Lawnmower Blonde Ale

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lawnmower Blonde Ale

Post by fizzix »

Almost as exciting as getting a first distillation down was overcoming a water issue that kept me from making a good beer.
Switched from tap water to bottled water, and my 4th brew attempt finally came out good enough to serve to others.
(I still add a campden tablet per 5 gallons as even filtered bottled water can have chlorine or chloramine in it.)

Thank God this issue is resolved because it was driving me crazy, and the bad beers weren't even a good distill.
They stunk and tasted as perfume when given up as failures and run through the still.

This is the recipe if anyone else is interested.

BTW, I think beer brewing is considerably more difficult than distilling. All the sanitizing and hops and panic attacks and sobbing...
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Lawnmower Blonde Ale

Post by Manc »

BTW, I think beer brewing is considerably more difficult than distilling. All the sanitizing and hops and panic attacks and sobbing...[/quote]

I have to agree after brewing in the past I don't miss all the sanitising and worries over infections love the the fact we now boil the shit out of it
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Gratz on your success! That a nice basic recipe to start with. Remember water is 95% of your beer so it's extremely important to use good water. Go to the beer science section and read around a bit, and check out the brewing water primer sticky. Lots of good info.
Unfortunately, brewing can be a bigger obsession than stillin! lol
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Sounds you are on the right track. I have used distilled, filtered tap water and tap water treated with campden. Distilled is my choice. I started out with American Lager in a Mr. Beer kit. It was really good. I have also had great success with Orange Shandy from Brewers Best. It makes 5 gallons and goes pretty quick because of the taste. Good luck and keep on brewing.
Attachments
first batch 2.2.18.jpg
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Thanks frunobulax for your wishes and water primer tip.
Looking good 6 Row Joe. That brew head just screams "drink me!" Your Shandy sounds great.

I don't think brewing will ever replace where my heart is -distilling.
It is certainly a rich world of possibilities though, with the myriad of hops and universe of differing yeasts and grain combinations.

Heading to the water primer now. Thanks guys.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

RODI setup might be a good long term option for you.

Also beer like a stout works well with really hard water. You might need to adjust the hops a bit as different water chemistry will change how the hop bitternes comes through

I typically mix my 450-500 PPM well water with 3x the amount of rodi water and can make a decent cream ale... blonde etc with it. acidified malt can also be used.

It is nice to have good beer! I've killed too many kegs the last bit...

If you want to make life easier build a kegerator.. so much nicer than bottling leaving time for other things.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Kegerator is not out of the question.
The bottles are more for camping trips and going to other summer gatherings right now.
Once this gig is reliable, options are all being considered.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Lord fizzix, now I want to try beer brewing. lol

Glad to see your success with it :thumbup:
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Shine0n wrote:Lord fizzix, now I want to try beer brewing. lol

Glad to see your success with it :thumbup:
Hey ShineOn, I see you over on Homebrew Talk once in a while. Usually in the distilling section, I'm sure that's you.
Brewing is a great hobby to fill the distilling gaps on weekends or whenever. Highly recommended.
Thanx for the sentiments.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

If you want something more refreshing than a blonde or more for the Miller Canadian or coors boys

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/thre ... ale.66503/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Nice light refreshing..

A Kolsch can be more interesting than a blonde.

I like my Irish ales/stouts, Scottish ale's oak'd with the stick from making shine.

B
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Bitter, are you watching me? This is bizarre.
By the sheerest of coincidences that's the exact recipe I printed off yesterday to do next.
In fact I have it pulled up on another tab just now and thought your link wasn't working because it's the same page.

Going to do a 5.5 gallon scale of the Cream of 3 Crops in a week and a half when my Red Riding Hood red ale is done.
Harvested some Safale US-05 from a couple Lawnmower beer bottles and have it growing on a stir plate. Lively yeast.

Thanks for the tip, Kreskin. You're not affiliated with those Google Home devices, are you?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Yea that's me but I'm more on the mead or wine forum.

