Over the Counter "White Dog"

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Re: Over the Counter "White Dog"

Post by MitchyBourbon »

I tried shine on Georgia moon 100% corn whisky. It was very underwhelming. The mason jar makes a good container for ghee after you pour out the previous contents.

I tried Platte Valley 100% corn whisky. I loved the hand crafted ceramic jug. The whisky... Not so much.

If I didn't know better and I do, I might begin to think I didn't like corn whisky. Now that would be scary.
I'm goin the distance...
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

I never set out to insult anyone, you brought that to this conversation. I am expressing an opinion, which may be contradictory to yours but is valid and hopefully will inspire some to push beyond simple and try to make more of their spirits.
ShineRunnah
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunnah »

I make a fair bit of AG, even malted and peat smoked my own barley a time or two, but its a pain in the ass and I don't always have time to go that route. And I like my sugar recipes quite a bit.

I am a whiskey snob, flat out. Sipping 18 yr old Dalmore as I type. I don't drink it if it ain't good, and while my "sugar whiskey" isn't Dalmore, it ain't bad either.
I don't think we need to be snobbing or judging anyone by their ferment here either. To each their own and lets leave it there. As long as you're not using the "West Coast Exterminator's" recipes, go for it and make what ya like. You gotta drink it after all!

I do agree we should all strive to be better, but enjoying the hobby is just as important.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Funny how people react so strongly to an opinion.
ShineRunnah
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunnah »

woodshed wrote:Funny how people react so strongly to an opinion.
Not disagreeing with you, or supporting anyone's argument.
Just don't think its worth trying to force ideas onto anyone.
Personally, I prefer AG's for quality, but like other options for ease of use. Not everyone is going to see things the same, just the way it goes...
Soggy Bottom Boy
Rumrunner
Location: Somewhere to the north of the.. ..Peoples Яepublik of Kalifoяnia

Post by Soggy Bottom Boy »

T-Pee wrote:You are confusing me with someone that gives a damn.
That was snobbery plain and simple.

tp
Wow! Getting worked up over a humorous comment?

"Well, ......I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!" ...Ulysses Everett McGill

"Good thing you found HD. It's like the mythbusters of distilling." ...Prairiepiss
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Got a friend that tried some of my AG and some of my UJ. He preferred the UJ because he liked that "kick" to it. Let him try to tell me which he wanted...half gallon Christmas gift (very good friend). Everybody is different. Likker is like music, go up to a DJ and say "play something good" and wait for a response on that!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Truckinbutch wrote:
ShineRunnah wrote:Distillery down the road called Smoky Quartz is making purn corn shine, no sugar added. I sure hope its better than their vodka, as it ain't impressive at thirty bucks a fifth. Gonna go take the tour and do some sampling tomorrow, see what the place got goin on. Owned by a military war veteran.
Combat vet or just got the t-shirt cause he was in the area ? There is a difference .

He ain't the tee shirt wearing kind Butch. He is red white and blue for sure and a straight shooter.

100 ways to make chicken soup.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I've made sugar heads from the tried and true many times. With dissapointment I always end up making it into vodka after sampling it, after aging. This isn't an issue when I make rum or anything else for that matter. .

Its all about making yourself happy. I am not happy with any of my faux whiskey ventures therefore am working on AG instead. Pretty simple really. WS's first bit of advice in this thread might not apply to most people which is great. But is certainly applies to me and probably others as well. However I'll still be trying Odin's rye bread recipe for the first time.

Both points of view are perfectly valid, so I see no cause for discourse. Remember we are all members of the same club. :wink:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

If you can believe Moonshiner's, Tim Smiths moonshine uses sugar and grains... Whether there is any malt or not is subject for debate...

As an aside, sure seems odd that Tim thinks he needs to change every distillery he walks into to suit his needs... :think: Maybe that's because he really doesn't understand how anything but a simple pot still works in his simple mind... :lolno:
3d0g
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3d0g »

Far be it from me to defend a TV show, but Tim has been pretty consistent about claiming to use grains in his recipe. It's also been the same mod - adding a thumper.

