Condensation Temperature

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

d10
Novice

Condensation Temperature

Post by d10 »

Hello i have a pot still in which I distill gin, im using a liebig condenser, as you see in the picture, and cold the water with ice cubes to keep the tempemperature of in water to 23 C, in that way i get the distill come out to 20 C. And now the question is, what temperature do you consider that the water must entry in the condenser? I know its depend on diferents parameters like, area, long of pipe, numbers of these and angle of inclination, but generaly en that case, what would do you recomend?
Regards
WhatsApp Image 2021-10-19 at 6.36.24 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-10-19 at 6.36.23 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-10-24 at 3.36.54 PM.jpeg
MihiT
Bootlegger

Re: Condensation Temperature

Post by MihiT »

A brew room! Lovely!

Any temperature below condensing point will, obviously, condense (or "knock down") the vapour. Running that cold will be costing a lot in cooling.
As long as there's no vapour at your distillate output, your temp is OK.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you are concerned about the amount of cooling water you need, control the temperature of the condensate by controlling the water flow. I use solenoids or pumps to control the condensate temperature using a thermocouple in the outlet stream. On/off control works for me as my condensers are not undersized. If you wanted to, you could set the temperature to match your alcometer.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

I'm jealous. A nice room. I'm looking at a 1.5m square in the corner.
Any reason not to run straight from the cold water tap to a 55-gallon fermenter?
Preheat your water and pitch a sugar wash.

colder is better you can run a lower volume of water.
If you have ice-cold water from the tap you will save total volume and as an added bonus it heats up the water for a sugar wash.
Fill up your 55-gallon blue barrel with sugar as you distill your keg still and pitch your yeast.'

Sour mash with your stillage.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

tiramisu wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:56 pm I'm jealous. A nice room. I'm looking at a 1.5m square in the corner.
Any reason not to run straight from the cold water tap to a 55-gallon fermenter?
Preheat your water and pitch a sugar wash.

colder is better you can run a lower volume of water.
If you have ice-cold water from the tap you will save total volume and as an added bonus it heats up the water for a sugar wash.
Fill up your 55-gallon blue barrel with sugar as you distill your keg still and pitch your yeast.'

Sour mash with your stillage.
The lowered PH will keep bacteria down.
Make a bourbon.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

As long as you can break down all the steam and your outbound distillate keeps that temperature it will be fine, I don't think there is a specific temperature for incoming water. More cold and you can use less water, hottest and you have to slightly increase the speed of water. Excellent your distillation room, congratulations.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

As mentioned , as long as the Distillate is fully condenced when it exits the still , it does not matter much what temperature it is .

I notice you have a coolant tank that I guess you recycle water through .
As a general rule , on a Pot still , when either stripping or doing a spirit run , your coolant tank needs to be about twice the volume as your boiler charge to give a good margin . And thats starting out at room temp .

So if you have a 50 litre boiler , 100litre coolant tank will be more than enough water to cool and entire run .

But you need to let it cool back down before you do another run .

Things get much different when you use a still with reflux such as a Boka , CCVM or Plated still . You could need up to 20-30 times ( depending on reflux ratio you drive it with ) the boiler volume as coolant because of the extra energy that needs to be absorbed during the run .
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

:wtf: I'll be that guy, probably best to lose the plastic funnel
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Sporacle wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:51 am :wtf: I'll be that guy, probably best to lose the plastic funnel
Thanks for the extra set of eyeballs Sporacle . Can’t have enough plastic Police around here . :thumbup: