Newbie mistake

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

DunderBlunder
Novice

Newbie mistake

Post by DunderBlunder »

Gday,
I have attempted my first rum, unfortunately I think I stopped my stripping run to early.

I have roughly 5l of 55% low wines, it was only until after I had finished the stripping run that I realised I should have gone further into the tails and chased those rum oils. As it stands I stopped the stripping run once the stream was roughly 25%.

Unfortunately having only made gin before I assumed I could just dilute back with R.O water to get my low wines to 45%.
However after plenty of reading I now realize what a big no no that is.

I already have my second wash well on its way to being fully fermented (buccaneer bobs recipe).

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to combine my current 55% low wines with my second wash, and redo my stripping run until I get a combined low wines of 45%? (And hopefully get the rum oils that way).

Or

Would it be better to chock this up to a learning point and just make a less flavoured white rum to use for mojitos?

Any advice would really be appreciated!
You have to go through the shit and the mud, to get to the gold.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Newbie mistake

Post by Saltbush Bill »

DunderBlunder wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:52 pm I assumed I could just dilute back with R.O water to get my low wines to 45%.
However after plenty of reading I now realize what a big no no that is.
Its not such a huge no,no in my opinion, plenty of people use water to cut low wines to the wanted abv before distilling starts. It may not be optimum, but it sure isnt the end of the world either.
I'd strip the next lot the way you want,and then combine both lots of low wines.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Agree with SBB. Run you next batch hard and go deep in the tails. I go until the output is below 10%. You still might have to add a bit of water to the combined low wines but that is OK. My still last year was underpowered so even stripping runs were almost like spirit runs, starting at 70+ % and staying in the upper 40s and 50s for a lot of the run and then dropping off fast. So I didn't get as much tails ended up with about 45% low wines. Added a bit of water before the spirit run and still had good flavor in the rum.
DunderBlunder
Novice

Post by DunderBlunder »

Hi guys thanks for the reply!
Awesome glad to know that I haven't completely ruined it.
I will do as you both suggested and combine both low wines.
I will also run it nice and low into the tails and aim for your 10% recommendation subbrew.

P.s SBB I have been enjoying reading all your posts cheers for sharing all your knowledge!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Another option is to put the low wines into the receiver and strip the next wash/s until the receiver ABV is down to around 25-30%, but that could take a while and use a lot of fuel, electricity and time. A cheaper option would be to add fresh wash to get the desired ABV for the spirit run.

Watching ABV at the spout often causes newbies to make the mistake of shutting down too early, including when they use numbers they found on YouTube and forums.

Tails are the late jars that you didn't choose to include in your heart cut when doing a spirit run. Don't confuse them with late take from a stripping run. At the end of a stripping run, you shut the still down.
DunderBlunder
Novice

Post by DunderBlunder »

Cheers nzchris,

Watching at the spout was definitely the trap I fell into, but I guess I won't learn without some mistakes! Hopefully I just don't repeat them!

I will post up on here how I go with the next batch, hopefully I can get it done this weekend.

Thanks.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

I strip into a large demi, I put the alcometer into the receptacle. I know roughly by volume based on previous runs where I am at, but the meter in the total strip volume helps when I'm running a new recipe :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Sporacle wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:35 pm I strip into a large demi....
After realizing that I needed to be watching Low Wines ABV rather than ABV at the spout, I kept an eye out for a suitable receiver. I found one in a charity shop for a few dollars, a large glass vase with straight sides. I calibrated it with scales and water. It is the perfect receiver for stripping.
DunderBlunder
Novice

Post by DunderBlunder »

great tip,

I have a 3 L demi but i guess i will have to keep an eye out for something a bit better.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

NZChris wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:54 pm
Sporacle wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:35 pm I strip into a large demi....
After realizing that I needed to be watching Low Wines ABV rather than ABV at the spout, I kept an eye out for a suitable receiver. I found one in a charity shop for a few dollars, a large glass vase with straight sides. I calibrated it with scales and water. It is the perfect receiver for stripping.
Good idea, will be keeping an eye out for one myself 👍
DunderBlunder
Novice

Post by DunderBlunder »

So I ran the second wash through on the weekend and mixed together both of the low wines.
I now have roughly 10l @ 46%.
I was curious to see just how low I could go so kept the still running, I ended up with a jar that smelt pretty nice but had a strong yellow/brown tinge to the liquid. It's Abv was around 10% (the jar I was using blurred the numbers on the alcometer.)

Is there any use for this coloured great smelling liquid? Or did I just boil up the dunder for no real reason?

Thanks again.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Tip it in with the rest.
DunderBlunder
Novice

Post by DunderBlunder »

Will do!