crafted beer ageing (just my idle interest)

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

crafted beer ageing (just my idle interest)

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Well, here we have a bear whose lady was not faithful to him...
in addition to barley malt, it's brewed with some corn and sugar.
11.jpg
22.jpg
33.jpg
To be honest, it's okay just "as is". But I wonder if it could become a diamond after some years passed.

My Pros:
1. It's over 8% AbV / good for ageing.
2. It had sugar in the mash... not bad for transformations by time, too.

My Contra: it's an alu. can. Is it coated well or not inside?

"Drink them or cellar them, we just want you to enjoy them."
So, is it worth to keep it in my cupboard?

har druckit för mycket
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: crafted beer ageing (just my idle interest)

Post by Deplorable »

It won't age in the can. But the can should have a micro thin plastic coating on the inside. Thats why Coca-Cola doesn't eat through the can.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

That beer is made real close to me. Not my favorite offering of theirs. Back in my brewing days I did find that with some beers there was an aging curve where it could improve. A high proof porter I used to make comes to mind. But the curve wasn't very long, after 18 months or so it would start to slide and get worse instead of better.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Thanks for your comments, guys :)

Why cannot it be aged just in a can: already filtered and pasteurised, stabilised?

Funny to know that a small can from CA is sold in the hole of the world like mine. Do they have huge capacities there?

har druckit för mycket
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

8% is really not an aging candidate in my opinion. But taste it, does it have a harshness that could be rounded with age? Does it have flavors that are not melding together that might with time.

I make a stout each year that comes in between 11% and 12%. When first brewed the roasted malts give it an acrid and harsh flavor. The alcohol is very much forward and the hops (about 85 IBU) beat up your taste buds but don't counter the malt. But I brewing it in January for the next winter. By Nov the acrid is gone and giving rich, raisin flavors. The sharpness of the hops are gone and mellowed into the malt. You still taste it is a high test beer but the alcohol is at a warmth at the back.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Every year you keep it it will be a year older. Whether, or not, this is a good thing will be decided by your taste buds. Buy at least a dozen cans, taste one per year and keep tasting notes. If your last can tastes the best, you should have bought more cans.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:47 pm Thanks for your comments, guys :)

Why cannot it be aged just in a can: already filtered and pasteurised, stabilised?

Funny to know that a small can from CA is sold in the hole of the world like mine. Do they have huge capacities there?
No, it is a medium sized facility at most. For some reason they seem to have quite a following outside of the local area. They do make great beer but so do a lot of small breweries. The North Coast Brewing Company which is also close to me seems to have the same.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:47 pm Thanks for your comments, guys :)

It will age in the can. Just not sure of the lining of the can is thick enough to not expose the metal over time. But, either bottle or can, medium alcohol beer usually does not age well for long periods of time. The hops fade rather quickly, by six months any hop forward beer will be flat tasting as far as hops. Malty beers do a little better but by a year usually start to get a muted flavor. The reason is that those beers are mostly water. there are not that many flavor compounds per volume.

A high gravity beer got that extra gravity by having more grain and usually more hops to balance the flavor. Now time has a lot more to work with. As the flavors change there is just a lot more of the flavor compounds per volume to work with, allowing things like raisin flavors to develop in the malt. there is also the higher alcohol which helps to preserve some of the flavors or at least affects how they change.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

subbrew wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:03 pm But taste it, does it have a harshness that could be rounded with age? Does it have flavors that are not melding together that might with time.
It's pretty fine as is.

subbrew wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:03 pm I make a stout each year that comes in between 11% and 12%. When first brewed the roasted malts give it an acrid and harsh flavor. The alcohol is very much forward and the hops (about 85 IBU) beat up your taste buds but don't counter the malt. But I brewing it in January for the next winter. By Nov the acrid is gone and giving rich, raisin flavors. The sharpness of the hops are gone and mellowed into the malt. You still taste it is a high test beer but the alcohol is at a warmth at the back.
As much as 12%,,, oh, my!.. Sounds to be a barley wine, not stout, eh? :)

Thanks for your description of the transformations. What kind of hops do you use for these thangs?

My stouts are 6.5% AbV and I use some "neutral/grass-ish" hops from UK or Germany.

subbrew wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:35 pm A high gravity beer got that extra gravity by having more grain and usually more hops to balance the flavor. Now time has a lot more to work with.
So, we'd better start mashing @ 68oC / 154F and keep it for 20-25 minutes only, right?

NZChris wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:26 pm Every year you keep it it will be a year older. Whether, or not, this is a good thing will be decided by your taste buds. Buy at least a dozen cans, taste one per year and keep tasting notes. If your last can tastes the best, you should have bought more cans.
One per year? Mmkay, I'm gonna buy not much of, say, 200 cans :lol:

stillanoob wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:16 pm The North Coast Brewing Company which is also close to me seems to have the same.
That made a note for my future "loading", thankee!

har druckit för mycket
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I have tasted a very nice, full bodied, Danish craft beer that, according to the label, is best cellared for X number of years. I forget how long it was, but I was amused that the Use By Date printed on the label was several years earlier. Unfortunately, I had to drink mine before getting on the flight back home because my duty free allowance was taken up with Gammel Dansk.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

