Wine question

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Re: Wine question

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Sorry about delay in reply guys. Went back on shift Wed been real busy.
Yes leap year/day wedding. That's their call I guess.

Will work on that time line that you worked out. Hope the wine turns out ok.
Thanks for all the help and advice. I work an 8 on 6 off work schedule so when I'm home I have time to do things and can usually plan my other ferments so I have a window to get my still going when the house is quiet. Should be able to do this with the wine as well.
Cheers
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

cayars wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:23 pm I couldn't find what's included in the kits.
Did you add potassium sorbate, potassium metabisulfite or sodium metabisulfite? These make the yeast go dormant and stop fermentation.
If so then you can add simple syrup (sugar solution) to sweeten the wine up which will get rid of a lot of the tartness and not have to worry about the yeast kicking back in and trying to ferment the new sugar.

I typically adjust the sweetness of most wines I make this way. Just grab a pan and make some simple syrup on the stove. Traditional simple syrup is 1 part water and 1 part sugar by volume (use a measuring cup). A 2:1 solution is 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. A 4:1 solution is 4 parts sugar to 1 part water. Just heat up on the stove to help the sugar melt. It should go clear (maybe a slight yellow tint). Try a small batch of 4:1 solution as you don't want to dilute the wine with water. You could try 8:1 for that matter.

Take a sample glass of wine and add a teaspoon/tablespoon of syrup at a time to see what it does to the wine. Experiment on a small sample like a wine glass full in case you don't like the results. Once you know you can improve it and what you want it to taste like you can do the same to the big batch a bit at a time, stir, sample, add more, stir, sample, etc until you get it to taste just right.

You can easily overdue it on purpose in the glass to see where things take a turn for the worse and know what the taste is like to stay below that sweetness level. A little sugar can go a long way removing tartness so experiment in the glass first!

BTW, you can even bottle some dryer first if you and wife differ on sweetness levels, then add the syrup and bottle some a bit sweeter.
Potassium sorbate and the sulfites do not stop an active fermentation.
The sorbate prevents yeast from reproducing, so can prevent fermentation when back sweetening, but won't stop one anyway going.
Sulfites do make a less hospitable environment for yeast, but will only stun them, so they wake up once the sulfites bind up.

Fermenting to .994 isn't uncommon, just a very complete ferment. Can add some sorbate and back sweeten if you want.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

He was already done fermenting and we were just trying to see if it would be safe to back sweeten or not.
If you read farther you'll also see talk about filtering and micron size needed to filter out the yeast. :)
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Update. We racked off both wines last evening into new carboys. I was surprised how little sediment was in the bottom of the fermenters. Both taste quite good. Both a little tart fo MY liking but she thinks they are just right. Added the packets of clearing agents. Let them rest now until botteling time. We definitly have wine.
Cheers
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Congrats.
See if maybe you can get a compromise on just a little sugar syrup to lessen the tartness which you can try in a test glass so nothing is changed if either of you don't like it. If not, a little tart isn't the end of the world when she likes it. :)

You'll likely want to rack them again given you have the time to do so and just added clearing agents.

You're in great shape for the big day.
Any progress on labels?
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

NorthWoodsAb wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:01 pm We racked off both wines last evening into new carboys. I was surprised how little sediment was in the bottom of the fermenters. Both taste quite good. Both a little tart fo MY liking but she thinks they are just right. Added the packets of clearing agents. Let them rest now until botteling time. We definitly have wine.
Yah.. in the secondary phase, there is not much in the form of sediments, but there will be lots more after the clearing phase..

I would allow the clearing phase to take place until the mid January, at that point, rack the wine off the clearing phase, and the next day filter it, then let the wine rest for 3 - 4 days, then it will be ready to be bottled..

By bottling the wine sometime by the third week of January, the wine will have time to stabilize in the bottles before being served.. and one more point, once the wine is bottled, leave the bottles upright for 5 days, then rest the bottle on their sides, as this will help the cork to seal out the air, therefore improving on the flavour..

