High Ester Rum

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: High Ester Rum

Postby OtisT » Mon May 21, 2018 7:41 am

distiller_dresden wrote:Beautiful Otis! What was the toast finish on the wood for that barrel you had the rum in? I need to figure out what I am going to do for 2 BadMo barrels...

These I toasted myself at 400 F for 2 hours on the inside only. I’d call it a medium toast.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
viewtopic.php?t=52975
OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby OtisT » Mon May 21, 2018 7:51 am

Saltbush Bill wrote:
OtisT wrote:There is also something new that may be caramel,

Otis I doubt you would have been disappointed had you let it oak longer, I believe the caramel would have developed further given time,that seems to be the case with mine anyway.

I know, that was a really tough call to pull it from the barrel now. I’m still focused on experimenting a lot versus production volume, and I may make a few bad calls along the way. My biggest concern was over oaking with the new oak barrel and hiding all that sweet rum taste. I also figured I had more than enough volume to try a few different things with the batch. It does taste good now, and I’ve got a few friends that are owed some of my juice. ;-).

All that said, I did put half back in with some fresh make, triple distilled rum. That all should continue to develop, at a slower pace, and hopefully I will get all that caramel (or whatever it is) eventually. Time will tell. Thanks, Otis
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
viewtopic.php?t=52975
OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Shine0n » Mon May 21, 2018 11:06 am

I had some from early 2016 and man that shit was oaky as hell, fast forward to Jan 2018 and is one of my favorites. Nice vanilla up front and caramel on the back end.
It was also done on oak at 400 for 2 hours, that has seemed to be the best temp for the size domino's I make.
Shine0n
Master Distiller

Postby Oldvine Zin » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:40 pm

OtisT wrote:HER 1 Update - 14 weeks in the barrel

After three months I sampled my first batch of double pot stilled molasses rum (HER 1) that was in a toasted new american oak Badmo barrel.
It smells wonderful. I still smell the base of my molasses rum with all sorts of sweet fruitiness. The first few new smells that hit me were Vanilla and Butter. The Vanilla hits me first thing, while the butter seems to come and go. I can lightly smell the toasted oak underneath the heavier scents. There is also something new that may be caramel, or similar. Just can't quite name it. Any hint of tails or dunder that was in the barrel cut is no longer detectable.

It tastes a lot stronger of oak/toast than it smells. I would loved to have put this in a once used barrel, but I only had new. I don't what to over oak this so for me it's enough. I decided to pull the rum now, before too much more oak flavor gets in there. 6.5 liters at 65%. ( I was both lightly sampling and topping off this barrel over the three months.)
IMG_1057.JPG

I bottled some up to share and will figure out what to do with the rest at a later date.

Otis

Came home to a surprise package - Thanks Otis!! I'll try some tomorrow

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby OtisT » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:51 am

Oldvine Zin wrote:Came home to a surprise package - Thanks Otis!! I'll try some tomorrow

OVZ

I hope you enjoy it. I don’t often have folks who know distilling try my product, so please be brutally honest if you want to give me any feedback on it. In the long run it will help me make better stuff.

Otis
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
viewtopic.php?t=52975
OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby distiller_dresden » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:31 pm

OtisT wrote:
Oldvine Zin wrote:Came home to a surprise package - Thanks Otis!! I'll try some tomorrow

OVZ

I hope you enjoy it. I don’t often have folks who know distilling try my product, so please be brutally honest if you want to give me any feedback on it. In the long run it will help me make better stuff.

Otis

:envy:
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
distiller_dresden
Swill Maker

Postby VLAGAVULVIN » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 am

OtisT wrote:
zapata wrote:Sweet, all around success then. Love the labels!

I totally stole the idea from a scotch clearing house someone here on HD posted about.

I can see that guy anytime in the mirror / the idea does work for any kind of our elements, yeah :)

Shiners share their mind on air
VLAGAVULVIN
Bootlegger

Postby distiller_dresden » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Hey Otis, thinking about your comments RE your barreled rum...

It kind of occurs to me that maybe you felt that it was/could've been reaching for, in your personal opinion, getting more oaked than you wanted, or you weren't sure at least. Would you in the future/next time maybe wait to barrel up your rum until the barrel had seen another spirit/been used for something else first, and maybe a fresh/first barrel for the rum was too soon?

Right before I get my first two BadMo barrels and I have 90oz of white 120 rum that's fresh, and 60oz that's been on an oak domino and a maple domino for a couple weeks, I was going to mix them and put them into a BadMo but am wondering this and thought your input would be an important part of this decision process.
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
distiller_dresden
Swill Maker

Previous

Return to Rum