That's where I got the idea with the apple cyser and am now really considering mashing the caramel malt and substituting a gallon of cider.

I would need to REALLY clean me barn if I were to start brewing, hell it would be easier to buy a small one just for that or the laundry room but I've already been kicked out of there for the mead. lol
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Gave two bottles of this Lawnmower beer to an aficionado friend,
and he wants to buy a case! He says it's better than the craft brew
he gets down the street near work.
Had to decline the offer for obvious reasons. But what a compliment.

You know, we all need a confidence boost like that once in a while.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

I live in a hard water area, I leave the dregs of the sodium metabisulphate in my fermentation vessels to get rid of any chlorine after I've bleached it but Carbonate Reducing Solution (now AMS) and a Aquarium water testing kit is worth a look. Been using it for my beers for years, I usually use Brupacks which has a handy leaflet for telling you how much you need to pour in. Use the kit for seeing how hard your water is et voilà, you can brew the hoppiest IPA's to your hearts content (or anything else for that matter).
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Glad your blonde turned out nice!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Beerbrewer wrote:I live in a hard water area, I leave the dregs of the sodium metabisulphate in my fermentation vessels to get rid of any chlorine after I've bleached it but Carbonate Reducing Solution (now AMS) and a Aquarium water testing kit is worth a look. Been using it for my beers for years, I usually use Brupacks which has a handy leaflet for telling you how much you need to pour in. Use the kit for seeing how hard your water is et voilà, you can brew the hoppiest IPA's to your hearts content (or anything else for that matter).
Thanx, BeerBrewer. I'm going to stick with success and get the dollar store bottled water.
It's funny because I used to bitch the ol' lady out for buying water when you can just get it from the tap.
She's pointed out how the tables have turned on that situation. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

fizzix wrote:
Beerbrewer wrote:I live in a hard water area, I leave the dregs of the sodium metabisulphate in my fermentation vessels to get rid of any chlorine after I've bleached it but Carbonate Reducing Solution (now AMS) and a Aquarium water testing kit is worth a look. Been using it for my beers for years, I usually use Brupacks which has a handy leaflet for telling you how much you need to pour in. Use the kit for seeing how hard your water is et voilà, you can brew the hoppiest IPA's to your hearts content (or anything else for that matter).
Thanx, BeerBrewer. I'm going to stick with success and get the dollar store bottled water.
It's funny because I used to bitch the ol' lady out for buying water when you can just get it from the tap.
She's pointed out how the tables have turned on that situation. :oops: :oops: :oops:
LOL, fair enough, bottled water over here costs a fair bit so that's why I do what I do.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

bitter wrote:If you want something more refreshing than a blonde or more for the Miller Canadian or coors boys
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/thre ... ale.66503/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Nice light refreshing..
A Kolsch can be more interesting than a blonde.
I like my Irish ales/stouts, Scottish ale's oak'd with the stick from making shine.
B
Hey, bitter~
Here's that Cream of 3 Crops you linked to:
Cream of 3 Crops.jpg
It is definitely nice & light & refreshing. Packs a punch, too.
The nose, though, smells like corn distilling and I haven't decided if I like that aroma or not.
Straight from the bottle, it's not an issue and makes for a very tasty beer.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Nice cream of 3 corps is tasty. Sweet tasting with a good fermentation. Lager keep in fridge for a month or 2 and it really shines
Soulshine
Novice

Post by Soulshine »

Have you tried using an RV water filter? I'm in the same forum, Homebrewtalk.com . Luckily I have not had water issues (3 yrs brewing) but I am still looking for one of these filters.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Soulshine wrote:Have you tried using an RV water filter? I'm in the same forum, Homebrewtalk.com . Luckily I have not had water issues (3 yrs brewing) but I am still looking for one of these filters.
No I haven't, but may look into it. Lugging water from Aldi's is not my idea of fun.