TN- Yee Haw Dunkel

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

TN- Yee Haw Dunkel

Post by SmokyMtn »

I don't make beer, but I do drink beer.

If you get the chance to buy some Yee Haw " Dunkel ". Give it a try if you like dark beer. I can only find it at liquor stores. It has some great flavor and 5.5 abv if memory serves me. Normally I'm a PBR guy, but will occasionally splurge on Yee Haw. My only complaint is I haven't found it in bottles yet. Made in East TN, give em a try
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: TN- Yee Haw Dunkel

Post by still_stirrin »

I’ve not had the Hee-Haw, but I have had a few liters of this one, fresh off the brewery’s taps.
Dunkelbier
Dunkelbier
Delicious, especially when served by the fraulein.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:34 am I’ve not had the Hee-Haw, but I have had a few liters of this one, fresh off the brewery’s taps.
SS, Were you in Germany? I grew up in Heidelberg as an army brat in my teens and early 20's - All kinds of trouble. Yearly O'Fest pilgrimages were definitely a thing. Nothing like a few Masskrugs or 0,5l flasche to warm the spirit!

Prost!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:52 am… Were you in Germany? …
Yes, spent my honeymoon (17 years ago) in Bavaria. Skied the Zugspitze too. There’s no place like Germany, feels like “home”. And yes, we toured the Heidelberg castle. Toured all the major breweries too, from Dusseldorf to Aying.
ss
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:32 am
jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:52 am… Were you in Germany? …
Yes, spent my honeymoon (17 years ago) in Bavaria. Skied the Zugspitze too. There’s no place like Germany, feels like “home”. And yes, we toured the Heidelberg castle. Toured all the major breweries too, from Dusseldorf to Aying.
ss
Nice! I lived right across the Neckar river from the Heidelberg castle with my parents for a bit and around town for a few years when they moved to Scotland. They were doing construction on the castle facade and us kids might have climbed the scaffolding and spent many days and evenings in the Altstadt drinking the local brews. Eichbaum export is a Mannheimer bier - I'd love to figure out how to get a case.

Cheers!
-j

EDIT:
I haven't had the TN Yee Haw Dunkel yet but my two dogs names are Dunkel and Helles and this stuff is pretty good ->
aventinus.png
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Even Germany is branching out. Last time I was in Heidelberg I found a microbrewery that was making a good west coast IPA as well as more traditional German type beers.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

subbrew wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:11 am Even Germany is branching out. Last time I was in Heidelberg I found a microbrewery that was making a good west coast IPA as well as more traditional German type beers.
After all…..it IS the “premier hop growing region” IN THE WORLD!
ss
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:01 pm
subbrew wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:11 am Even Germany is branching out. Last time I was in Heidelberg I found a microbrewery that was making a good west coast IPA as well as more traditional German type beers.
After all…..it IS the “premier hop growing region” IN THE WORLD!
ss
The Willamette and Yakima valleys will disagree.

But until I see a bottle of water and bottle of beer for the same price like I saw in Germany I will give Germany the nod as the best beer destination.

Besides, something ugly happened to US breweries during COVID. 2/3 of the beer are either hazy something or have fruit in them. NO NO NO beer = grain, hops, water and yeast. And if you make it right it isn't hazy. I will make an exception for a good Hefeweizen