NZChris wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:04 pm I have tasted a very nice, full bodied, Danish craft beer that, according to the label, is best cellared for X number of years.
Was it bottled?
I have some Belgian masterpieces under the cork :)

har druckit för mycket
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Definitely bottled, I don't remember if it was corked or capped.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Cork is for low-pressure stories :)

har druckit för mycket
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

It's pretty fine as is.
So it does not have much room for improvement with age. It has been brewed to be peak now

Thanks for your description of the transformations. What kind of hops do you use for these thangs?
I use mostly chinook and Magnum. I also put in some Willamette. I chose those because along with Centennial, those are the 4 varieties I grow.
So, we'd better start mashing @ 68oC / 154F and keep it for 20-25 minutes only, right?
Don't totally understand this comment. What I was getting at was the extra grain gives extra flavor compounds, not just sugars. I use over 22 lb of grain in a 4.5 gal batch for my high test stout as opposed to only 9.5 lb for a 4.5 gal batch of my summer IPA. I mash the stout for 90 minutes at 156 F and got a FG of 1.025. The IPA I mash at 148 F for 60 minutes and get a FG of 1.009
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

subbrew wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:03 pm I make a stout each year that comes in between 11% and 12%. When first brewed the roasted malts give it an acrid and harsh flavor. The alcohol is very much forward and the hops (about 85 IBU) beat up your taste buds but don't counter the malt. But I brewing it in January for the next winter. By Nov the acrid is gone and giving rich, raisin flavors. The sharpness of the hops are gone and mellowed into the malt. You still taste it is a high test beer but the alcohol is at a warmth at the back.
I would very much like to try that at some point. Have you ever tried oaking it? Dark Island Reserve is aged in used Scotch malt barrels and is sublime (and damned hard to get a hold of). I've always dreamed of trying that as an experiment.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

NormandieStill wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:47 am

I would very much like to try that at some point. Have you ever tried oaking it? Dark Island Reserve is aged in used Scotch malt barrels and is sublime (and damned hard to get a hold of). I've always dreamed of trying that as an experiment.
Several years ago I did make a stout and added oak chips I had soaked in bourbon. I didn't care that much for it. But that was also a different stout recipe before I got to the one I have used for the last 4 or 5 years. I may try adding a used oak stick if I am ready to pull the oak from my UJSSM when I next brew a batch.

I would think on the 5 gallon scale to put a batch in a barrel which had previously had bourbon or rum would just be too much for the stout, totally over power it.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

subbrew wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:03 am So it does not have much room for improvement with age. It has been brewed to be peak now
Gotit! Plus thanks for your comments on the hops.

subbrew wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:03 am Don't totally understand this comment. What I was getting at was the extra grain gives extra flavor compounds, not just sugars.
Out of the mash contents discussion... I meant the higher temp and the shorter my starch conversion rest's time = the more dextrines and the higher FG.

:wink:

har druckit för mycket
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

<necroposting>
Huh, the other day bottled with honey "my clone" of that horned bear: some pale ale + some carapils + some chocomalt + caramelized sugar + toasted corn flakes + just a tiny qty. of chinook + us-05...
Got 7.5% AbV. Damn, that's yummy. Even damissus liked it. Lemme call it "My American Stout", please.
</necroposting>

har druckit för mycket
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Sounds good. Stout usually has something a little more roasty in the malt bill but I guess with the Chocolate malt we can let it in the american stout definition.

I have never used corn in beer, not seen it used in a stout type beer, usually just in American Lagers. Can you taste the toasted corn?
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

subbrew wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:53 am Stout usually has something a little more roasty in the malt bill but I guess with the Chocolate malt we can let it in the American stout definition.
You're right: deeply roasted/burnt malts were absent that session. Due to the sugar caramel (almost brown but still not burnt) the color of the beer turned out more red-ish than black. And the taste is milder / it's not so bitter like in the most of stouts that my wifie cannae drink. So, let it be the stout of hers :shifty:
123.jpg
subbrew wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:53 am I have never used corn in beer, not seen it used in a stout type beer, usually just in American Lagers. Can you taste the toasted corn?
Yeah, looks like we can... as for us, it's a bit sweet and bizkit.
456.jpg
Talking of the koяnz... I went nuts yesterday. To understand it all, I made 2.8kg of toasted corn (see above) + 3kg of pilsner. Got 14oP (1.057OG?). Hops: 60%Europe/40%America. It's bubbling now by means of... Lallemand Kveik, lol. During the boiling, the "odor" was so-so. And some fresh/veggie corn in taste before hopping. Well, I have nothing to do but waiting&seeing... maybe, I'll just bourbon it. Maybe not :mrgreen:

har druckit för mycket
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Have noticed that barrel ageing is "the next big thing" with beer people..

Damn them all to hell, its going to push the price of used barrels up and then theres going to be barrels floating around 2nd hand that impart a hops flavour ffs
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Should not be many hop forward beers put in barrels as they don't age well. The hops flavor starts degrading in a couple of months and by 6 months is significantly degraded. So most barrels will have malty beers, imperial stouts, perhaps some fruit beers. Yes, still going to push up prices via supply and demand. But after it passes there could be some cheap barrels that held imperil stout or barley wine that could make for some interesting whiskey, especially if you have a grain bill with some dark malts.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

subbrew wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 pmby 6 months is significantly degraded
It is. If it's not mashed and brewed with something like Brewtan B or other stabilizers. The brewtanned ones live stable at least for a year.

har druckit för mycket