Mead

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Mead

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks Kiwi, I'm definitely hoping to get to Annapolis to the Ren fest this year and I'll look up the distance from there and see how it works out.

I still have an active fermentation,, the cap is still there and hopefully it will start falling by next weekend as there is alot of sediment on the bottom of the carboy already. I'll check it again today, the other day the airlock was going off every 7-10 seconds.

Is glass a necessity or can I keep it in the plastic carboy?
I have glass but they are quite dirty sitting around for a while and I just don't feel like the deep cleaning they need but I will if there is some very good reasoning to do so.

The Raspberry, orange blossom, and clover are at 160.00 for 60 lbs which still is good, to save on shipping though I'll make the drive to get it and might even pick up some maple for pancakes. lol

Does anyone know about bentonite? in my line of work I use bentonite, not sure it's the same type or if it's all the same, I'll read up now but any thoughts would be great!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I don't use bentonite for mead because I don't want it stripping flavor. I siphon the clear into bottles and deal with the sediment separately, first by roughly filtering and adding whiskey to up the abv to prevent bacterial spoilage, then using that up making Glayva style liqueurs.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I know they're a cow to clean but use the glass carboys, you have to much time and coin inverted in your mead to risk losing it. If it's crud in the bottom of the carboy you have a problem with, drop a length of light chain into that bad boy with some sudsy warm water and swish it around, the chain will help break the crud loose.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I stopped at the brew shop this after and bought some D47 yeast (4) and some star san and the bentonite but I may or not use the bentonite.

I'll get to cleaning the carboy in the am after I cut grass, pick apples and pears and whatever the wifey wants but I will get it done.

The bubbler Is at every 10 seconds so I stole a sample (didn't check with the hydrometer but it's getting ready to rack very soon.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I agree with Bruce on his comments about removing from lees. I once left a mead on yeast for way too long (like two years) having forgotten to rack it to another vessel, and the flavor of old yeast becomes disappointingly apparent much sooner than that......

I also used bentonite once or twice, and agree that it's not in your best interest. It removes flavor. Better to rack to a clean container a couple of times while it clarifies. It will eventually become crystal clear. I've read where others have had pretty good success with gelatin, particularly if you can lower the temperature, but haven't done that myself.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

The flavor is very strong of raspberries and little to none of honey but it's still very early to judge anything right now.

So the bentonite is going to be a no go then seeing I want to retain as much flavor as I can.

Can I save the yeast for future use or should I just throw them out? I would use them on a similar type of melomel and keep refrigerated until time to go, shit... never mind it's got all that raspberry mess in it plus I have no idea how to wash yeas nor would my wife want it in the fridge.

I'd end up eating it because she thought it was gravy or a sauce. lol
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

it's been a month now and this Friday is racking time :D

The airlock is still popping every 20 seconds now and I think it's time, this gives me THIS WEEK to clean my 5 gal glass carboy and sanitize it before use.

I took a small sample last week and it's pretty dry so maybe another 3 lbs of honey for the secondary is in order then again it tasted so good I may leave it dryer. Damn it I don't know.

I hate making decisions sometimes.

After the rack I'll put it away for 6 months except for a small sample at Christmas then check it again, then rack again and store for another 6 months.

Ima buy 6 lbs orange blossom this week and another 6 in 2 weeks then 3 lbs the week after and get my blossom on with some d47 yeast.

also going to do the ancient orange next week (5gal)
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

This Sunday will be racking of the raspberries, I've not yet been over there to do it because of work.

I did However start another 3 gallon traditional mead with 10 lbs of clover honey this evening and it's tucked into the closest for a month then racking, I'm looking to get 2.25-2.5 gallons of finished mead with this one but only time will tell.

In all honesty I have no pans on letting this one age for a year but I have many many more to do over the winter and will let the most of them age up to 2 years.

some with oak
fortified
melomel
traditional
ancient orange

I really like this mead thing!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've been doing alot of vid watching and reading about meads, I've come to the conclusion that most are WAY over complicating the whole process and I for one plan to get to the bottom of it.