As to adjusting the sweetness some, it is best done after the filtering has taken place..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I'd totally agree with everything said. My only point about the tartness is that a bit of experimentation with a small glass sample and some simple syrup might give some insight, not that it should be added yet (if at all).
bastardbrewer
Bootlegger

Post by bastardbrewer »

0.994 works for me, call me a wine snob but I like my wines dry and have never backsweetened any. Tartness may be due to fermenting on the high side, which could also be the cause of it fermenting out so quickly. I like to rack multiple times, even up to 4 times. Fully agree with oaking and aging, time will make it a better wine. If it's for all wedding guests, keep in mind many (most if not all here in Europe anyway) like their wine dry(ish), so below 1.00 anyway. I don't think there's any sweet Chardonnay's out there, it is meant to be dry.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Wine update. We bottled the wine this evening. Ange from the brew shop came out to the house with her plate filter, vacuum bottle filler and corker. We ended up with 24 (750ml) of the red and 23 of the white. Ange was impressed how both wines cleared. The gals didn't feel that either wine needed sweetning (who am I to argue).
Have a couple of fermenters back now for some beer.
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement folks. I would have scrapped this stuff 2 months ago. Time and patience pays off with this hobby.
Cheers
Oms
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Congrats!

Patience is a virtue in this hobby!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Congratulation..

And thank you for following the advise provided and the update.. now all that need to be done is allow the bottles to stay upright for a few days, then lay them on their side, in a cool area until the end of Feb for the event.. that will give it some time to improve yet..

If the process is not pushed and done properly, wine will clear up quite well to almost no need to filter them..

Best for your event..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:21 am Congratulation..

And thank you for following the advise provided and the update..
Mars
2 things SB, it would be arrogant to ask for advice then ignore it when others take the time to offer suggestions and help. Secondly it would be rude not to give an update after all, my success is yours also.
Cheers 🍻🍻

Oms
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Update to an old post of mine. Kind of funny actually.

It's late I'm watching a movie and decided I'd enjoy a glass of wine. Well the batch in question above turned out just fine. We made it for step-daughters wedding, Feb 29 2020.
Wedding never happened.
We served at our own wedding in May 22.
Step daughter can be a little thick at times, was a university student when her Mom and I married. Apologized for not having a decent wedding gift for us. I told her "oh but you did give us a great gift, you supplied the wine". Went right over her head. Mom had to remind her about the wine we made for her. That still makes me laugh.
Still have a few bottles of the red left.
Enjoying a glass now and a chuckle.
Also a belated thanks to you guys that encouraged and helped me appreciate that we can buy the best kit and ingredients in the world for this hobby, but we can't put a price on patience.
Cheers
NWoods
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Cool story Northwood 👍
Not so good about the Step daughter but happy news you and Mrs tied the knot and the wine has come in plenty good .

I’m sure that wine is bloody delicious with 4 years in it :ebiggrin:
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:33 am Cool story Northwood 👍
Not so good about the Step daughter but happy news you and Mrs tied the knot and the wine has come in plenty good .

I’m sure that wine is bloody delicious with 4 years in it :ebiggrin:
Thanks Yummy, daughter no go wedding at the time turned out for the best. Has a good guy now.
Yes the wine is good now.
Cheers mate.
NW

Edit. Movie I was watching " William Kelly War" Aussie flick.
G-Grandmother was Irish Kelly. Some came to British North America, Canada now, some went to US and Austrailia. Genealogy buff among other interests.
Cheers mate
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Your story made me laugh ....yes late at night here to ,and had a couple of drinks, nice that you married and got to drink the wine that you made for another wedding.
FWIW I was once told by an old and wise man , that regarding university's , the words intelligent and educated should never be confused , they have very different meanings.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:56 am Your story made me laugh....
the words intelligent and educated should never be confused , they have very different meanings.
Glad you enjoyed story Salty. Your words about education and intelligence could not be more accurate.
Cheers