Question about feed grade molasses

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

River Rat
Swill Maker

Re: Question about feed grade molasses

Post by River Rat »

Glad to hear it turned out well for you. Hopefully I'll get a chance to start my wash in the next week or so. I'm curious to see if I get the floating sludge too. I really don't want to pay shipping for the good stuff either if it can be avoided.
Plain ole pot rig.
Hillbillymike
Novice

Post by Hillbillymike »

Stoutone did you ever try the deer feed molasses? Did you get it at TSC called Evolve? Its listed as pure cain molasses but has preservatives. Was thinking about grabbing it myself, so was wondering if you tried it.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Hillbillymike wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:58 pm Stoutone did you ever try the deer feed molasses? Did you get it at TSC called Evolve? Its listed as pure cain molasses but has preservatives. Was thinking about grabbing it myself, so was wondering if you tried it.
I’ve used it. 82 brix, so it has a lot of sugar potential.

But is also has a lot of oils. So, I’d recommend using not more than 1/2 gallon per 5 gallon ferment and supplement with sugar if you need more fermentables. But I don’t think you will.

Make a healthy starter rather than pitching dry yeast into the high gravity must. The yeast will do better and finish dryer for you. Also, because of the oils in the molly, it will foam heavily when beginning the ferment.

I had to triple distill the rum I made from the “deer lick” molly to get it to where I could drink it. Still, the molasses flavor was HUGE. And I even used the reflux column for the spirit run, taking the purity up to 190 proof.

In conclusion, the preservatives did not inhibit fermentation at all. But again, I made a yeast starter. Good luck.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hillbillymike
Novice

Post by Hillbillymike »

still_stirrin wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:01 pm
Hillbillymike wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:58 pm Stoutone did you ever try the deer feed molasses? Did you get it at TSC called Evolve? Its listed as pure cain molasses but has preservatives. Was thinking about grabbing it myself, so was wondering if you tried it.
I’ve used it. 82 brix, so it has a lot of sugar potential.

But is also has a lot of oils. So, I’d recommend using not more than 1/2 gallon per 5 gallon ferment and supplement with sugar if you need more fermentables. But I don’t think you will.

Make a healthy starter rather than pitching dry yeast into the high gravity must. The yeast will do better and finish dryer for you. Also, because of the oils in the molly, it will foam heavily when beginning the ferment.

I had to triple distill the rum I made from the “deer lick” molly to get it to where I could drink it. Still, the molasses flavor was HUGE. And I even used the reflux column for the spirit run, taking the purity up to 190 proof.

In conclusion, the preservatives did not inhibit fermentation at all. But again, I made a yeast starter. Good luck.
ss
How did you start your yeast? I usually take a little of the wash and pitch the yeast shake it up good in a separate container wait till it goes to work then ad to the wash.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Hillbillymike wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:15 pm How did you start your yeast?
First, rehydrate dry yeast in a jar of warm water only, no sugar. The dry cell walls are fragile and if you put the yeast into a high sugar concentration, it can cause the cells to explode due to the osmotic pressure. The water will fill the cell and soften the brittle (dry) cell walls. This rehydration process takes only 20 to 30 minutes.

While the yeast is “coming back to life”, make a small sugar wash (a cup or two is enough) with an O.G. 1.030 to 1.040. If you heat the wash, it will help the sugar to dissolve better. But be sure to cool it to 100*F, or there about before adding the yeast.

Next, add the rehydrated yeast to the starter jar, gently mixing it (does not need to be vigorously stirred). Cover or use a stopper and airlock and set aside until your rum must is ready to pitch yeast. The starter will increase the cell count and generate more young, healthy cells getting ready for the molasses must.

When your rum must is ready, oxygenation will help the fermentation to start quickly. You can inject O2 (best) or stir vigorously with a paint stirrer (OK). Then, add the yeast starter and cover or add an airlock. Activity will start quickly, sometimes in an hour or two. And be prepared for the foaming, as it is quite messy if blows out of your fermenter.
ss
Hillbillymike
Novice

Post by Hillbillymike »

Thanks! Ive been doing it a little wrong, always willing to learn thanks. Always use to do it the old way and just pitch the yeast in the fermenter and let her rock. The back woods way is a little less refined. :D I have a couple products fermenting now that i hydrated the yeast before i pitched.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

That looks like a product sold through a chain store in Canada. I read the label in the store and chose corn instead.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Dancing4dan wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:09 am That looks like a product sold through a chain store in Canada. I read the label in the store and chose corn instead.
This is “the stuff”. It’s a syrupy liquid. About $15USD per gallon.
|
|
|
“deer lick” Molasses
“deer lick” Molasses
it may lok like this
it may lok like this

It is definitely fermentable, but very “full flavored”.
ss
Hillbillymike
Novice

Post by Hillbillymike »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:17 am
Dancing4dan wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:09 am That looks like a product sold through a chain store in Canada. I read the label in the store and chose corn instead.
This is “the stuff”. It’s a syrupy liquid. About $15USD per gallon.
|
|
|
77F23A99-1D3F-4729-97FC-14FE65934287.jpeg 5A7E0AFF-A007-4F92-99BE-40F1CBD5F46C.jpeg

It is definitely fermentable, but very “full flavored”.
ss
Yup thats the stuff. I'm gonna take it and a scratch grain and make a sweat feed whiskey. Probably try a Rum when the weather warms up.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Hillbillymike wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:07 amYup thats the stuff. I'm gonna take it and a scratch grain and make a sweat feed whiskey. Probably try a Rum when the weather warms up.
Well, that’s outside of my experience, “sweetfeed” that is. I’d recommend going easy on the deer lick molly when making your grist. I don’t know how the oils in the molly will interact with the corn oils in your mixture.

But, good luck with it.
ss
BourbonStreet
Swill Maker

Post by BourbonStreet »

I recently found a gallon of the Evolved molasses I had left in a closet. I’ve done a few runs with it, and it works well for me. I made a quasi-Pugirum with it, but didn’t have brown sugar. I mixed some white sugar with a little table molasses, some epsom salt, DAP, and starter. I used Lavlin D-47 yeast, and it’s happily bubbling, but not foaming.