Ginger beer

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ginger beer

Postby MaxMondo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:07 am

Anyone tried making alcoholic ginger beer. I think I might like too...
MaxMondo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ginger beer

Postby MichiganCornhusker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:37 am

Many many many times. Was always my favorite.
Grate up a big ol fresh ginger root, you won’t regret it.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
Site Mod

Postby The Baker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Son and brother-in-law made some recently and they rate it as pretty much a failure.

I said, don't throw it out, I will put a run through the pot still and see if I recover any alcohol. And maybe there will be some ginger flavour.

MichiganCornhusker, could you let me know the recipe? It would be good to start with a known successful recipe!

Geoff
The Baker
The Baker
Distiller

Postby MichiganCornhusker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Ah, t’was many a long year ago that I was a maniacal home brewer.

I never really had “recipes”, just a lot of adventures.
Ginger, beets, spruce, coocoa, pumpkin (before there ever was pumpkin beer if you can imagine that), even tried jicama once, didn’t work.

I’m sure I used a version of a ginger recipe from Charle Papazian’s book, it was the best and almost only resource back then.

I loved it, but you gotta love ginger.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
Site Mod

Postby The Baker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:52 pm

Thanks anyway, MC

Does anyone else have a recipe??

Geoff
The Baker
The Baker
Distiller

Postby zapata » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:11 am

I've made the ginger saison from Extreme Brewing by Sam Cagalaglioniongi (whatever the guy from dogfish head's name is). Made it twice actually. Per book the ginger is good, but subtle. So I made it again and doubled the ginger. It was good, but not subtle. hehehe choose your own adventure. Pretty sure the recipe is pretty widely available online if you search (well, pretty sure the whole book is too!).

I make a (mostly) non-alchoholic ginger beer which is fermented with ginger beer plant. If you don't know, ginger beer plant (sometimes called ginger beer bug) is a poly-culture thing kind of like kombucha, more like kefir. It's freaking good if you're a fermentation zingy wierdo. I am.

Strangely enough I've been falling a bit flat just trying to make a plain old sweet soda pop style ginger beer, lol.
zapata
Trainee

Postby MaxMondo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Just searching the web, and came across this recipe, using honey and malt extract.
https://youtu.be/jLi8l_jXLas
MaxMondo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby TDick » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:00 am

MaxMondo wrote:Anyone tried making alcoholic ginger beer. I think I might like too...
:H
Haven't tried but this seems like a fairly straightforward method. This guy's obviously NOT a distiller, so you could adapt standard methods to what he's doing

I included this one because it shows a simple method to make the bug, and it includes directions for Apple Ginger Beer, which sounds like it would be good and makes me think about distilling an Apple Ginger sugarhead.

I thought I'd include this one because most videos call for making a Ginger Bug, using wild yeast to ferment. This 18th Century version uses molasses and boils it up and uses packaged yeast:

:wtf:
TDick
Swill Maker

Postby MaxMondo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:14 am

Bamaberry wrote:
MaxMondo wrote:Anyone tried making alcoholic ginger beer. I think I might like too...
:H
Haven't tried but this seems like a fairly straightforward method. This guy's obviously NOT a distiller, so you could adapt standard methods to what he's doing

I included this one because it shows a simple method to make the bug, and it includes directions for Apple Ginger Beer, which sounds like it would be good and makes me think about distilling an Apple Ginger sugarhead.

I thought I'd include this one because most videos call for making a Ginger Bug, using wild yeast to ferment. This 18th Century version uses molasses and boils it up
:wtf:

I'd like to see your stuff, but your links are not showing up here.... ahhhh add blocker...
Last edited by MaxMondo on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaxMondo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby zapata » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Links are working for me.
That is not what I call ginger beer bug/ginger beer plant though.
I use something like this:
https://www.yemoos.com/pages/ginger-beer-plant
No doubt the wild yeast and bacteria starter shown in that vid would ferment, it just seems really unlikely you would end up with the same kind of SCOBY like a ginger beer plant. In fact there was a trend several years ago to refer to SCOBY based brews as "real ginger beer", though I find that a bit pretentious it does highlight the difference.
(Btw, this is for the acidic, kombucha like brews. For the ginger saison I used a traditional saison yeast)
zapata
Trainee

Postby Stew8 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:12 pm

This has been a successful recipe given to my by a buddie, Daryl.
Alcoholic ginger beer
1kg of root ginger grated
1.5kg brown sugar
1.5kg of white
1 tsp of Tatar
1 tsp crushed chilli (optional but gives it additional bite)
23l water

I generally heat up a pot of water and dissolve the sugar and pour the hot mixture over the ginger in the fermenting tub.
Top up with water to pitching temp and Throw in yeast, I use a generic dried wine yeast. A tsp or so.

When fermented out I use a cold break to settle everything (in a fridge for a day or two) and then syphon into bottles. Can prime to make fizzy or bottle before completely fermented out. Beware if using glass bottles. If you buy cheap water from the supermarket in large plastic bottles tip out the water and fill with ginger beer, provides a reasonably safe and Sterile bottle,

I guess you could increase the sugar if you wanted it as a wash rather than “just” ginger beer

Good luck.
Stew8
Novice

Postby MaxMondo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:34 am

Looks like my add blocker blocked the links from Bamaberry... just switched my browser and can see them now...

Lot of different varities and methods of producing this it seems.

The ginger beer plant and gingerbug are interesting and maybe worth my time to experiment with...

I guess it boils down to what suits my taste, as I'm trying add another dimension to the whiskey with beer chaser method of imbibition.

I'm thinking the corn flakes/faux whiskey, has a lot of corn flavor, and chasing it with ginger beer might be an interesting alternative to the, Shot of Beam and chase with a Bud, thing. :crazy:
MaxMondo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby The Baker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:16 am

Thanks, Stew8, I will suggest the boys try this.

Geoff
The Baker
The Baker
Distiller

Postby DetroitDIY » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:48 pm

I've made alcoholic ginger beer twice, two different recipes. Neither one is good enough to pass on. I've also made ginger beer soda a number of times with better success. Tried a little design of experiments a few years back to dial in the yeast, sugar, ginger that I like. Oddly enough, when I mixed one of my ginger beer sodas with the alcoholic ginger beer it was pretty darn good. Never tried a ginger bug yet... but I'm making kombucha these days, I wonder if that SCOBY would do well to ferment a ginger beer.

Tried my hand at milk pasteurization of the ginger beer sodas... I was about 90% successful, but those 10% failures made an awful mess in the kitchen. A few attempts at that and now my wife has banned me from further attempts in the house. Bought a sous vide cooker recently and plan to try that in a kettle outside to see if I have better success with he pasteurization. I'm very into the bottle carbonation, and don't have a CO2 system.

I've looked at a number of recipes on the web for the alcoholic version... still searching. If you have one you like, please share the recipe. Thanks.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby zapata » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:50 am

Here's the one I did, but double the ginger if you want any more than a hint
20180130_034034-600x752.png

20180130_033943-600x821-510x698.png

Well, that was the recipe I used at least, I may well have done the process pretty different, I don't remember. But I like the beer, definitely more of a ginger BEER than a GINGER beer.
zapata
Trainee

Return to Beer, and Wine