Schlitz Beer Clone

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Schlitz Beer Clone

Post by fizzix »

Schlitz beer began in 1858 and in the 1900s surpassed Anheuser-Busch as the #1 beer in the United States, surviving Prohibition.
Schlitz kept its top spot until 1953 when a strike hindered production, and Busch became the leading brewer and remained there since.

In the late 1960s, Schlitz got chincy on the ingredients and by the mid-1970s it lost its #2 position.
In the 80s Schlitz was sold to Strohs Brewing, and in 1999, Pabst acquired Strohs.

Although the original recipe is long gone, interviews with old brewers and information culled
from Milwaukee and New York breweries has resulted in a few guesses as to a Schlitz clone.

Here is one:

Schlitz Clone

Batch Size: 6.00 gallons
Total Grain: 10.00 lbs
Yeast: Wyeast 1272
Anticipated OG: 1.048
Anticipated SRM: 2.7
Anticipated IBU: 29.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80%
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes
A long wort boil is necessary to drive off DMS (DiMethyl Sulfide)

Grain
-------------
3 lbs Flaked Corn
7 lbs 6-row

Hops
-------------
1.0 oz. Cluster Whole - 90 min.
0.5 oz. Styrian Goldings Whole - 20 min.
Dry hop with 0.5 oz. Styrian on last day of ferment.
-------------

How close this is is anyone's guess. I was too young to partake in the original.
But it is a very good beer, and we can pretend.
Schlitz.jpg
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Schlitz Beer Clone

Post by Shine0n »

As I recall, schlitz was a big malt liquor in its hey day.

I remember the old timers drinking it, there was blue and red. Couldn't tell you the difference other than the blue bull gave me the worst hangover in my younger days.

The taste was good but that hangover hurt me for days. lol

Hope it's good and you enjoy!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

The "Bull" Schlitz malt liquor was to exploit inner city sales demographic.
It was sold in 16-ounce and 40-ounce at 5.9% alcohol just to f*ck you up.
Aren't all malt liquors?

This, however, is supposedly the "refined" blue collar Joe 6-pack beer.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I had my share of 40s back in my youth, they also sold 12pk 12oz cans. At the tender age of 19 I drank 12 and my buddy did the same... Never again!

I didn't think you were trying to make the good ole rock gut but also wanted to make sure.

I remember some commercials back in the 70s and early 80s of schlitz beer.

Let's not revert back to good ole colt 45 tho. lol
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Yuck to all.
Sorry Fizzix.
JBC
JBC
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

I do a Yuengling clone that is similar. A clean every day beer. You can't do more cowbell beers all the time. Enjoy fizzix
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:Yuck to all.
Sorry Fizzix.
JBC
That's OK, Jellybean. We all have our "Garlic Drink" aversion (yes, I've seen it).
dieselduo wrote:I do a Yuengling clone that is similar. A clean every day beer. You can't do more cowbell beers all the time. Enjoy fizzix
With the help you've given me, I bet you've got some kickass beer!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

fizzix wrote:...A long wort boil is necessary to drive off DMS (DiMethyl Sulfide) <— true, the lager malt has a tendancy to produce this quality. So, the “hotbreak” is key. But you also have to aerate well to give the yeast an aggressive start.

Grain
-------------
3 lbs Flaked Corn <— the brewery didn’t use “flaked” corn. Economics would mandate whole corn as an adjunct and mashed with the malt.
7 lbs 6-row <— Also, they used typical “lager malt”, most likely a 2-row (German) variety.

Hops
-------------
1.0 oz. Cluster Whole - 90 min. <— wrong hops. Schlitz is a German brewery. They would have used Continental hops. I would suspect that Hallertau would be the preferred variety.
0.5 oz. Styrian Goldings Whole - 20 min. <— again, wrong hop variety. Try Tettnang for a little “spiciness”.
Dry hop with 0.5 oz. Styrian on last day of ferment. <— the “original” Schlitz was not dry-hopped. It finished malty.
-------------

How close this is is anyone's guess. I was too young to partake in the original.
But it is a very good beer, and we can pretend.
I’ve had the “original” Schlitz beer many, many times. My brother’s band was sponsored by Schlitz (back in the day), so I know well the flavor profile. Your recipe many be tasty, but it is NOT a Schlitz “original”clone.

As suggested, Yeungling’s lager is close, although it is much more “amber” than the original Schlitz. The Yeungling’s (Pennsylvania) is actually a Vienna style lager. It was “light golden”...3-4* Linter. (Your attempt is close, but perhaps just a touch too amber).

I do very much like the “original” Schlitz. It is indeed a German style (heritage) brew.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Thanks, still_stirrin.
Shows you cannot believe every thing you see and hear on the internet ---especially when you see 4 or 5 clones for the same beer!
I'm newer to beer than distilling, and have "sucker" written all over me.

I will update my recipe to make it closer to authentic, and out of trusting someone who's been there.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

dieselduo wrote:I do a Yuengling clone that is similar. A clean every day beer. You can't do more cowbell beers all the time. Enjoy fizzix
Did like Yuengling and tried to by it when we could but once we got a bit south or west that got hard to find. In Kentucky I spotted Milwaukee's Best Ice 6.9% 14 bux a 30 pack of tinnies. Went down fairly easy and got ya buzz on a bit quicker than PBR or bud light (lot quicker than bud light :lol: ) . All good in the hood ya might reckon, well the next day ya wake I little frightened ya might die and by lunch you are darn terrified you won't :sick: You boys need some shooting targets? In luck I found a couple in this box :lol:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Yeah most of those "ice" beers will hurt you. Yuengling now has a plant over in cigar city.They are now making an IPL which uses belma hops that is pretty tasty