<edit - misread your 1st comment...>
Tim doesn't look the type to me that would grasp enzymes - gotta be malt in there somewhere for conversion...
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Commercial white dog completely sucks. I haven't tried them all but I've tried about 8 from the moonshine section of the liquor store. The stuff I make ain't fancy but at least I make cuts.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

Brutal wrote:Commercial white dog completely sucks. I haven't tried them all but I've tried about 8 from the moonshine section of the liquor store. The stuff I make ain't fancy but at least I make cuts.
Which brands have your tried so far? I personally enjoy plain corn and sugar shine when done properly, but I also really enjoy real corn whiskey and bourbon the most. Seems like most of the new distilleries have it in their business model to release unaged whiskey or what they call moonshine as a means to make some extra revenue until they can sell aged spirits. A lot of people really do enjoy corn and sugar liquor, but I think the whole moonshine thing commercially is a huge bubble that will burst soon.
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

The only one I've actually liked was from Copper Run, it was decent. Sugar/grain,ford/Chevy I can't help it if you buy a chevrorecall that's on you. Grains make a smoother spirit, sugar makes a hotter likker, I make both an AG, then a sugar head on the spent grain, friends prefer the umph of sugar, me the grain but white or on a decent toast. Goose said it best some shop at Barney's fifth avenue,some at Walmart. If you like what ya make, then life is good, keep on keeping on.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
3d0g
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3d0g »

DeepSouth wrote:Seems like most of the new distilleries have it in their business model to release unaged whiskey or what they call moonshine as a means to make some extra revenue until they can sell aged spirits. A lot of people really do enjoy corn and sugar liquor, but I think the whole moonshine thing commercially is a huge bubble that will burst soon.
Possibly, but there's no arguing the market is hot at the moment. If you're a new DSP laying down bourbon anyway, why not get some new make out on the market for some quick bucks?
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

I agree, they should try to sell unaged whiskey while they are making other products that are maturing. I think the companies that will go under when the bubble bursts are the ones whose entire company identity is moonshine and that's the only thing they make.
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

I've only tried one over the counter White Dog, all grain, and I wasn't impressed. I was touring a nearby distillery and called the guy out on the heads he left in the drink. He mumbled something about premium priced grains and profitability.

I've had good luck with both sugar heads and all grain. It really comes down to basics like patience and not being greedy, no matter what you do.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I've tried at least three or four different white dogs from the liquor store and wasn't impressed by any of them... They just aren't making decent cuts, if they're making them at all... My stripping runs taste better...!!! Can't remember now if it was Ole Smokey or Junior Johnsons that was the only borderline palatable offering... As I see it, greed is the biggest part of the problem...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

rad14701 wrote:I've tried at least three or four different white dogs from the liquor store and wasn't impressed by any of them... They just aren't making decent cuts, if they're making them at all... My stripping runs taste better..

That matches my opinion, based on the store bought "white dog" I've sampled.
I'd have no problem buying white dog from a small, just starting distiller.
The first few years, they need some thing to sell that doesn't require aging.
But to buy a jar of fake shine is sacrilege.
RNaka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RNaka »

woodshed wrote:Funny how people react so strongly to an opinion.
Maybe it's a matter of tact, often lacking in cyberspace

Reed
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

If you are referring to me Reed I will say this. The words I typed were no different than what they would be if we were sitting around the fire pullin off the same jug.

Back on topic, I have tried many of the shelf dogs. The un aged single malt from Santa Fe Spirits was the only to impress.
As a rule I try and not say bad things about other distillers. But I will speak up when they produce quality.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

I make my share of sugarheads along with ag's, i usually make sugar heads from the spent grain from my ag mashes. But as far as taste goes you can't compare one to another, the ag will win.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

It's funny how this thread twists and turns, had a buddy ask if I had anything good ? I said a little if this and that, he asked if I had some sweet feed, not a good bourbon or even the Booners which is dynamite nope wanted some Jackass Juice, so here I am whipping up a wash, no it's not malty or using the enzymes just some sweet feed. Takes all kinds of kinds, as diverse as we are.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

Ain't that the truth.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

I think I'm done with commercial 100% corn whisky. I may try some un-aged whisky that's not 100% corn and see how that goes.
I'm goin the distance...
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

woodshed wrote:The words I typed were no different than what they would be if we were sitting around the fire pullin off the same jug.
Likewise. ;)

tp
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

T-Pee wrote:
woodshed wrote:The words I typed were no different than what they would be if we were sitting around the fire pullin off the same jug.
Likewise. ;)

tp
That I can appreciate.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Often hear greed when folks talking bout bootleggers
an suger shine. Where can you buy a gal for 18 dollars of
100 proof. If there wont a market they wouldn't be cookin it.

Woodshed you heading down south I'd be comin heeled.
Just my opinion

So I'm tole
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Seriously? Heeled? That's not happening.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

goose eye wrote:Woodshed you heading down south I'd be comin heeled.
SoMo wrote:It's funny how this thread twists and turns
I dont think its funny, but I get your point SoMo... :shock: :wtf: