Peach wine (and Brandy)

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Peach wine (and Brandy)

Post by EricTheRed »

Peach season is upon us here, and i got 40kg of yellow peaches from a neighbour for free! :)

We cut up the peaches into smallish pieces.
* Note: the pips we also simmered for about 2 hours, stripped the flesh off, added some sugar to the flesh and made 6 pots of Jam! :)

30kg of cut up peaches (skin on)
14L of hot water
2 TBSP Calcium Chloride

Bring to a boil then let simmer for 30 - 45 minutes or until the fruit is soft
Once transferred to the mash tun, use a paint stick in a drill to break up the fruit fully.
Let cool (or force cool) to 48°C in the mash tun.
add Pectolaze to convert the pectin
Cover with blankets and leave for 2 - 3 hours (we left it overnight)
Mix well again with the paint stirrer

2 TBSP of yeast nutrient
1 TBSP of Lalvin DV10

Stir 3 or 4 times daily to break up the raft and keep it hydrated.

Should be done in a week

Once cleared for wine, 1/2 will be bottled as wine and 1/2 of it will go into the boiler for Brandy and Liqueur
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Peach wine (and Brandy)

Post by Ben »

Nice, I need to get on the peaches next year!
:)
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I made a peach win a few years back from what the french call pêche de vigne. I think they're more commonly called blood peaches in English-speaking countries, but I'd never seen them before. A neighbour had a glut and didn't like them so she gifted us a bag of something like 8kg. We made jam from a few and the rest I turned into wine. I didn't have any pectinase so it developed a nice haze. I let it stand for about 6 months all in, and then bottled it, and at bottling time it was undrinkable, but I stuck it under the house and left it. A year later it had developed into a fantastic dry white wine. Good for cocktails and for drinking as is.

After her bumper harvest, the neighbour "pruned" her tree almost back to the trunk. Really hoping for a decent fruit year in 2022 and that I might manage to get my hands on some more.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

An update on the wine and brandy

After letting it ferment out (dry at .990 @ 14% ABV) and then settling etc., we bottled it just after christmas. Very dry - but that is how SWAMBO likes it. It will develop properly over the next 6 months or so (if she can keep her mitts off it)

Took 15 liters of it, and did a strip and spirit run on it. Currently have 1.8 Litres at 62% in a jar with 2 medium char toasted staves. Will let that sit for i recon 5 - 8 months before i touch it. :)
Strange thing when i ran it - almost NO bad heads and very very little ucky tails - i ended up using just about everything that came out of the still (5L Alembic) - no harshness at all - so looking forward to what this develops into.
Fwapsk
Novice

Post by Fwapsk »

I have two peach trees and recently made my second batch of peach wine. I de-pitted the peaches and blanched them to remove the skins and then froze them in bags as I didnt know what i wanted to do with it at the time. I found the defrosted peaches didnt need to be cooked - i bagged them in mesh bags and mushed it up in the bucket fermenter. I also added water and adjusted pH with acid blend, added a little potassium metabisulfite, waited 12 hours and added pectic enzyme and let sit another 12 hours. Pitched EC-1118 yeast and stirred well. I squeezed the peach bag twice daily for 5 days during fermentation, then removed the bag dripping over a bowl, squeezing every 15 minutes for an hour and putting that juice back into the fermenter. When the SG reached 1.02, I racked into another fermenter with another airlock and its now sitting in a coolish dark basement. I'll re-rack every 30 days until clear, using pectinase and fining if needed. Just getting into distilling so I think I'll wait until next years batch to make peach brandy as I want to make UJSSM first! But the peach wine is remarkable good, and its still pretty freshly bottled so should improve more. Mine was hazy too, but pectinase and 2 part finings let the wine develop beautiful clarity.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Good stuff
Ours is starting clear up very nicely. By the 6 month mark it should be crystal clear.
Opened the brandy yesterday. Smells nice. Didn't taste yet.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

EricTheRed wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:03 am
Took 15 liters of it, and did a strip and spirit run on it. Currently have 1.8 Litres at 62% in a jar with 2 medium char toasted staves. Will let that sit for i recon 5 - 8 months before i touch it. :)
That is a good yield from 30kg of fruit, i did 50kg of pears and got less than that.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

The pectolaze helps a lot to get more fermentable sugars which in turn gives more liquid
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

I know this is an old thread. But I just cut up my peaches and put em in to freeze. Ordered ec 1118 yeast. It'll be here this week. Ready to try my hand at some wine
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

My peach wine has been fermenting since Saturday. Smells so good. Can't wait to try it.
distillingwisdom
Novice

Post by distillingwisdom »

EricTheRed wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:03 am An update on the wine and brandy

After letting it ferment out (dry at .990 @ 14% ABV) and then settling etc., we bottled it just after christmas. Very dry - but that is how SWAMBO likes it. It will develop properly over the next 6 months or so (if she can keep her mitts off it)

Strange thing when i ran it - almost NO bad heads and very very little ucky tails - i ended up using just about everything that came out of the still (5L Alembic) - no harshness at all - so looking forward to what this develops into.
You got 14% Abv without adding any sugar in it?
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

distillingwisdom wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:06 am
EricTheRed wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:03 am An update on the wine and brandy

You got 14% Abv without adding any sugar in it?
Yup - but added very little water - it was just mostly peach