that's going to be aged.
Stripping and spirit runs are better for shine that's going to be consumed young and white.
I almost always do multiple runs, but I'll keep a small sample from the hearts of the stripping run.
Stavirish
Novice

Post by Stavirish »

I recently did a single run with a grain/sugar wash and came out really nice. Let it air a few days and man what a difference! Then decided what goes in the holy grail! Came out to a totall of 40% and it is sitting on oak right as we speak! Testing the flavour every week! And it is improving good! Can't wait till it is done! :)
Doomroller
Novice

Post by Doomroller »

It is my understanding (without actual experimenting) that an AG single malt that will be aged on oak gets the most flavor from the oak when 55 - 65% alcohol. If starting with an 8% wash and using a simple pot still for a single run, isn't the output < 50%?

Does this negatively impact the aging/oaking process if the product is only 40%?

Does the 1 1/2 strategy (mixing low wines with wash) get it > 55% for optimal oaking?

To clarify, my intention is to produce an Islay type Scotch or rich rum.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I only do singles on fruit schnapps, anything else, I prefer to ferment enough to fill the still three or four times to give enough low wines for a spirit run.

Used to run a preheater when doing multiple stripping runs, but didn't get around to setting it up when I moved here. Saved a helluva lot of time and heating costs. It would get quite a bit of condensate before the wash got into the pot, plus it replaced the lengthy warm up time with the few minutes it took to dump and refill the pot.
White_Lightning_Rod
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by White_Lightning_Rod »

I make really tight cuts saving maybe a quart or two of hearts on my "stripping runs" and throw the rest in to feints that I add to the next run. Since I only save so little from each run my feints jar fills really quickly when I get enough I then run that diluted to 40% as what most would call a "spirit run" that I get to keep a lot more of hearts from. I should add this is on the sweet feed recipe so when I eventually do a successful AG I will prob do it as a typical double run.
HD forum, the best damn group of criminals and outlaws you'll ever meet.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

As everyone's said its a personal taste thing on my second and third gen Ujssm single runs the flavors strongest which I like, did stripping runs to do a spirit run I got a higher abv and less taste or flavor. It's a quality and quantity issue. The best part is if you blend poorly or make bad cuts its all rerun able so you can fix what you don't like. In my opinion I like what I like, will like what you like it's all subjective and simple. Personal preference is key find yours and fall in love with what you make. If you're like me you can't keep anything long enough to not need to make more. Good luck Melloman
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

I do both.

For my AG and UJSM, I do single runs and pull out the heart of the hearts to put on oak and age. The rest get put aside to run again in a spirit run. The second run gets used for SPD or other flavored recipes, since I'm not too concerned about the flavors being present.
sounder_4
Swill Maker

Post by sounder_4 »

Odin wrote:Try distilling 1.5. Add a low wines to a part fresh wash and do a spirit run on that.

Odin.
Odin, what does "Try distilling 1.5" mean? Thanks
sounder_4
Swill Maker

Post by sounder_4 »

sounder_4 wrote:
Odin wrote:Try distilling 1.5. Add a low wines to a part fresh wash and do a spirit run on that.

Odin.
Odin, what does "Try distilling 1.5" mean? Thanks

BUMP
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I am pretty sure that you add your wash/mash to your pot and then add your low wines form the last run.
sounder_4
Swill Maker

Post by sounder_4 »

halfbaked wrote:I am pretty sure that you add your wash/mash to your pot and then add your low wines form the last run.

Should I assume that this would be done only with single runs? In other words, if stripping then you'd save the low wines up to combine for a spirit run, and not toss low wines into the next stripping run. Is this correct?
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

1.5 is adding the first strip run low wines to the next run of straight wash so yes you are correct. Ups the abv of the next wash upping the abv of output, keeping most of the flavour from the single run.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Two runs is the traditional standard, it's hard to go wrong with it, and it's how I personally like to roll.
sounder_4
Swill Maker

Post by sounder_4 »

I've been diluting with backset for the spirit run....I figure it must be adding some flavor, although I don't know for certain. Anyone else do it this way, or do you use water only?

Question: Won't adding low wines to next mash increase the alcohol level of the wash to a point where it slows or kills the yeast?
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

the low wines are added right before distilling.