Poll on distilling feints (heads and tails) with pot still

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

What do you do with your tails and heads?

Combine heads and tails and add to the next spirit run (combine with low wines)
35%
Combine heads and tails and collect for separate 'all feints' run
32%
Discard the heads, re-run tails only in some fashion
16%
[Added] Discard everything, except the hearts
16%

Total votes: 37

dodgebrown
Novice

Poll on distilling feints (heads and tails) with pot still

Post by dodgebrown »

Edit: I added one more option and it reset the poll :(
Leave and learn, sorry.

I am new, but I did a lot of reading ;)
This thread in particular offers a lot of opinions http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=18823

What do you do with your feints?

Let's settle the terminology. My impression is that most people mean heads and tails, when talking about feints, while some mean tails only. For sake of clarity, I will use "tails" and "heads" implicitly.

So to make it 100% clear, we're talking about running a pot still, discard the foreshots, then there's heads fraction, then hearts and the tails in the end.
BTW, I am dumbfounded by the fact that on this site, the foreshots are usually measured by volume without any regard to the ABV and little regard to still charge volume. I personally ditch about 5% of total alcohol in the still.
Again, that was for clarification purposes on terminology.

If I didn't think about other viable options for the poll, let me know I will try to add it.
Last edited by dodgebrown on Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Poll on distilling feints (heads and tails) with pot sti

Post by still_stirrin »

Sometimes I blend feints with a rerun, as in a spirit run of a rum where the 1st & 2nd potstill runs carry a lot of flavor. I'll do a 3rd distillation and blend in a little of the feints from a previous spirit run. It is more of an exception than a rule, however.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

pot still. i throw earlyheads away and use late heads +taails
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

I do the "all feint" run with mine. I mix them all together, hit them with a little bicarb, run them through a packed column with a bubble ball under them to make neutral.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

I didn't vote because my option is not there but am interested what the rest are doing.

EDIT: Check my signature for what I do.
Last edited by steelmb on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Im a little different. I run a double thumper pot still aka old Caribbean rum style. Single run, tails in one thumper heads in the other. Have a stripped uj waiting that I may try the same thing on a spirit run.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

My option ain't there.

Anything that don't make the cut gets tossed. I got no use for it.
I'm goin the distance...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I had an accumulation of feints gathered over a couple of years , 7+ gallons . Ran that through the pot still/thumper for a spirit run . Dumped 1 quart of fores/early heads and then collected in half pint jars down to 20% . 54 half pint jars . Aired 30 +/- hrs covered and then capped .
>A week later at S3 16 Truckorama the group did cuts and blending . The end result was 2 half gallons on two oak sticks ; 1 toasted , 1 toasted and charred ; and 1 quart with 1 toasted oak stick . They went to the cellar for ageing . They will be aired periodicly and samples will be presented at S3 17 for evaluation .
>The group consensus was that the product was interesting enough to merit ageing and sampling in future years .
>You will have to stick with us for definitive answers .
Last edited by Truckinbutch on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

MitchyBourbon wrote:Anything that don't make the cut gets tossed. I got no use for it.
Lol, militant! :thumbup:

Gotta admit, I sorta feel the same way. I have been saving heads and tails in a jug, but not with any real intention of doing much with them.
And like Jedneck, I toss a very heavy "fores" jar, I don't need early heads for nuttin.
I have done all feints runs before and I haven't really liked what I pulled off, at least not as a neat drinkin whiskey.

The other problem I have is that I'm reluctant to combine my various batches together, even as feints.
I don't need to find out what it would taste like if I blend rum, whiskey, sweet potatoes, prison hooch, froot loops, cherries, walnuts, rice, yams.... you get the idea.

So I do toss the strange, one off recipes. I have kept the whiskey feints, but no rum feints as I put almost all my rum in the bottle.

