Plate Still water routing....

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dan Call
Swill Maker

Plate Still water routing....

Post by Dan Call »

I've digested the "Flute Talk" thread and repeated large chunks, read threads on several "flute" builds. I've watched youtube videos.

I have built the "Smilley Still" slightly larger and it worked fine, done many runs, and I had the fuel still license up until moving to another state but have not renewed it.

Here is my question and issue. I am ready to finish my plate still build just like in Flute talk, call parts, collumn cut, sight windows, I have all the parts and more.

Okay...I as of yet cannot get clear on the input and output configuration of the water lines and smaller tubes on the side of the shotgun condensor.
Hillbilly has the most common setup, and I've seen several others. I get it that water is split between dephlag and condensor and goes out the back of the condensor.

Could someone please draw a simple, crude diagram with the ins and outs and valve positions denoted?? I just can't get clear on it and it's driving me batty.

Just the simplest of the diagrams depicting the two small copper tubes as they attach to the condensor/dephlag.

I would really appreciate it. I've looked at picture after picture, but I need a very basic, sectionalized depiction.

Thanks!!!
1999 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Plate Still water routing....

Post by Yummyrum »

Well sadly you will not get a definative reply as there are several ways that guys do it and each will tell you that their way works perfectly fine ..... indead they will ... otherwise they would change it right ?

Personally I split the water with a "why" and feed the bottom of both condensers . I have a gate valve at the top of the PC and a needle valve at the top of the RC ( deflagmator) . The output from both valves join back together with another "why" and return to the tank .
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I probably do it differently than anybody else. I run 2 separate pumps in 2 separate reservoirs. One feeds the RC in at the bottom with a valve before the inlet so pressure is kept to a minimum in my RC because I don't trust my soldering job. The other goes to the PC which also goes in at the bottom with a valve on the inlet side. My RC water tends to get warmer much faster than the PC water. I seldom have to adjust the valve on the PC but usually wind up tweaking the valve on the RC while running.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Basically in at the bottom, out at top on both rc and pc.
Counter flow.
Most needle or gate valve the top (outlet) on the rc to prevent cavitation or dry condition.
Product condenser valving not imperative, and usually an operator preference.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!