first corn whiskey distill

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

partonken
Bootlegger

first corn whiskey distill

Post by partonken »

Im new to this. I collectied up 28 litres of 33% low corn wines and put it in my ps II reflux still. I loaded it up. heads were coming off at 40 ml per minute. My reflux ratio was very low. I started getting concerned after 3 litres the distillate was still coming out at over 90% I was waiting until it came down to 80% so I could start collecting but after 3 litres I stopped because I don't want to lose all my alcohol. the book making pure corn whiskey states you collect between 80 and 65% for pure corn whiskey. Any ideas . thanks!
SoMo
Distiller

Re: first corn whiskey distill

Post by SoMo »

Depends on you, flavor is supposed to be affected above 80%, check out Odins pure corn whiskey thread.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

The percentage is just in how you are running the still. Don't try to make your cuts based on this. If you want a lower percentage and are running a reflux still, run the takeoff faster and use less packing. It will smear a little more though. You should be able to get the heads out of the way using your standard reflux method then open it up to do a faster hearts takeoff. You will get plenty of flavor this way. Just watch you don't smear the tails into it to early.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
partonken
Bootlegger

Post by partonken »

hound dog, I was thinking about turning the reflux ratio right off. This should let more flavour through. When I ran it I had a very low reflux ratio, just a trickle of water in the cooling tubes. What do you think , no reflux. I don't think the whiskey professionals use any reflux at all .
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Find Odins pure corn Whiskey thread, it might give you another idea for using your reflux for good corn whiskey.
No normal whiskey producers don't use reflux unless it's a flute.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Have to agree with SoMo. I like the results from using an LM reflux setup. It's a bit different than a CM but none the less, you can get plenty of flavor while using reflux. AND you are correct in that most whiskey makers use a pot still, not a reflux so if you want to go that route, kill the reflux condenser and let your product condencer or liebig condence the vapor right at your takeoff and you will be pot stilling. Your choice. :thumbup:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.