What I'll probably do it try to run them through my 2 plate flute to clean them up, boost the abv, and use for a gin experiment or PD's
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Truckinbutch wrote:A week later at S3 16 Truckorama the group did cuts and blending.
As far as I'm concerned, that will be the best all feints run of all time! :wave:
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

My option not there either. I typically do strip runs on a pot still, collect late heads, hearts, tails down to 20%. Take it all and run a spirit run at around 35% low wines. Then make my cuts for oaking from that.

But one of the best of anything I made of yet was an all tails run of UJSSM.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
MitchyBourbon wrote:Anything that don't make the cut gets tossed. I got no use for it.
Lol, militant! :thumbup:

Gotta admit, I sorta feel the same way. I have been saving heads and tails in a jug, but not with any real intention of doing much with them.
I am able to make enough in one shot to last six months, so it don't make.sense for me to keep and run feints. Das ist alles.
I'm goin the distance...
MichiganCornhusker
retired

GrassHopper wrote:But one of the best of anything I made of yet was an all tails run of UJSSM.
A couple years ago, way back when ShineOnCrazyDiamond was a fresh distillin' rookie, he brought a jar of his UJ feints run to Jed's for us to sample.
I thought it was his best stuff at the time, lots of great flavor.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
GrassHopper wrote:But one of the best of anything I made of yet was an all tails run of UJSSM.
A couple years ago, way back when ShineOnCrazyDiamond was a fresh distillin' rookie, he brought a jar of his UJ feints run to Jed's for us to sample.
I thought it was his best stuff at the time, lots of great flavor.
Who would have thunk! I was fairly new (still am) back then and just kept on throwing those nasty tails in a carbuoy not really knowing what to do with them.....glad I kept them.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

dodgebrown wrote:BTW, I am dumbfounded by the fact that on this site, the foreshots are usually measured by volume without any regard to the ABV and little regard to still charge volume. I personally ditch about 5% of total alcohol in the still.
There is no such thing as making cuts by volume, temperature, or %ABV - period...!!! Smell, taste, and feel are the only ways to make accurate cuts... Now, that being said, once you've run a specific recipe through a specific still multiple times you might be able to use those other methods to get close, but they are not nearly as accurate as smell, taste, and feel... You're not a commercial distillery that has to answer to the bean counters in the accounting department so you can, and should, strive to make better cuts than the commercial distilleries do...
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

jedneck wrote:pot still. i throw earlyheads away and use late heads +taails
This is what I do. Just like Jedneck
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

dodgebrown wrote:I am new, but I did a lot of reading ;)
This thread in particular offers a lot of opinions http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=18823

What do you do with your feints?

Let's settle the terminology. My impression is that most people mean heads and tails, when talking about feints, while some mean tails only. For sake of clarity, I will use "tails" and "heads" implicitly.

So to make it 100% clear, we're talking about running a pot still, discard the foreshots, then there's heads fraction, then hearts and the tails in the end.
BTW, I am dumbfounded by the fact that on this site, the foreshots are usually measured by volume without any regard to the ABV and little regard to still charge volume. I personally ditch about 5% of total alcohol in the still.
Again, that was for clarification purposes on terminology.

If I didn't think about other viable options for the poll, let me know I will try to add it.
FORESHOTS
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

rad14701 wrote:
dodgebrown wrote:BTW, I am dumbfounded by the fact that on this site, the foreshots are usually measured by volume without any regard to the ABV and little regard to still charge volume. I personally ditch about 5% of total alcohol in the still.
There is no such thing as making cuts by volume, temperature, or %ABV - period...!!! Smell, taste, and feel are the only ways to make accurate cuts... Now, that being said, once you've run a specific recipe through a specific still multiple times you might be able to use those other methods to get close, but they are not nearly as accurate as smell, taste, and feel... You're not a commercial distillery that has to answer to the bean counters in the accounting department so you can, and should, strive to make better cuts than the commercial distilleries do...
MichiganCornhusker
retired

dodgebrown wrote:the foreshots are usually measured by volume without any regard to the ABV and little regard to still charge volume.
I've always read that you can figure about 50ml per gallon in a potstill can be tossed as fores.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I generally save mine until I have enough to make up a full still charge of 1/3 fresh wash 2/3 feints, distil, then rapid age to use as drinking likker to keep me out of the aging cellar.