I watched a vid this am 315 am and this guy is a 2 time mead maker of the year and his processes seem more along the line of what I'm wanting to do.

simplicity is the key!!!

He goes all the nutes first in the beginning of fermentation and doesn't see it necessary to do step nutes and degassing and all that jazz, sooo I'm headed down another rabbit hole to see what the hell I can dig up.

My next mead will be a 5 gallon batch
15 lbs wild flower honey
2 lbs honey malt
primary will be done as usual BUT I'll rack after primary and use med toast oak sticks and age for 6 months, rack again and bottle. I'll go easy on the oak and I figured less is better than over doing it from the beginning.

The yeast for this one I'm still looking into because I'd like to have some floral notes, I'm thinking D47 but I'll do a bit more research before doing anything and by the way I'm researching it won't take long.

Should be an interesting mead!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I went and got 20 lbs wild flower honey and I already had the honey malt, now I have to find the 4 packs of yeast I seem to have lost (D47) misplaced.

I'm off at 12 tomorrow so I'll start this mead and see what happens.

I'll keep myself posted, lol
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Headed to Md to the renn fest!!! Woo hook

I'm going to try every mead they have since my sister decided to drive and bring more people than my king cab would handle sooo I get to drink a few. (many)

I'll get to pick a few brains on their meads, protocols, honey used and yeasts, I'm hoping to get some good in site on meads with actually talking to someone rather than reading and guessing.

I'll post some pics from the fest and share the experience.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

I put together a Mead last fall, and up until a month or so ago I wasn't impressed, but the last sample showed it's improved alot. Im gonna try and keep my paws off this for another yeat
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Good luck bubba, lol

I've done sooo much research and I've seen award winning mead makers laugh about the length of time some say it need to age. One 2 time winning mead maker of the year says no no!!!

Saying that, I believe that just like a ferment with us that if you use quality ingredients and proper protocols you can have a drinkable mead in 3-4 months. That would be a traditional style mead and I believe that melomel and some others will benefit from some further time but the meads that take 3-4 years to come around was flawed at some point or another.

Not saying time doesn't make it finer but just to have a drinkable mead doesn't take that long, 3-5 months tops

I'm looking to make an award winning mead just because I'm like that but I'm also looking to make something to drink sooner than later.

I use all good quality honey, yeast and use good water. I'm trying to make enough so I have drinkable stuff sooner and enough to age for some good time to let mingle and age out to be better than your average mead.

Time will tell, right!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

D47 is my go-to with anything involving honey.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I think heavy/sweet meads benefit from some age. Flavors need to blend and smooth. A light/dry mead is more often good as soon as it has rested long enough to become crystal clear.
YMMV
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Shine0n wrote:Good luck bubba, lol

I've done sooo much research and I've seen award winning mead makers laugh about the length of time some say it need to age. One 2 time winning mead maker of the year says no no!!!

Saying that, I believe that just like a ferment with us that if you use quality ingredients and proper protocols you can have a drinkable mead in 3-4 months. That would be a traditional style mead and I believe that melomel and some others will benefit from some further time but the meads that take 3-4 years to come around was flawed at some point or another.

Not saying time doesn't make it finer but just to have a drinkable mead doesn't take that long, 3-5 months tops

I'm looking to make an award winning mead just because I'm like that but I'm also looking to make something to drink sooner than later.

I use all good quality honey, yeast and use good water. I'm trying to make enough so I have drinkable stuff sooner and enough to age for some good time to let mingle and age out to be better than your average mead.

Time will tell, right!
I agree with that. Mine was made with 3lbs of honey from Walmart, I can't even remember what kind. It was only a 1 gallon batch with champagne yeast. When I made it the plan was to use it in the thumper on a whiskey run, but then my thumper build got put off and I decided to wait see what it turned out like
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I feel ya, I've also contemplated a honey shine :thumbup:

I believe for that I would use the Walmart honey, it's 5 lbs for 12 bucks and tastes pretty good, now you got me thinking wayyy to hard, lol

If I were to do it I believe I'd make a corn mash and use honey wash in the thumper, I think that would turn out wonderful and tastey. Although it would probably have to age quite some time for the honey to show up but who knows it might be good from the spout. Never done it so I'm just speculating atm.

