Mead

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Mead

Post by DetroitDIY »

Coffee Buckwheat is great, after I back sweetened with a good deal of wildflower honey and knocked it out so it won't continue to ferment. Also bottled my Mango Buckwheat, another winner. These both have been aging 18 months, the time and additions in the secondary have turned this buckwheat disaster into magic. Need to rack my last batch of Buckwheat put it on a bit more orange zest and possibly some anis for a while... hopeful about that one too.

Overall assessment, if you can't wait years, straight Buckwheat is not the way to go. But if you can set it and forget it, it can end up turning out quite nice and different from other other milder honeys.
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Mead

Post by Shine0n »

I love buckwheat honey, it's probably one I use the most for backsweetening when I only need a little touch of complexity and sweetness.

By itself can be much for many as it's a very strong and bold flavor but I very much enjoy it.

I still have a half gallon of pure buckwheat and tart cherry melomel and for a year I could barely open it without thinking of my brother inlaws barn but now it has some very complex notes and flavors. Raisins, dates, figs and mixed with the tart juice has now become something special. Time can be a very good thing for something like this. Oh...I did put med toast cubes in there as well for some good tannins, didn't add much for flavor but did take alot of the sharp edges from the tart juice.