Want to make a gruit!

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sttifyd35
Novice

Want to make a gruit!

Post by sttifyd35 »

Hi guys! Was wondering if anyone has tried or actively makes beer either without hops or with an alternative bittering agent. I love beer, however, my girlfriend is allergic to hops. I have the idea of hopping my brew with juniper berries. If anyone has perfected this, please give me some insight. Im going to start with a small batch. Just would like to know how much juniper i would use. I dont want to overpower the brew. Thanks!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Want to make a gruit!

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Gruit?
Screenshot_20190315-182047_Gallery.jpg
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

New Zealand had a hop crop failure in the last 70's and there was almost none that made it to the homebrew market. Kiwi's being pretty inventive tried all sorts of things to make a good bittering agent. Grapefruit pith won-out as it was easy to find, most homes grow their own, and works well when processed properly.
Scrape the white pith out of the fruit, being careful not to get any of the actual skin with the pith. The pith can be dried and saved or used fresh. There is no citrus taste to the pith as long as there is no peel with it, it's just bitter, in fact it's very bitter. If you use fresh pith use a little less than an ounce/per ounce of hops you substitute. If you use dry pith use 1/2 an ounce per. The only problem with Grapefruit pith is there are no subtle flavor/taste variations that you get with different hop varieties, it's just bitter, so it works well with a simple ale (like an English pale ale or bitter) and of course the NZ favorite...good old Steinlager style lagers (pale light pilsener style lager)
Hope this helps...Kiwi.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Just an add on... to your idea with juniper...If you like spruce beer you'll enjoy it. It's more piney than bitter. That being said spruce beer is one of my LEAST favorite brews. Think "Viking jockstrap"
Getting hung up all day on smiles
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Viking jockstrap OMG I get hell for too much garlic.
WillieP
Novice

Post by WillieP »

I would suggest you start here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/sear ... =relevance
I've had good luck with the folks over there, and a lot of knowledge too.

Hope this helps,
WillieP