My raspberry melomel is coming along nicely and getting clearer by the day so Christmas is looking better and better for a nice sample, the traditional is still going and looking closer to being ready to rack the first time.

Shine0n
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Honey shine is great but don't expect a strong honey flavor. It's nothing like jacks Tennessee honey though so don't expect that. It's more of a light honey taste coupled with a lot of floral notes. It's quite special.
The raspberry mead makes a great distillate also.

Deo Vendice

Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks jb, I was also thinking of buckwheat honey as it's very strong flavored.
How do you think it would be in a corn mash? Not the buckwheat but regular honey, I figured it wouldn't be but so strong with the honey flavor but it still interested me.

Like all things I ferment, if it's not that good... the still can make it a bit better.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I just used some bentonite yesterday to help clear my very cloudy traditional mead that was still wayyy too sweet for my likings so after that I rehydraded a pack of D47, aerated the must and pitched and within an hour the airlock was like a machine gun again.

The raspberry melomel is racked and still slowly going, I think the 3 lbs of raspberries was plenty! still has plenty of berry flavor and a very nice honey kick, I think all things will mingle well in a few months and be a nice drink.

My traditional will have medium toast AO for the aging process and plan to keep on for 3 months then rack again to age an additional 3 months, then bottle and serve chilled. lol

There are sooo many I want to do but space is not permitting me to do but a few at the time.

Soon as I can get to the brew shop I'm picking up some caramel malt and some apple purees for caramel apple mead. Should be interesting to say the least.

May also introduce some cinnamon for a short time in the secondary maybe a week then remove to have a subtle not over powering flavor to add to the mix.

I can see a great relationship between me and my honey!

Shine0n
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Next thing you know you'll become beekeeper lol
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

yakattack wrote:Next thing you know you'll become beekeeper lol
Or an alcoholic

Deo Vendice

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Now now jb, who you trying to fool?
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Everyone!!!

Deo Vendice

Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I don't think the neighbors would like the bees while bush hogging the fields lol.

I wouldn't mind but it seems pointless due to all we have around us is salt water, corn, soy been, wheat.

Maybe a drunk because I have to wait so long for mead compared to likker where I ferment, distill and get drunk within a week. lol

This mead thing is a nice break because I'm working so much I don't have time to run the still right now but still get time to ferment stuff that hopefully turns out good.

I have all the faith that knowing fermenting, ph, yeasts, temps will go a long way with me making a good product.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

The traditional mead is racked and is sitting on med toast whit oak now for a few months and about to reach the raspberry mead Sunday.

I have 30 lbs of clover honey and about to start a 15 gal ferment, I'm almost positive this will turn to shine. I'll be using D47 for this as the temps are in the mid 60s and should ferment out quickly, I'll keep 2 gallons for mead and still the rest and use the backset for some corn likker I want.

The wife won't let me keep a 15 gal fermenter in the closet as she needs more room for her stuff but that's why I have a big barn she says. lol

More to come,
Shine0n
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

ShineOn, there is a awesome group on Facebook called mead makers that I think you would love.

Deo Vendice

Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'll have to check that out jb, I hardly ever get on fb but if it's about alcohol I might have too, lol

When making mead I do 3 lbs honey to a gal but for this ferment I'll do 2, actually I'll look on the hydrometer for 1.075-80 so whatever it takes is what it will be.

I'm more interested in the backset for the corn likker to be honest but will still make 18 gal to have 3 for mead.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks again jb! I just applied for the full use of the site.

There seems to be a good following on there and I'm looking forward to contributing as best I can, I just hope I don't slip up and mention likker. lol
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Shine0n wrote:Thanks again jb! I just applied for the full use of the site.

There seems to be a good following on there and I'm looking forward to contributing as best I can, I just hope I don't slip up and mention likker. lol
It happens from time to time,lol!

Deo Vendice