Brite tank for sparkling wine?

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chucker
Swill Maker

Re: Brite tank for sparkling wine?

Post by Chucker »

I once made a carbonation tank for a small scale winemaker. Wrapped it with some copper coils, insulated and cladded it. That’s all we did was chill the wine and then slowly pressurize through the carb stone and hold. We may have shaken it a bit. The honey wine turned out amazing like that, but, sadly, he never got around to marketing it and our trial was as far as it went.
When we do beer testing for some work stuff we put the product back into the keg and then we use a reverse tap to inject co2 back through the spear. Then we roll, shake, and chill.
All of this is far from any scientific metering of gas by volume but is how they treat small volume keg transfer in the industry for making samples.
The carb stone does a better job of diffusion.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Brite tank for sparkling wine?

Post by still_stirrin »

Chucker wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:16 amWhen we do beer testing for some work stuff we put the product back into the keg and then we use a reverse tap to inject co2 back through the spear. Then we roll, shake, and chill.
+1.

When I keg my beer, I do the same.

I use Sanke tap (30 liter/5 gallon) kegs, so I simply inject the CO2 down through the spear. I’ll rock it back and forth until I hear it doesn’t take much more CO2. I usually “bleed out” the air from the ullage at the start by releasing the pressure from the relief valve. It may foam up a little when doing this, but soon that will subside. I force carbonate the chilled beer at the pressure desired for 2 to 2-1/2 volumes, depending on the beer style.

A brite tank with carbonation stone would be nice, but for me (a homebrewer), it’s a bit of an “overkill” expense. My simple method is easy and effective.

Usually, I can get carbonated beer off tap the same day it’s kegged, although the carbonation level is much more stable after a week, or so. Counter-pressure bottling “growlers to go” benefit from the additional time in the kegster under pressure however.

Here’s a calculator to calculate the volumes of CO2 at temperature and pressure: https://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbo ... alculator/
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K