Mulberry wine help

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sailman
Swill Maker

Mulberry wine help

Post by Sailman »

A friend wanted me to help them make some Mulberry wine and it has not started fermentation I need help diagnosing the problem. First this is what I did.

I had 8.7 lb of mulberries crushed.
pectic enzyme
Wine tannin
yeast nutrient
Acid blend
Campden tablets

After I added the campdem tablets (3) I waited 24 hours before I pitched the yeast everything was stirred prior to pitching the yeast to aerate the must. After adding the water everything came up to a volume of 3 and 1/2 gallons. I pitched last night with 5 grams of Montrachet yeast. This morning I have no signs of fermentation. I'm not saying that it's not fermenting because the lid that I have might be leaking, it's not believed that came with the fermentation bucket so I had to make due. I think it's a little too early to try to take a gravity reading to see if it is changed . What could be wrong or does it typically take longer to get started? I haven't done any wine in 30 years so I don't know what to expect.

I forgot this morning I added a heating pad to the must to see if I could get the temperature up but then I researched the yeast and it's good from 50 or so degrees to 89 so I think I'm good there.
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Re: Mulberry wine help

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

It's not uncommon to not see any active fermentation for upto 48 hours, so don't worry yet.
Your sulfite levels are higher than I'd use before fermentation (I'm guessing around 60ppm), which may cause problems for the yeast.
I'd have only added 1.5, aiming for 30ppm, most commercial yeast can tolerate that, but its enough to protect the must.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

The only reason I added it that much was because the package said one per gallon and to wait 24 hours after doing that.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Sailman wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:19 am I pitched last night with 5 grams of Montrachet yeast. This morning I have no signs of fermentation. I'm not saying that it's not fermenting because the lid that I have might be leaking,
Was the temp of the must at the time of pitching, plus was the yeast sprinkle or stirred in or proof and stirred in.. and the addition of 3 tablets of campden was on the high side, as stated, yeast do not like a high sulfide environment ..

The yeast used has a wide range of fermenting temp, and it's mid range would be about 75 - 77*F, and would my targeted fermenting temp..

All the wines I made, the yeast was just sprinkled on top, and would take about 1.5 days to starting using sign of fermentation.. so just over night is nothing to be concern yet..

As to having the fermenter seal, it's not a requirement in the first stage which the production of alcohol, but it's important to have it under an air lock in the secondary stage and on forward.. oxygen it the enemy of wine..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Okay thanks guys it was room temperature at time of pitching the yeast and it was just sprinkled on top also I did add 5 lb of white sugar to bring up the gravity points to 1.080 I guess I'll give it another day or so and see what happens.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Sailman wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:38 am Okay thanks guys it was room temperature at time of pitching the yeast and it was just sprinkled on top also I did add 5 lb of white sugar to bring up the gravity points to 1.080 I guess I'll give it another day or so and see what happens.
I'm confused by your respond, but let see if I understand it right..

The addition of white sugar, was that done before the yeast was pitched or after.. and what does "room temperature" mean in actual number..

If you sprinkled the yeast, it should be visable on top of the must and show sign of proofing itself..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Okay when I got the recipe together I forgot to mention that I added 5 lb of white table sugar. Yes the sugar was added before the yeast. I mixed all the ingredients up and added the campden tablets and then let it sit cupboard with a mesh Brew bag for 24 hours. The room temperature in my house stays anywhere between 75 to 72 degrees constant. Before I sprinkled the yeast on top of the must I gave it a vigorous stir with a spoon.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Ok.. so is the yeast visible on top of the must, as it was sprinkle, there should be signs of proofing.. and the ambiance room temp would be ideal for fermenting..

Quote.. "Before I sprinkled the yeast on top of the must I gave it a vigorous stir with a spoon." was the must still in motion or allow to become still before the yeast was pitched..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I'm at work currently and I don't know if the yeast is still sitting on top of the must I'll check that when I get home. Yes the must was steel before I pitch the yeast I let it settle after the vigorous stir.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I think things have started to change I just opened it up and looked at it and I think the fermentation has started. At least it smells like it has I've got a couple pictures one is before pitching and one is after. What do you guys think?
IMG_20200817_195841.jpg
this is the after I couldn't get the before to download
rsz_20200815_173022.jpg
OK got it fixed, this is before the yeast
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

That surely looks like it's start fermenting.. by tomorrow there should be a heavy foam cap formed.. just leave alone and let the yeast do it thing..

Depending of the SG at start, check the SG in about 4 days and see where it's at..

Mars

– Albert Einstein