Beer: Enzymes & Nutrients?

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Beer: Enzymes & Nutrients?

Post by fizzix »

The distiller in me feels compelled to do it, but beer brewing is a new ball game for me.
For proven all-grain beer recipes, do any of you brewers dose an enzyme or two in your mash for insurance?
How about a little DAP nutrient?
Wondering if these add any foulness to the beer and if I'm just wasting time and gambling flavor by adding them in moderation.
(Think a teaspoon of each in 5.5 gallons)
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: Beer: Enzymes & Nutrients?

Post by bluefish_dist »

While I have not made a beer as a beer, I have made a few into whiskeys. A couple of things I noticed, I have to add nutrients to finish below 1.0. If I don't add anything they finish 1.01 ish. Doesn't take much to make the difference. I would not add nutrients to the beer because you don't want it to finish dry.

Can't comment of the enzymes. They are probably ok since all they do is increase efficiency.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I don't know any of my brew buddies that use nutes as the grains have enough from what they tell me.

Not saying you can't and since I've never made a single beer I'd look at a brewing site for my answers. There are alot of brewers here and I'm sure one or three will chime in to give proper guidance.

Think along the lines of an AG mash for distilling, most I've seen said the grains are nutritious enough to sustain it without any additional nutes added.

Beer brewing is another beast all together so just from what I've read I'll say no the nutes. I've been known to wrong a time or two though.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Thanks bluefish and ShineOn. You guys are right in line with the consensus I'm gathering.
I appreciate your inputs and think a smidge alpha-amylase, no nutes, is how I'll hit this.
Appreciate it.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

No need for any enzymes for mashing.
The way you brew beer is a bit different.
You mash until conversion is complete and your temp will extract more or less fermentable sugars which will give in turn more or less dry beer.
Then you rinse to grab the remaining sugars in grains.
Then you boil to sterilize/concentrate sugars and add hops.

About yeast, some sprinkle dry yeast, some prefer to rehydrate, some use liquid, some like me make starters with high pitching rate of yeast and being a bit crazy I was about to buy a counting cell to adjust the pitching rate...
So yes, you can use nutrients as you like for your yeast but do not put to much yeast as you might taste it.

Unlike distillation, beer is the end product, so if you mess it you won't drink it :)
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

OK, cede, I'll concede.
I've been reading my @ss off with the brewing and I'm now in overthink mode.
I gotta stop thinking like a distiller and just brew the damn thing straight.
Thank you.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Ahaha :)
Yes and have fun ! It's all that matters :)