1st Beer, Bottling Day

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

1st Beer, Bottling Day

Post by fizzix »

Red Ale.
I seem to be going in reverse from distilling to brewing instead of versey-vicey like new members.
Got my first brew in the bottle and now we wait for 2 weeks and sample one.

For those who don't know (like I didn't), priming sugar is added just before bottling so the suspended yeast in the beer
has something to feed on while the beer carbonates in the bottles. Thus the 2 week wait.

So beer in the morning, and Booner's Corn this afternoon.
Wish Me Success!
Wish Me Success!
Everyone needs a hobby or two!
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 1st Beer, Bottling Day

Post by frunobulax »

Gratz on your 1st beer. Be careful, It's a bigger obsession than 'stillin.
Heading over my buddys now to make a 30 gallon batch of a Trappist ale.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Have fun, fruno!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Congrats Fizzix, I've not yet brewed but mead has taken over the stillin for now due to lack of time needed.

Send a bottle to me and I'll give honest reports, better make it 3 just so I'm sure :thumbup:
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

On their way, ShineOn. You sure are a good friend to do that for me.
confused.bmp.jpg
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

I made an ipa last week which was the first batch in over 30 yrs :P
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

dieselduo wrote:I made an ipa last week which was the first batch in over 30 yrs :P
The distilling knowledge really helps. Was it like riding a bike diesel, or did you have to re-learn?
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Like riding a bike but easier now with all the recipes online. I did an all grain. It's the same as an ag whiskey except for the boil and adding hops
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

Congrats on the first batch it will be great. I started brewing with extract almost 30 years ago. I made some pretty good stuff and was ramping up to do all grain. Then for some reason life got in the way and I took a 20 year sabbatical from brewing. I picked it back up in 2011 and man oh man I jumped in with both feet. I now brew 20 gallon all grain batches on a 3 pot recirc mash system I built and make all types of beer from lighter blondes to Russian imperial stouts and everything in between. Be careful as it can suck you in just like stillin and the two definitely compliment each other. If I can assist you in your brewing endeavors in any way let me know as I sure will be needing help on the spirit making end. Have fun!
Living life one drop at a time

I ain’t here for a long time, I am here for a good time

Don’t worry, have a bourbon!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hey thanks, Wild Bill. Mighty neighborly of you.
This first beer was indeed an extract. I've got a great grain store in town here and made an all-grain brew today once I finished bottling the extract.
Distilling really made the all-grain brew easy to understand. This one's a Pale Ale and I just pitched the yeast.

I will help you with distilling anytime I can. I'm still fairly new to it myself, but have a somewhat working knowledge.
If I don't answer your question it'll be only because I just don't know. But I'll keep an eye out for you.
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

What kind of beer are you making fizzix? One tool I really recommend if you don’t have one is a refractometer. It allows you to take gravity readings through the process and be able to react and correct. If gravities are off it changes hop utilization rates and can make a beer go from great to subpar. Also Starsan and safale us-05 yeast are gifts from the brewing gods. Happy brewing.

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

It's called Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale from HomeBrewTalk. (Recipe here)
It calls for Nottingham yeast. I've got gravity and alcohol refractometers as well as multiple hydrometers and alcohol meters.
I StarSan everything. Thermometers. Mixing spoon. Etc. ...A car drives down the street, I StarSan it.
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

Looks good fizz. Let us now how the notty yeast works out. I use it occaisionally and it will throw some fruity estery type flavors that can compliment certain styles. It is more subtle in this regard compared to safale s-04 which I pretty much avoid. Fermenting at the lower end of the recommended range also can keep these flavors in check if so desired. If you really want to highlight the hops and grains S-05 is a very clean higher attenuating yeast that works in many styles.

frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Starsan is GREAT for cleaning copper too. Soak your parts in it overnite and they'll be clean as can be. My buddy bought a gallon so we just mix a fresh 5 gallon batch every time.
Our brewery is all electric 1.5 bbl system (3- 55 gallon stainless drums) and a plastic 60 gallon fermenter, so we use alot.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Thanks for the tip, frunobulax. Makes sense with the acidity of the stuff.
star san.JPG
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Ale yeast?

Hey, congratz. May I give you an advice? Don't drink it all at once after 2 weeks. Leave a couple of bottles for a couple of months. And hide a couple of bottles for a year. Betcha, there will be 3 different sorts of it. Better and some moar better ;) the ale has to mature.

If it's not about to explode due to the priming sugar overdose. I hope it's not!!!

har druckit för mycket
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I shouldn't have any bottle bombs. I let it ferment two weeks ---1 longer than the instructions.
That surprised me how long people bottle condition their beer. I'm used to commercial beer going skunk after just a few months.
But it's astounding how many preach "don't touch that beer for a year!"
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I just recently made the Bee Cave Porter. Great recipe. Ed Wort seems to use Nottingham in most of these recipes. The only recommendation I have is keep it cool. Nottingham throws some strong flavors if fermented above the recommended range, appropriate for some styles but I don't find it very pleasant. Fermented cool, it's neutral, fast, and flocculates like crazy.

