Heated thumper??

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

distiller_dresden
Trainee

Heated thumper??

Post by distiller_dresden »

Anybody ever tried heating the thumper or looked into heating it? It occurred to me waiting for it to burble that I was waiting for it to heat up in order for my steam to get through the thumper so I could start seeing shine come out. Then it occurred to me that if the thumper, or liquid inside, was hot already when the steam hit it then the steam would sail right through and I would see shine that much quicker. I haven't seen anything about this in any books I have or any literature I've read; I searched these threads and didn't immediately see anyone talking about heating the thumper...

So, thoughts? Has anyone done it? Would there be benefits I'm rationalizing? Or are there drawbacks I'm not thinking of? Is there something more complex going on?
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Bushman
Admin

Re: Heated thumper??

Post by Bushman »

Do a google search on HD, I don't run a pot still with thumper but I have read a lot of information on heating vs not heating the thumper.
Kareltje
Distiller

Re: Heated thumper??

Post by Kareltje »

I ran some calculations.
Say you have 12 %ABV in both boiler and thumper.

When you start with a cold thumper, the vapour from the boiler will condense in the thumper, thereby heating it up and adding 57 %ABV fluid to the thumper. This goes on until the contents of the thumper reach the boiling point. At that time about 20 % of the contents of the boiler will be transferred to the thumper and the % in the thumper will have risen to about 17 %ABV. Then the vapour coming from the thumper will be about 74 %ABV.

When you heat up the thumper before running, the vapour from the boiler can hardly condense and will bring the thumper to a boil almost immediately. So the 12 %ABV in the thumper will give a vapour (and distillate) of about 60 %ABV.

But when you run it until 0 % in the parrot, the total amount and % of both procedures is the same. The only difference is the needed time for a run.

Best way to find out is: try it once or twice and see what suits you best. And report back to us, please.