Barrel fermented bochet

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Barrel fermented bochet

Post by Shine0n »

17.5lb local lover honey
Water to the 5 gal mark
QA23 dry wine yeast
Fermaid O w/sna

I caramelized the honey on a med temp on my range until i had my desired level of color and flavor. I do not under any circumstances get it to the point of molasses color, at that point it to me becomes rancid tasting. Just my opinion!

When i do my caramelized honey, i like to get into a nice toffee, caramel and marshmallow flavor. Just a bit on the darker amber color.

I fermented this in a wheat bourbon barrel on its 4th use, 1st time fermenting in it tho.

I was home for the first 10 days of fermentation and have been gone on the road since, 2 months now.

OG 1.120ISH
I did all the nutrient addition before I left and it was going strong, my wife told me yesterday that the airlock still shows signs of positive pressure so i assume there is still c02 but i really need to get this racked soon as i get home today.

For my secondary im going to add blueberries and vanilla beans for no longer than 10 days, coffee maybe less but ill let this go dry if needed after secondary as the caramelized honey and barrel will add a sweetness unrelated to the fg/sg.

Pics to come later
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Barrel fermented bochet

Post by fizzix »

I had mead for the very first time a few weeks ago at my brew club and enjoyed the sweet bounty.
Never had anything like it and now your caramelized version sounds extremely intriguing. I understand with fruit it's called "bochetomel."(?)
I'll expect a full report on my desk when it's done, Shine0n. :P
Do let us all know how these turn out. You have my interest.
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

This has me intreagued also. Caramelised honey? Never thought of doing that.
Always impatient. But learning.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Well, i finally got home after a long 2+ months on the road and now I can say this is amazing and now having added 12 lbs of blueberries it will still need another couple weeks to come around and bottled.

Fizzix, mead is zomething special and just like likker...endless possibilities too!

I also have a mesquite trad that i am clearing atm and its mighty tasty, fg on it is 1.01so it has a very nice mellow sweetness to it along with a great honey flavor.

Buckwheat cherry melomel is almost finished, its 1.025 so can stand to go longer although i did rack off the gross lees.

Mesquite trad is now bottled and ready to send to yonder with 1 more he'll see once his package arrives. Lol

Im going to get some honey tomorrow and do another barrel ferment, more than likely will be with coffee and vanilla.