First actual beer

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

First actual beer

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

I wanted to try to make beer and not distill it. The weirdest part was actually being so meticulous in sanitization. Let's face it, using Star San was a bit new to me. I even wore gloves. I doubt the sanitizer would have eaten my hand away but I figured better to be safe than sorry. After sanitizing everything away I went.

Since I am a huge fan of Leinenkugels Summer Shandy I went with the Lazy Lemon Radler beer kit. Using a beer kit was like going back to my first few times making liquor but I figured I'd follow a set plan. Kinda like learning all over again.

Pitched yeast last night so we'll see. This morning they were working away.

Two questions:

Any suggestions on other Lemon type beers?

What is the best go to forum as a beer maker? What is the Home Distiller of the beer guys? There seems to be a ton out there.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First actual beer

Post by subbrew »

I spent a lot of time and hundreds of messages on Homebrewtalk.com. You will find most answers there. And like here there are certain people that are truly experts. If you see a post from Yooper, pay attention. She knows more about making beer and wine than most will ever dream of.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I believe that all the beers of that category are produced with the addition of lemon essence + citric acid, beer and sugar and other things I ignore ... actually it would be more right to call them "beer beverage". As for sanitation, when I make my beer I am very very scrupulous with cleanliness / sanitation while if you are distilled you can relax much more.
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

subbrew wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:31 am I spent a lot of time and hundreds of messages on Homebrewtalk.com. You will find most answers there. And like here there are certain people that are truly experts. If you see a post from Yooper, pay attention. She knows more about making beer and wine than most will ever dream of.
Awesome. Thanks. I see they even have a section of fermented foods. I just got into that recently as well.
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Demy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:46 am actually it would be more right to call them "beer beverage". .
I get it. Not really beer. My buddies give me shit all the time. There's nothing better than being out on the lake in the pontoon in the summer with a Summer Shandy. Now, winter time that's different. I guess it's because I'll drink pretty much anything with alcohol in it. Except seltzers, now those are an abomonation.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Not a fan of selzers, but leinenkugels are the most palatable.
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

I grew up on Leinies Original. When it was just Lenies and way before all the foo foo shit.
nadiawinget
Novice

Post by nadiawinget »

I'm a huge fan of craft beer[https://boozehut.co.uk/craft-beer-london/] and other craft spirits. I have tried Habesha Beer[https://boozehut.co.uk/habesha/] while in the UK, which was a truly flavourful experience. Many of these small breweries make some awesome stuff.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

In Germany they mix wheat beer half way with lemonade to create Radler. It is given to children when they are allowed to eat with adults in public to mellow them out :)

But it is also delicious on a hot day! Congrats on your first beer, hopefully it turns out well. It is a different hobby but you will get really good at mashing, and learn a ton about flavor from malts!
:)
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

I am not a fan of “tutti frutti” Belgian style ales. I don't even like Stella Artois lager (reminds me of sour watermelon).

This Sam Addams' batch they are talking about below, incorporated 2,000 lbs of cherries. I'm curious; but it will be a cold day in hell before I fork over $240.00 for a single bottle of suds...

https://www.aol.com/lifestyle/samuel-ad ... 01040.html
Omnia mea mecum porto