Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sous Vide Pod

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

I just saw this on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-GSV130-D ... B017HX1FTC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The temp gauge is suppose to be real accurate and it circulates the water.
What do you think about using this for removing heads if you screwed up your cuts?
Might be a better solution than nuclear aging. Does anyone have any thoughts or have one of these?
Just stirring the pot. So to speak. :D :roll:
JBC
JBC
nathar
Novice

Re: Sous Vide Pod

Post by nathar »

I've made sous vide steak and fish, but not whiskey (went back to very charcoal searing the steak and frying the fish after the novelty wore off :D ).

Your idea is to hold the spirits at an exact temperature and "boil off" the undesirable chemicals?

I don't know about the chemistry, but the sous vide I have is accurate to a tenth of a degree. I use it when making yogurt and cheese where holding exact temperatures for a considerable time is needed.
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

A lot of undesirables do evaporate with time,thats why we leave the cutting jars open for a time after distillation. And warmer stuff evaporates more readily than colder stuff, that is a fundamenatal part of hydrodynamics. Wether keeping your jar at 50C for a month or 20C for a month makes any noticable difference is a matter for a scientific experiment. If you feel up to it, I say go and do it. My prediction though, is that the difference is small enough that just waiting twice the time at 20C will be equal to or better than the time spent at 50C.
Always impatient. But learning.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I have a sous vide and it should work fine for boiling off higher alcohols if you want to do this. Heat is heat, after all, wether it’s an element, flame, light, pumped hot liquid or gas. Sous vide pumps are very accurate, and mine will go up to 185 F which is more than hot enough. Just make sure it is a double boiler setup where your sous vide is pumping water in a bath for your open air alcohol container.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels