Rum Molasses Wash Fermentation Questions

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

michaelsh1993
Novice

Rum Molasses Wash Fermentation Questions

Post by michaelsh1993 »

Hi All,

I am new to distilling and have a few questions regarding my current wash and what i should be expecting.
I followed a milehighdistilling rum recipe which i followed (30L wash) and noticed my rum yeast was a max 25L so dropped 5L.

The recipe i followed was:
6.5 Gallons of Water
1 Gallon of BlackStrap Molasses
8 Pounds of Raw Cane Sugar

Added the yeast at 29 Celsius. (Still Spirits Rum Yeast)

Everything was going fine for the first 3 days, was getting lots of activity in the airlock.
As of yesterday (5th day) there is no more activity in the airlock, apparently a rum molasses wash takes between 1-2 weeks so i feel like it may have stalled?
There is no signs of any foam or solids in the fermenter (this was described to me as something that should be occuring) and smells like wine / is fairly clear)
i took a reading with the hydrometer yesterday 1.26 SG

Does anyone have any ideas?
NJen
Swill Maker

Re: Rum Molasses Wash Fermentation Questions

Post by NJen »

Is the wash itself still "bubbling" and "fizzy", or is it completely still? My washes generally slow down like crazy right around the 1.020 mark, and the last .02 takes usually another 2-4 more days.

Give it a little time, it's probably just slowed down. Seems to be pretty common. Has happened on all but 3 of my rum washes over the last 8-ish months.
michaelsh1993
Novice

Post by michaelsh1993 »

Thanks!

Yes its still very fizzy, i dont know the quality of the molasses so this has been my only concern, it was in unlabeled containers from a stock feed supplier.
NJen
Swill Maker

Post by NJen »

michaelsh1993 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:26 pm Thanks!

Yes its still very fizzy, i dont know the quality of the molasses so this has been my only concern, it was in unlabeled containers from a stock feed supplier.
Yep, likely just slowed down to finish eating the last of the more complex sugars. Give it a few more days and check your SG again, it'll likely be right on or close to your mark.

As to the molasses, that's how I get mine too. Been using it for months, all I know for sure about it is it's un-sulphered, lol. The amish around here sell it for feed stock at a reasonable price, so it's what I have been using. Smells like "WHOPPERS" malted milk balls candy. Not super sweet on the tongue, but it gives a nice flavor profile to my rum. I haven't given it a true and proper testing on its own, but I'd figure it's somewhere around 30% fermentable sugars.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Taste it, if there is no sweetness, it is done. 1.026 is pretty much as low as you will get with molasses. Run it.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
michaelsh1993
Novice

Post by michaelsh1993 »

thanks guys! will follow your advice
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Rum washes are sometimes done in 4 days......taste it...if its sweet its not done......if its dry and sour tasting its ready to go. Look for movement on the surface as well.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Let us know how it turns out for you.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Hannibbl
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hannibbl »

I have a 21 gal batch fermenting right now. It’s super fuzzy but there is some major liquid movement. It hasn’t been disturbed in a few days and it’s swirling like I just finished stirring it. Going to give it until the end of the week I think and see if it settles.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

michaelsh1993 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:16 pm Hi All,
.... noticed my rum yeast was a max 25L so dropped 5L.
A. Look at SBB's All Molasses recipe in T&T for tips viewtopic.php?f=14&t=71293
(I see he/she/they have already responded in the above) and
B. The yeast go into the wash and multiply as they eat the sugars so your "25l" yeast packet should have well accommodated a 30l wash. Don't fall for that marketing speil. To be foolproof, just rehydrate your wash with a little sugar (maybe a pinch of flour) and let it multiply before you add it to your wash to make sure it is active and breeding away.

My 2c worth
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....