Book Recommendations

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bsnapshot
Swill Maker

Book Recommendations

Post by Bsnapshot »

Does anyone have any good recommendations on books to buy on home distilling that has good recipes, info on building and operating a still?
Thanks for your help.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

1-Making Pure Corn Whiskey
2-The Compleat Distiller
3- Making Gin & Vodka

Just to name a few.....
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

new_moonshiner wrote:1-Making Pure Corn Whiskey
2-The Compleat Distiller
3- Making Gin & Vodka

Just to name a few.....

I would also highly recommend those three, especially the second, however, it may be difficult reading for some. Keep in mind that there are a few things in those books that some of the members of this forum disagree upon. Take silicone sealants, for instance. We had a thread that got locked from that kind of argument. :wink:
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
DestructoMutt
Swill Maker

Post by DestructoMutt »

although it is a beer making book, I recommend "The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian.

It covers the basics of fermentation, sanitation, ingredients (most are common to both hobbies) and yeast propagation. It also covers grain mashing.
Bsnapshot
Swill Maker

Post by Bsnapshot »

DestrutoMutt

You are right about the book The New Complete Joy Of Homebrewing.
I been brewing beer and wine for over 20 years and have mastered sanitation and fermentation. I just thought distilling would be my next step. I am just starting to learn about stills and the process. I am looking forward to making up my own recipes. I have made many recipes that have won many awards with.
oakie
Novice

Post by oakie »

Another great book is "The Alcohol Textbook." Of course it's a textbook so it's expensive but it is still an excellent book. There is a link on the mother site that has a few chapters from an older addition. I'm currently looking for a cheap used copy of this book. (can't afford the $200 for a new one right now) Or I may just save up and get the next addition when it comes out in a year or two.
rocky creek

Post by rocky creek »

Now available cd rom $95 U.S.
rumbaba
Swill Maker

Post by rumbaba »

new_moonshiner wrote:1-Making Pure Corn Whiskey
2-The Compleat Distiller
3- Making Gin & Vodka

Just to name a few.....
What new moonshiner said. Making Pure Corn Whiskey is the best text i found for the apparatus and American corn whiskey. 2 is pretty good also. Before you go out and spend heaps on books, my (and its only my personal) recommendation is Making pure corn whiskey and The Home Distiller Home page and this forum. Between these 3 you have all the reading you need.
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Post by Bujapat »

I don't know about the legality of this but here it is :

EDIT : I erased the link... Copyright problem ! :oops:
Last edited by Bujapat on Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Definitely illegal, Bujapat. You might notice that is a Russian site, and the Ruskies are not known for their respect for copyright law.

'The Compleat Distiller' ain't expensive for what you get, folks. Just US $25. Do the right thing and pay the money. The authors have earned it, and they ain't exactly getting rich off it.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

bibliography

Post by Uncle Jesse »

If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Post by Bujapat »

Sorry, found that makin' a search on Google...
I move that link away !
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Bujapat
Wasn't having a go at you, so please don't take it personally. I know it is very tempting to grab stuff like this when it is free (even if it is illegal to do so). But getting something this way is the same as saying to a plumber, come and fix my toilet, but I am not going to pay you for it. Everyone else expects to be paid for their work, so authors should get paid too.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Hook,

I certainly do agree. The "free" books (or at least many of them) which get hosted on those *.ru sites are certainly not free.

However, along the same lines, have you paid the .au govt for every drop you have produced 8) I would guess not (sorry, I could not help myself, feeling a little frisky 2day)

H.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Just read everything on homedistiller.org,and when your done,read through all the post topics on this forum,and links.I know,it will take a while but theres more information here than a stack of books.And best of all,its free!
wineo
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Husker wrote:However, along the same lines, have you paid the .au govt for every drop you have produced 8) I would guess not (sorry, I could not help myself, feeling a little frisky 2day)

H.
Not really comparable situations, are they?

Writing a book is legit private enterprise, while taxing small scale home distilling is simply unjustified government theft. Why should we pay the government for something we made, and only use for personal purposes (ie make no profit from)? Using your argument the government should be taxing the home beer brewers, and home vegie growers, etc, but they don't (and shouldn't).

I think the plumber analogy is better.

(Don't worry, I ain't taking you too seriously, but you do raise some interesting questions. And I am pretty sure you and eveyone else here agree with me. :wink: 8) )
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.