Infinity Bottle!

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

distiller_dresden
Trainee

Infinity Bottle!

Post by distiller_dresden »

My friends I have learned lately of the 'infinity bottle' of a specific liquor genre. It involves adding the last bits or parts of bottles you have around, or making a start on one with a larger part of some of your favorites, and then topping it off from time to time. I thought I would introduce this here because last night I made one and it's, hands down, the best rum I've ever had.

I made an infinity bottle in a 32oz maple syrup bottle I had laying around (conveniently with a teaspoon of maple syrup left in the bottom - which stayed). Here’s what I mixed, after I’ll post results and notes, which I’m drinking now, and F waiting to taste it — this shit is GOOD, best rum I’ve ever had:

Appleton Signature, Appleton Reserve, Rum Bar Gold (Worthy Park), Rum Bar Single Estate Reserve, El Dorado 12 year, Pampero Anniversario Reserva Exclusiva, Worthy Park Zinfandel Cask, Stolen Overproof (Hampdens), Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, Flor de Cana 18, Smith n Cross Navy, Zacapa Solera 23.

I used 4oz of El Dorado, Zinfandel Cask, Diplomatico, and Rum Bar Reserve, 2oz of everything else.

I can’t wait to let it sit and settle, because right now it is heaven. Caramel, oak, vanilla, bitters, custard, cola, raisins, banana, cherry Ludens cough drops, black and gold treacle, even some Jamaican-type funk on the finish -- it’s simply glorious and what I’d make in a lab were I to make a rum of my dreams for like $500 a bottle.

I'll post an update as this bottle ages itself off and flavors blend and settle; I am quite extremely looking forward to tonight's dram!

Try this and share your 'build'!!
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Re: Infinity Bottle!

Post by ydoih8u »

Def a good way to prevent oxidation and have interesting pours. I keep two for Scotch and Bourbon.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I started an infinity BadMo and told myself I can only drink a little... Every time I make a new batch or even as a batch comes of age I'm allowed to harvest a small bit from the infinity then top it up.. Three or four bottles per harvest?

Anyone else do this?

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
tommysb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tommysb »

My Dad does something like this at his brewery. He does a lot of barrel-aged and sour beers,. and has one barrel called 'the magic barrel'. A bit of everything just gets added to it. I haven't managed to visit since COVID times, but I can imagine the result is also rather special.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Interesting idea. I take all the odds and bits left over and mix them together. It has included anything that there is on hand. From wine to peppermint schnapps. The only thing that gets rejected is a wine that smells a little musty / moldy.

Then I do a spirit run. Has made some very good whisky (?) after sitting on oak.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Dancing4dan wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:18 pm Interesting idea. I take all the odds and bits left over and mix them together. It has included anything that there is on hand. From wine to peppermint schnapps. The only thing that gets rejected is a wine that smells a little musty / moldy.

Then I do a spirit run. Has made some very good whisky (?) after sitting on oak.
Sounds like the trash we used to drink in college. Everyone brought something and dumped it in the can. I get shudders just thinking of it now. but, perhaps distilled?

The infinity bottle sounds very much like a solera where you take some from a barrel and fill it back up so you have a blend that evolves over the years with some molecules being from the first fill and others from each topping up after that.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I’ve had one for many years, 5l bottle, never more than 2/3rds full to allow for O2 in the headspace, used oak staves in it. Only good product goes in it, 38-40% so that it’s ready to drink.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

subbrew wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:27 pm
Dancing4dan wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:18 pm Interesting idea. I take all the odds and bits left over and mix them together. It has included anything that there is on hand. From wine to peppermint schnapps. The only thing that gets rejected is a wine that smells a little musty / moldy.

Sounds like the trash we used to drink in college. Everyone brought something and dumped it in the can. I get shudders just thinking of it now. but, perhaps distilled?

The infinity bottle sounds very much like a solera where you take some from a barrel and fill it back up so you have a blend that evolves over the years with some molecules being from the first fill and others from each topping up after that.
LOL we called that Yuk A Flux or vomit comet. Different when distilled.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!