Chokecherry wine

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BertaCowboy
Novice

Chokecherry wine

Post by BertaCowboy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:22 am

Its looking like this year i will have a bumper crop of chokecherries and was wondering who has a tried and true wine recipe?
Thanks

8Ball
Rumrunner

Re: Chokecherry wine

Post by 8Ball » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:21 pm

Never heard of chokecherries, sounds interesting. This might help you: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2196

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.

Farside
Bootlegger

Post by Farside » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:35 pm

Any luck?
I picked 25lb of chokecherres this year. I froze them, thawed them, simmered them with a little water to make crushing easier, crushed them and fermented them as you would a red wine.

Once the cap no longer formed, I pressed the wine off.

It has a ton of pulp in there still which is normal in my experience so I will rack it and transfer the sediment into smaller vessels, and finally freeze filter it to get the last of the liquid out.

It will then sit in the secondary for a year so the acidity and astringencyhss a chance to work out.

The wine I made last year is excellent but I won't be drinking it for another year because I will be freeze concentrating it into a chokecherry port, and letting it age on oak.

subbrew
Novice

Post by subbrew » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:44 pm

If you still have those chokecherries in the freezer I recommend https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/wi ... ne.121092/. I have tried Yooper's wine and it is wonderful