distilling wort to remove methanol

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

j_haus
Novice

distilling wort to remove methanol

Post by j_haus »

Being a noob to distilling I've been reading a lot about methanol. So, if I am understanding correctly, there is methanol in all fermented liquids, ie) wash, must, wort and, that methanol is a major contributor to hangovers. As a veteran brewer I was wondering, if I were to distill off 50ml (or whatever) of my wort to remove the methanol component, would my homebrewed beer cause less of a hangover?
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: distilling wort to remove methanol

Post by bluefish_dist »

Unfortunately recent testing has shown for other than fruit fermentations, methanol concentration in the fores is a myth. Also fermentations without pectin, ie grain and sugar make very little methanol. That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t toss fores, but it’s not because of methanol.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

That and the antidote to methanol poisoning is ethanol. I don’t think boiling your fermented wort is going to make it a better beer. Maybe you could make a vacuum still and take fores at a lower temp?

-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I would say not to create this problem for you. You will drink methanol but in very low quantities and diluted in all your beers. Also you should reheat all your beer .......
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

More methanol misinformation. Normal ferments create very little, as in inconsequential quantities, of methanol. Yes, foreshots contain compounds we want removed but methanol isn't the main nasty.

You'd be basically high temperature pasturizing you beer and I'm sure that would negatively impact your finished product far beyond the benefit of removing the small quantities of undesirable compounds.

Look up how much methanol is naturally present in your morning glass on orange juice, you might be surprised.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
bluedog
Novice

Post by bluedog »

A lot of non alcoholic beer is made by vaccuum distilling it to remove the alcohol. Pretty sure it doesn't doesn't do much to improve the flavor, since its usually pretty bad. Certainly helps the hangover if you remove 95% of the alcohol though.
Thebigbrewbowski
Novice

Post by Thebigbrewbowski »

Not drinking to excess helps eliminate hangovers as well😆
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

+1 to brewbowski.

Also, drinking lots of water helps hangover recovery. Plus, take a B vitamin every day as it helps the body metabolize alcohol...all alcohols.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Other compounds are also major contributors to hangovers, I think acetaldehyde is a major one. It's produced in most alcoholic fermentations, since it's a precursor of ethanol.

Giving the yeast time to finish the job and wipe up after itself is probably the best way I know of minimising secondary compounds. When I brew beer, I let the fermentation sit for about half as long as it took. So for example, an ale fermentation that takes five days will sit there at fermentation temperature for three days before I cold crash it. This minimises a lot of fermentation by-products.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Captain Clyde
Novice

Post by Captain Clyde »

Reviving this thread.

Have a look at this link. Might need tampons for your eyes, but it is very informative.

Basically, you should microwave your beer!!! Hahahaha..
Jacketed boiler. 3” column, dephlegmator and a bunch of shipmates.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

You must have missed posting the link Clyde. Maybe 24 posts in 14 hours is why. Slow down and look around you will figure out stuff out understand what you are asking before you ask.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

acfixer69 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:19 pm You must have missed posting the link Clyde. Maybe 24 posts in 14 hours is why. Slow down and look around you will figure out stuff out understand what you are asking before you ask.
Clearly he accidentally missed the link. What's the purpose of the unnecessary criticism? It comes off as hostile. Chill out, use proper grammar next time and people might understand what your intentions are and/or what you are trying to say.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I'm going to laugh that babbling shit off. I said that first line.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

acfixer69 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:00 pm I'm going to laugh that babbling shit off. I said that first line.
:lol: Ok bro, have a good night :wave: Read it again tomorrow.