B&B melomel

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

B&B melomel

Post by Yonder »

After a month's wait and several days "on oak" here we are; Boysenberry, Blueberry Melomel. A full rich color and deep, mellow berry flavor.The photo doesn't do the clarity justice, it's like dark glass. On first taste while racking off I found a bit too much of a tannin finish so i put it on some medium oak for 4 days in a natual "nuke" process (outside it was 40's at nite, upper 70's by day) and that soaked up most of the acid and lent a mild vanilla hint. We're at just over 11% ABV. Can't wait for a taste of aged mead. :angel:
For a 1 gal test I used 2.75 lb of honey (unfortunately I only had access to wildflower, which is never ideal); 2 lbs boysenberry puree; water to 1 gallon. Pitched 71B yeast with Goferm and alternated nutes and DAP for 8 days. FG went .996 and after potassium sorbate, I added .5 lb of honey and 1 lb of pureed frozen blueberries.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: B&B melomel

Post by Shine0n »

Man that's beautiful, I have alot in progress but nothing finished other than an oak barrel aged trad and some style of bragott that's not real clear and very malted.

Only half gal of the OA trad and a gallon of the other, the big party wiped me out of my others.

I do have in the 5 gal barrel a bochet at 11.5% and some orange blossom trad almost ready to rack.

I think I like melomels more than trads but let this OB get finished and I may change my mind. But melomel can hide some imperfections that a trad cant so maybe I need this OB to finish really good so I can up my game.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: B&B melomel

Post by Yonder »

Thanks ShineOn, ive really fallen for mead lately. Playin with the mild flavors and getting that little extra in the sip makes it worthwhile. Just ran a 8 gal whiskey batch today ta keep up the spirit locker. She was getting mighty low. To me, that's both ends of the spectrum.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.