https://oaktrust.library.tamu.edu/bitst ... sequence=1

I'm including his tweet in case you would want to follow him or ask questions:
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Re: CHARTING A CHEMICAL ROADMAP OF TERROIR IN CORN

Post by Irishgnome »

Thanks for the post SMY!
Love this stuff!
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Thanks for posting this. I'll be downloading this for consumption later over a glass of bourbon.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

"in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY "

I for one, thought it a little odd for a student of philosophy to be writing his dissertation on the unrelated subject of corn cultivation and “terroir” in whiskey. (I had to look that French word up).

I briefly searched information (from Harvard Univ., Brown Univ., Univ. of Arizona, Univ. of Oregon, Univ. Of Melbourne and others) for PhD of Philosophy requirements. I found some similarities, but in general a much broader variance in acceptable ancillary subject matter than would be accepted for other disciplines. For example you would expect a prospective PhD of Math to write a dissertation – on calculus or something. You would expect the dissertation from a PhD in Physics to concentrate on something specific within the field, like chemical thermodynamics for instance.

So I learned: that
“the doctor of philosophy (PhD) degree signifies mastery of a broad discipline of learning together with demonstrated competence in a special field within that discipline”.

"In the context of the Doctor of Philosophy.......the term "philosophy" does not refer to the field or academic discipline of philosophy, but is used in a broader sense in accordance with its original Greek meaning, which is "love of wisdom."
Omnia mea mecum porto
peach travis
Novice

Post by peach travis »

Contra, you know that Doctor of Philosophy is what PhD stands for, right?

Following your examples above, you’d say that Mr Arnold is pursuing a PhD in Plant Breeding, hence the subject matter.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

peach travis wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:16 am Contra, you know that Doctor of Philosophy is what PhD stands for, right?
No I didn't. Not until now anyway. I guess that I've been using the terms “doctorate” and “PhD” interchangeably all this time. A "Doctor of Philosophy" degree, is a misleading moniker.
PhDshot002.jpg
Since there is a “Doctor of Practical Theology” (DPT, DPTh) and a Doctor of Psychology (D.Psy/Psy.D) among many others; I just figured there was a doctorate for the field of discipline of philosophy, too. (You know; ethics, logic, origin of the universe and other stuff discussed by the likes of Plato and Aristotle). I guess the correct title for a philosophy professor would be Dr. of Natural Philosophy or Dr. of Natural Science or just “Dr. Phil” ?
Omnia mea mecum porto
peach travis
Novice

Post by peach travis »

Haha well you might expect it to be DPhil, but confusingly that’s what they call a PhD at Oxford.

Interesting subject matter either way, so thanks for posting.
Rorschach
Novice

Post by Rorschach »

Thanks! I bought another bottle of Abasolo whiskey yesterday cause I like it and for the reasons of this post. Support of native Mexican corn and their twist on mashing.
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

Once upon a time, “philosophy” meant most of the academic disciplines — scientists were called “natural philosophers.”

As someone with one of them PhD thingies (and not in Philosophy) I can tell you that it really signifies that you know how to write a book (like “Charting a Chemical Roadmap of Terroir in Corn”) that won’t embarrass your grad school advisors.

I’ve definitely seen the effect of terroir of grain and hops in beer, but this makes me want to try some experiments with different grain sources in my washes, too.
qui bene bibit est beatus
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

myself has a professional master and a m. phil.... myself think crontahead has a correct and nice discussion point. then i am on record that althoug i am in academia my focus is brewing and distilling for my next experience.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

Now that I think of it, this fella Arnold may be more of a philosopher than the philosophers. After all, “malt does more than Milton can, do justify God’s ways to man”…
qui bene bibit est beatus