Cleaning scorch out of a converted keg

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cleaning scorch out of a converted keg

Post by pope »

I've done a lot of searching and haven't found anything that seems to address this unique problem, but I could always have overlooked something. I scorched my keg badly on a gas burner (loaded it with strained on-the-grain mash and let it sit overnight, a morning shake wasn't enough to get sediment off the bottom, apparently), and have been trying to get it clean. The baked-on crud is in a ring about 4" across, with a 4" diameter clean spot in the middle (my burner has no flame in the middle of the manifold). If I had to guess I'd say it's about 1/8" thick.

My two ports are 1.5" on the side near the bottom (for electric element), and the 2" standard opening at the top. My arms and the arms of my loved ones are all too big to fit in the small holes, so I've been soaking it with sodium hydroxide solution to break up the crud. But I still have to get at it somehow with some pressure to release it from the floor of the keg. I have a nylon-bristle carboy brush that isn't cutting it. I haven't tried a pressure washer yet (after thoroughly removing the NaOH solution, of course) but I don't really have access to one. Last resort is having a 4" triclamp 'manway' added to the side just so I can salvage the vessel.

Thoughts, or anecdotes from someone who's had a similar experience?
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
rad14701
retired

Re: Cleaning scorch out of a converted keg

Post by rad14701 »

Water and stones, lava rock, or stainless steel chain sloshed about usually works...
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

It bein ss cook it out

So I'm tole
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Cut a hole in it large enough to fit an angle grinder through and fit a Tri Clamp and sightglass in the hole when you're done.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

An overnight soak with PBW would probably do it. There is a recipe for home made PBW, which people say works great. It's a 7-3 ratio of Oxyclean-7. And TSP-3 (Trisodium Phosphate)
The trick with PBW is to get the solution to 150 degrees, and use it at about 1 tbsp per gallon of water.
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

rad14701 wrote:Water and stones, lava rock, or stainless steel chain sloshed about usually works...
What Rad said, then put the keg in the car and drive around with it for a couple days.
My double walled boiler build: The Mashimizer. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64980
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

Nothing cleans stainless better than stainless scrubbies. Wire a couple up on the end of a broom stick with a bit of detergent and elbow grease.
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

If you're adamant about a pressure wash, but don't want to buy one take it to a car wash bay. I'd definitely sanitize it when you're done though.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

goose eye wrote:It bein ss cook it out
+1
Been there, done that. Goose knows best.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Cook it out... boiled with water or dry until it stops smoking?

The lye soak removed most of the gunk with a little encouragement from regular garden hose pressure and a nozzle. May try a few different things including a second soak, but I did get a stainless scrubby in there and used a piece of pipe to work it in circles for a while, getting close to clean.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

pope wrote:Cook it out... boiled with water or dry until it stops smoking?
Fire, no water. It will cook right off the metal. Worked well for me.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

it should just boil off, just put a gallon of water in and boil it. then scrape it with a coat hanger. anything left wont make a big difference unless you really made a mess. repeat it a couple of time if you need to.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck