vapor speed

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

vapor speed

Post by bunny »

Please share your understanding of how to measure vapor speed.

The vapor speed calculator seems to be the only magical and instant way to determine vapor speed.
However it does not mention heat loss through the boiler or column making input wattage somewhat questionable.
The column diameter does account for actual measured IDs which are usually not nominal.
Now I understand if I use a controller I probably will need a "True RMS" VOM to determine wattage.

A little experience with your apparatus will teach you how to navigate around the flood stages and keep you out of most trouble.

But, if you ask me my vapor speed, or wattage my answer has to be "somewhere about XXX" (fiik).

Can you give me a "firmer" answer with any confidence?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: velocità del vapore

Post by Demy »

I know that it is not the answer you are looking for but I personally do not impose the power based on calculations but simply (after a little running-in = knowledge of your equipment) I impose it according to the type of column / apparatus I use and according to the speed of the product I want. Calculations may be useful for sizing your equipment but there is always a practical/error margin
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: vapor speed

Post by bluefish_dist »

I too just use the vapor speed as a power guideline. It give me an idea of what the maximum power I should use. Then I adjust up to that based on how the column behaves. Often I end up a little slower than the calculator due to flooding.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

If someone asked me the vapor speed, my answer would be "fiik, but the likker comes off the spout at xxx ml/min."
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

on my flutes, i regulate vapour speed by looking at the height of the liquid/boil on the plates, the returned reflux and product take off. i use an SCR to regulate power and read the amps to the element.

but it is not in meter/second and i have not used the calc yet.... maybe i should visit it sometime but i doubt it will help me much. it is easier to dail to the usual amps and fine tune from there.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:41 pm If someone asked me the vapor speed, my answer would be "fiik, but the likker comes off the spout at xxx ml/min."
Ah!
You have touched upon another of my disappointments.
Your drips are not likely to be the same size as my drops/sec.
However I know exactly what you mean when you say xxx ml/min.
How you or I got there needs to be expressed via vapor speed/wattage.
Now I am unable to compute my wattage through the SCR because I need a "True RMS" volt meter.

Setsumi wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:26 pm on my flutes, i regulate vapour speed by looking at the height of the liquid/boil on the plates, the returned reflux and product take off. i use an SCR to regulate power and read the amps to the element.

but it is not in meter/second and i have not used the calc yet.... maybe i should visit it sometime but i doubt it will help me much. it is easier to dail to the usual amps and fine tune from there.
Sadly, I have only built insulated "Karnack" type packed columns.
I must listen, deduce and then guess what's going on inside without actually looking.
I'm getting much better at it with practice.
I too drive this boiler via the ammeter.
JCraigR
Novice

Post by JCraigR »

Another way to determine vapor speed is to determine the power that your condenser has to dissipate. This should account for heat losses through the boiler/column. I have posted the scheme that I use in estimating power to my boiler here: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=83582