Glad to hear you keep trying new things.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hey that's terrific bilgriss! Great minds must think alike.
She's fermenting at 68° in a spare bedroom.

That porter's a beautiful dark beer!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I'm trying this. Cold crashing an extra week...that's allot of rye! The sugar head piggy back after the beer taste like a chocolate milk shake.

Rye Porter

:thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:I'm trying this. Cold crashing an extra week...that's allot of rye! The sugar head piggy back after the beer taste like a chocolate milk shake.

Rye Porter

:thumbup:
SoCD, I can't imagine anything less from you than another rich concoction!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Oh Damn ! Thanks a bunch @fizzix :roll:

Just been and measured that "Bain Marie!" Mash tun I bought - the electric one I bought for my first "AG" when I get around to it.

154 litres !

I'm wondering now - whether it's reasonable to do a nice malt beer, then do a sugarhead wash on the leftover grain ?

Doh

I used to do "extract beer" and when I got bored with the sediment in the glass, I started fermenting it clear, then gassing it up using the works out of an old Soda-stream I stamped on !

DOH !
Last edited by Pikey on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Cold crashing does work. I got one of these: http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com this year as a Christmas present.

I have a 3 keg chest freezer, and using the pour-from-the-top method, I had a clear, cold crashed porter in about 3 days, fully carbed with no shaking or fuss in under a week. I'm pretty excited. Now I have to get two more of these things for the other two kegs (currently a cream ale and a California common).

This is not a marketing post. I assume there are other suppilers of similar products, and I'm not advocating for any of them - just the idea.
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

Higher alcohol beers brewed from a grain bills with darker malted grains will benefit from aging. Stouts and porters above 7.5 or 8% if you give them time to meld and mellow, you will be rewarded with a great beer. Really big beers like a 10% plus Russian imperial stout, I like to bulk age in secondary for 3-6 months before bottling or kegging. Lighter beers with a fresh hoppy profiles generally will not benefit from aging more than a month or two as the hops start to fade in intensity. This is my experience anyway. I brew a summer beer that I call bastard blonde with a ton of late addittion boil hops, whirlpool hops, and dry hops. It peaks around 1 month after kegging but is quite drinkable up to 8 months. As always Ymmv.

VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

fizzix wrote: But it's astounding how many preach "don't touch that beer for a year!"
:D I had no intention to keep you thirsty!

But sometimes, I'd say often the one may think: hmmm, what the... strange stuff have I made? What did I try for?

Lager yeast is to make flat lager beer. It's same now and few months later.

But if you find your ale strange now just let it mature. And buy some Carlsberg for your thirst.

har druckit för mycket
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

FIZZIX! Welcome to the "Magic Kingdom" my friend!
So...Of all the commercial brew available now days, what do you like most and would like to emulate?
As for me...I like, and brew, IPA's, Irish Stouts, English style "Pub" Bitter" South German style 'helles" lager, English Porter and most frequently a standard APA.
fizzix wrote:But it's astounding how many preach "don't touch that beer for a year!"
And you can call bullshit on that, with the exception of lagers and and some "High Test" specialty beers. Beer is made to be drunk young and often. If I'm not drinking a beer, from the brew kettle to my frosty glass in ten days, I've done something wrong. (With the exception of lagers, they can sit for three months and only get better) I've been fully draft for twenty years plus, and I don't mind admitting, I force CO2 my beer so I can start drinking it 12 hours after it goes into the keg. I've taught my boys how to brew, so we share time and equipment. I was in England when the "CAMRA" (campaign for real ale) had just started and Dave Line (Big Book of Brewing) was still alive...Holy Hop Bags that's nearly 50 years age...I have enjoyed the my stay here in the Kingdom, as you my be able to tell by my enthusiasm at welcoming another visitor/resident. There are only two draw backs to brewing, 1) We wear or successes around our middles. 2) We drink our mistakes. (very rarely have I been forced to throw a brew away, beer brewing is far more forgiving than stilling...that's just my fat bummed opinion. SO WELCOME...WELCOME INDEED. I will enjoy pouring some golden nectar down my throat tonight !. Nectar of the Clods ! !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Thanks, kiwi! Hopefully I behave in your kingdom and not litter or loiter on the grounds.
I'm as excited making brew as making liquor. Haven't the skills or equipment or experience yet to speed production and can live with 2-week ferments and 2-week conditioning for now.
I know for sure I'll be drinking young beer at first. Hey my patience has a limit!
...nectar of the clods...(!!!)
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Not my Kingdom...I just stay here. I think it was started by the Pharaoh's way back in time, in Ancient Egypt. As human's we've been sucking down the golden nectar for a very long time. And your right...Patience is golden, but limited.

“Dilly Dilly!” our new global war cry! :clap:
Getting hung up all day on smiles
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Nice. I just kegged 12g fo irish red ale.