Cheap Bundaberg Molasses

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Cheap Bundaberg Molasses

Post by Yummyrum » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 am

I wouldn’t be so sure . From what I’ve heard from someone that worked at a refinery , only difference between food grade black strap and animal grade is the Packing process hygiene in the factory.One gets put into nice clean Plastic containers , the other goes into a dirty old tanker that never gets cleaned out . Seeing as I’m not consuming it directly , I’ll go dirty old truck :ewink:

StriaghtJakket
Novice

Post by StriaghtJakket » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:10 am

very interesting indeed. I'm very keen now to see the difference - if any. If not, I will not be disappointed as the feed stuff in cheap and round the corner.

RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:19 am

nice, 80/200l

Where aboutish are you , couldnt bring deet up on a search, how far do i have to drive? :lol:

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:28 am

From what I've been told, all food grade / "Human Consuption" here is what is extracted from the raw sugar at the plant where they refine raw sugar to white sugar.
This is the stuff in the photos that Yummy put up on page one of the thread.

As I know it there is only one other grade of molasses in AU ....that's the stock feed or blackstrap as some call it, they are both one and the same as far as I am aware. That stuff comes straight from the Mill into huge storage tanks.
It is then sold to contractors who transport it and on sell to Live Stock Feed Suppliers....Horse breeders / trainers, pet food factories, cattle feedlots , or anyone else who will buy it in bulk.

kimbodious
Trainee

Post by kimbodious » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:36 am

Saltbush Bill wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:28 am
From what I've been told, all food grade / "Human Consuption" here is what is extracted from the raw sugar at the plant where they refine raw sugar to white sugar.
This is the stuff in the photos that Yummy put up on page one of the thread.

As I know it there is only one other grade of molasses in AU ....that's the stock feed or blackstrap as some call it, they are both one and the same as far as I am aware. That stuff comes straight from the Mill into huge storage tanks.
It is then sold to contractors who transport it and on sell to Live Stock Feed Suppliers....Horse breeders / trainers, pet food factories, cattle feedlots , or anyone else who will buy it in bulk.
Spot on SBB! The other name for it is Final Molasses when there is no longer any commercially recoverable sucrose. The Mill where I worked would produce about 4,500 tonnes of the stuff. It keeps forever unless it gets diluted with water. Plenty of sheds up this way with ancient barrels of F. Mol. They also use it for stripping rust off carbon steel, and making rum. Definitely not food grade, full of undissolved impurities such as iron flakes. Makes the best caramel slice ever.

See if you can find the Hamish and Andy “Human Lamington” video for jaw-dropping footage of an undercover man made lake of molasses.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
Modular 2" CCVM

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:58 am

Thank you Kimbo , I was hoping you might turn up to give first hand information as I remember that you have worked in the Industry.
Would I be correct in saying that this stuff is not made and does not exist in this country?
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 01&t=81791

StriaghtJakket
Novice

Post by StriaghtJakket » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:14 pm

That is good to know! SBB/Kimbo - what is your take on the sulphured /un sulphured? this part of the world at the feed lots would be unsulphuerd correct?

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:09 am

I know there are people who claim to have bought Molasses with sulfur added. Personally Ive never seen the stuff and have never had a problem getting the molasses I buy locally to ferment.

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:08 am

Saltbush Bill wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:09 am
Personally Ive never seen the stuff and have never had a problem getting the molasses I buy locally to ferment.
Agree Salty , remember that stuff a few years ago that was fermenting before we got it home .Buckets were bulging.

Dathhu
Novice

Post by Dathhu » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:21 am

Well I don't have any experience run feed grade stuff to compare it to, but I'm loving the Bundaberg molasses so far.

Ferments like it's boiling, never seen anything go off like it. Done in a couple days, a couple more to settle and then bang it in the still.

One 10L drum in 50L seems to go pretty well for my liking. Makes it easy to mix up a batch too. Couple 20L strips then a spirit run with the bit left over for a 1.5 distillation.

Awesome smells off it, some nice fruitiness, some dried apricot, peach, pear maybe? Even had a cheeky nip from the strip run and it was bloody nice :ebiggrin:

I'll have to see how it ages up though, damn hard to keep my hands off it even white. Guess I'll just have to keep making more... :P

Dathhu
Novice

Post by Dathhu » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:20 am

Second generation is going a bit slower and has a different smell about it as well. Added about 10L of dunder in 50L from the first strip runs and I think I might have underpitched it a little. Still seems to have finished pretty well in a week, will get to stilling it in the next couple days.

The wash smells more chocolatey? Kind of like chocolate malt in beer brewing? Dark chocolate nose, not the sweet chocolate smell. Still have the the underlying fruit smells. Surprising as the dunder had a more molasses/liquorice smell to it.

Got some of the first sitting in glass on a couple different woods, some French, American and JD. Got another sample left as is to compare it to later. All about 60%. All smelling different, but nice.

Gave some samples of the white to some friends and they were amazed at the flavour in a white spirit, looks like Bacardi but it tastes like a full bodied rum.

I think I'm going to have to invest in a barrel or two for some long term aging...

hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:00 am

kimbodious wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:59 am
There is such a thing as beet molasses, has anyone tried using it?
https://www.feedipedia.org/node/711
Yes, and it is nasty. Made a rum and couldn't find one drop that was tolerable.

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:22 pm

Everything Ive ever read says beet mollases makes aweful rum.

Coonass
Novice

Post by Coonass » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:05 pm

Man, here in South Louisiana I just bought 700 lbs (61 gallons) of blackstrap molasses for $71. The feed store wanted $50 for 5 gallons, so I just bypassed them and went straight to the source! Then the forklift operator that loaded it there told me that if I told the office I was using it to bait and hunt wild hogs with they would've given me all I wanted for free! Looks like next time I'm going get "wild hog bait"!

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:06 pm

61 gal for $71 sounds cheap enough to me. Got enough molasses there to keep you busy for a fair while.

montanan_hippie_man
Novice

Post by montanan_hippie_man » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:22 pm

curious about dried flaked molasses. has anyone tried it or know anything about it from doing some googling i cant find much info on it besides it saying "dried molasses"...

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:30 pm

Typed dry molasses into forum google search . Scroll down a few to the HD Forum ones.

https://homedistiller.org/forum/app.php ... mit=Search

montanan_hippie_man
Novice

Post by montanan_hippie_man » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:48 pm

Yummyrum wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:30 pm
Typed dry molasses into forum google search . Scroll down a few to the HD Forum ones.

https://homedistiller.org/forum/app.php ... mit=Search
yea i think ill skip the dried molasses after reading a few posts haha