Paper: Fats have an affinity for tannins

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Paper: Fats have an affinity for tannins

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/03 ... tty-foods/

Supposition: For spirits that have more tails (made of esters and other lipids from yeast) the effect is the same with barrels (oaking). Maybe this is one of the reasons spirits that tend to be more tailsy have better flavor with aging than those that do not (eg a barrel aged vodka).
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Paper: Fats have an affinity for tannins

Post by Deplorable »

Wide cuts make better aged whiskey.

Tagged for later reading at work.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

You beat me to it. I'd have probably found that article tonight or tomorrow and pasted it here somewhere eventually.

I wasn't sure what a “charcuterie board” was though. When reading the caption under the picture in the Ars article, I was uncertain or not if it needed to look like the dirty roof shingle under that cheese.

Quote: "Dietary oils are able to decrease the astringency induced by vegetable tannins," the authors wrote.

That's interesting. The takeaway is that there is a mutual affinity between tannins and lipids. Fine.

Another momentous quote: “Our results highlight that dietary lipids are crucial molecular agents impacting our sensory perception during wine consumption”.

But I know that professional vinters can and often do – deliberately adjust the levels of tannin in their wines. And that they may craft a wine to be consumed alone; not for the sake of digestion of fatty snacks on the side. (So -just how crutial do those dietery lipids become, then)?

Side note: the article and source make no mention of the popular matching between chocolates and ports.
Omnia mea mecum porto
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Putting grease in your mouth kills astringency.
Who'da thunk it.