I have had feints stored for so long they were damned near drinkable by the time I got around to running them, so I've recently started putting my spent oak chips and dominoes in the feints jars to see if that makes for a better feints run..
MichiganCornhusker
retired

NZChris wrote:I generally save mine until I have enough to make up a full still charge of 1/3 fresh wash 2/3 feints,...
That seems like a great idea.
I started out with a simple pot still, but now I have a keg and and thumper which I use for steam stripping.

In addition to feints in my carboy, I've been starting to steam strip the spent grains and lees from my whiskey ferments and adding those low wines to the jug.
Between adding my trub strip, and charging my thumper with fresh wash, or even "spent" grains from another run, I bet I could make something interesting after all.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

bitter wrote:
jedneck wrote:pot still. i throw earlyheads away and use late heads +taails
Me also.but I just add them into the next run of the same thing. When I finally finish up my thumper they will be used to charge it.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Guess I should have clicked on the "all the above and other"
But there wasn't that option :lol:
The best use of feints is to feed the packed CM column.
Full_moon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Full_moon »

jedneck wrote:
pot still. i throw earlyheads away and use late heads +taails

Cranky's spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers

Me too
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

Its been a while since my last runs of Hook Rum. I bottled 2 generations and have Gen #3 sitting as low wines in the garage... aging :oops:

In addition to the several gallons of low wines, I also have my heads and tails saved form all previous runs. Probably enough for a run in my 5 gal alembic potstill.

As the winter gets closer, my work schedule gets lighter. Last winter I was so busy with work that I left my low wines for another time. I hope to get to it this winter.

SO what do I do with my low wines?
Mix them with some rum beer and run them?
Mix them with fresh spring water and run them?
Add them to Gen #3 Hook Rum?

Its a nice challenge, and nothing I am ready to start this month :roll:

Cheers y'all!!!
My Uncke Mo taught me how to make apple Jack when I was in 6th Grade.

Questions? Read this first...
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=52975
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

What we have from S3 16 Truckorama is coloring well and smelling interesting . We'll have to judge that all feints UJ run at the next S3 gathering . As it stands ; I would have hated to have thrown away that gallon and a quarter of likker gleaned from the all feints run as waste . Even bad likker is better than no likker at all .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

C'mon guys this is a darn good thread with some great personal insights. Step up to the plate and throw your vote into the hat !!!!!! It's anonymous.

I don't distill nearly as much as some folks here so for me to save up for an all feints run or to blend into the next run isn't very practical for me so everything but the hearts has been tossed.Not against what seems a lot or maybe even most of you are doing it's just what has transpired for me.Actually have a keg just for the expressed purpose of saving those heads and tails in the future. Might be tasty !!!! 8)

Carry on.

FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

FreeMountainHermit wrote:Actually have a keg just for the expressed purpose of saving those heads and tails in the future. Might be tasty !!!! 8)
Put the spent oak from your aging jars in it, try not to over oak. When you do finally get enough feints for a run, check the color and flavor and if it doesn't look or taste over oaked, put the oak in the boiler too. Don't add water unless you really have to, (my feints average around 40%). Run into jars then choose your blend the next day using taste alone, ignoring any preconceived ideas of what to expect. I've only done one run like this (UJSSM) and the result was a very pleasant surprise with the highest yield I've ever had from a feints run.
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

So what does the spent oak in the boiler accomplish? Not a criticism, I really just don't know.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Depends.
If I'm running the same mash/wash after I reuse the faints, if a different mash/wash It goes to the faint jug.
So far I've not got around to running an all faints run, been used in cleaning runs after modifications.

I had a gallon of faints from brandy, Irish AG, Bourbon AG and CF, should be a fair bit of etho in there, as cuts were tight on CF to drink white.
May give NZ Chris's idea of throwing oak in there a go.
Don't be a dick