What is “Good” rum?

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: What is “Good” rum?

Post by acfixer69 »

kiwi Bruce wrote:
Twisted Brick wrote:What does Warning Level 2 mean?
At the bottom of your "User Control Panel" is a tab titled "Warning Level" it tells the user if/or how many time the site mod's have had to give you a warning...(one of the Mod's can correct me if I'm wrong here) I think you can go to five warnings...there is no sixth...your excommunicated.

Things that can get you "flagged" ...if you don't respect the forum rules...LIKE, being a total sti# to other forum members etc...OH and stealing/hijacking a thread...just like this...GOOD BYE :crazy:
Only see 2 and 3 is MIA but I'm just looking at the stat's.

Now back on topic please
Titus-a-fishus
Swill Maker

Post by Titus-a-fishus »

GCB3
Your OP question.
My answers are,
- More expensive commercial rums, but who has the money to go through them?
- A good recipe or 3 from the forum and time.
- Whatever tickles your taste buds. :thumbup:
- Anything that isn't Bundaberg rum (just to stir yummyrum) :ebiggrin:
Actually small barrel Bundy is quite nice.
We haven't got the money so now we have to think
Build it, don't buy it
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

kiwi Bruce wrote:
Twisted Brick wrote:What does Warning Level 2 mean?
At the bottom of your "User Control Panel" is a tab titled "Warning Level" it tells the user if/or how many time the site mod's have had to give you a warning...(one of the Mod's can correct me if I'm wrong here) I think you can go to five warnings...there is no sixth...your excommunicated.

Things that can get you "flagged" ...if you don't respect the forum rules...LIKE, being a total sti# to other forum members etc...OH and stealing/hijacking a thread...just like this...GOOD BYE :crazy:
I couldn't find that 'warning' tab, so maybe I haven't had any warnings?
There was a pretty severe slap on the wrist once though...

Geoff
The Baker
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Titus - :lol: :lol: :lol:
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

GCB3 wrote:OtisT has a good post on toasting here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67274&p=7508710&hil ... e#p7508710

To keep from going off-topic :wtf: I posted a toasting question on that thread.
But after reading this thread I was wondering about the effect of nuclear aging on rum.
Being a noob don't think I'd want to wait one or two years to try a "finished" product.
Anyone explored that possibility?
:mrgreen:
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

TDick wrote:
GCB3 wrote:OtisT has a good post on toasting here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67274&p=7508710&hil ... e#p7508710

To keep from going off-topic :wtf: I posted a toasting question on that thread.
But after reading this thread I was wondering about the effect of nuclear aging on rum.
Being a noob don't think I'd want to wait one or two years to try a "finished" product.
Anyone explored that possibility?
I like my rum white. Just make a good rum and take conservative cuts.

Its hard to rush oak. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

OtisT wrote: I like my rum white. Just make a good rum and take conservative cuts.
Interesting take.
I rarely drink rum. at least not in a long time.
But I went browsing at the ABC store a few months ago and got some sample miniatures just to taste.
One was a white "Cane Run", mediocre at best I assume. But just to sip and thought it was pretty smooth as is.
I ASSuME that reasonably done white hearts would be on par.
How long do you air your white?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

kiwi Bruce wrote:Here is the link to T Pee's post on "Oaking and Aging"...viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50348
T Pee's Toasting Chart.jpg
Yes. So my preferred taste is "acrid"... :problem: But generally the graphic is right. But I would replace the stated scale 200 - 520F with "light toast - dark toast". Or perhaps a color scale.
Anyway, this thread is a must read. All pages.
VLAGAVULVIN wrote:I would say, the proof matters, too.
Yes, it's quite simple: Some taste compounds are better soluble in water than in alcohol, other compounds otherwise. So a low barrel abv tastes sweet but boring, a high barrel abv spicy but dry. For example vanilla is better soluble in ethanol, caramel better soluble in water.
But of course you can get only what is in the wood. A stick low in vanilla will never give your spirit a strong vanilla note, even if you barrel at 90%abv.
I think we are off-topic now. Perhaps we should stop collecting all our wisdom about oak into a thread about mashing, distilling and perhaps spicing Rum.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Try this, TDick:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38991
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

der wo wrote: I think we are off-topic now. Perhaps we should stop collecting all our wisdom about oak into a thread about mashing, distilling and perhaps spicing Rum.
Let's revert to the on-topic then :ewink:

I never added any refined sugar to my molasses during the fermentation. But I see no crime in adding some fructose or Billington's dark muscovado while finishing my light or dark versions, accordingly.

I know my 'pro', what's your guys 'contra' now?..

Hoping not to get the sh!tty storm on the above,
VV :shifty:

har druckit för mycket
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Pampero is pretty darn amazing stuff and in my top picks , I would go as far as to say under priced and under valued. My rum is quite a different style and nice but I would be happy to emulate their gear.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

TDick wrote:
OtisT wrote: I like my rum white. Just make a good rum and take conservative cuts.
How long do you air your white?
The one I am enjoying now aired 3+ days before I made cuts, and another 2+ after. I did both a small conservative heads only cut (took just a liter from this) and a wider barrel cut. The white cut is super clean and does not even have much rumminess to it. Way more neutral than I would have thought and very smooth. I also reserved a liter of the barrel cut that did not go in the barrel. That drop is full of fruit, floral, molasses, spice, and more. Acknowledging the rough edges and all that will come off with a little time on oak, I actually prefer the barrel cut white over the hearts only white cut for sippin.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote:I never added any refined sugar to my molasses during the fermentation.
White sugar has several advantages in the hobby...it's a cheap substrate, it adds little or no flavor, it's totally fermentable BUT...and this can be a good or a bad thing...it "dries" the the mouth feel, I think it does this by reducing, or cutting the flavor of the other ingredients back significantly/proportionally to the amount used. Example :- a 100% AG or LME ( 5% smoked malt) whisky with stillage that's three times used, comes close to something you'd get from Spayside. Add 20% white sugar and the result is closer to a good lowland. (That's been my experiance)
Getting hung up all day on smiles
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

kiwi Bruce wrote:
VLAGAVULVIN wrote:I never added any refined sugar to my molasses during the fermentation.
White sugar has several advantages in the hobby...it's a cheap substrate, it adds little or no flavor, it's totally fermentable BUT...and this can be a good or a bad thing...it "dries" the the mouth feel, I think it does this by reducing, or cutting the flavor of the other ingredients back significantly/proportionally to the amount used. Example :- a 100% AG or LME ( 5% smoked malt) whisky with stillage that's three times used, comes close to something you'd get from Spayside. Add 20% white sugar and the result is closer to a good lowland. (That's been my experiance)
I do agree with every single word of the above.

But I add abt. 5g/l of fructose or dark muscovado to my ready-for-sipping 40%AbV aged rum distillates. Is it bad, guys? Why?

har druckit för mycket
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Hey TDick. (Not much of a Final Four for us ACC/SEC fans, is it?, Geez.......)

I didn’t read your post closely enough. I didn’t catch the exclusively rum question on nuking. So, I just ran my 1st stage nuking and its cooling now. I took 65ABV hearts cut from an all Panela wash, run through a reflux column. It has been sitting in glass on charred oak for 3 weeks. So, it started out with a little color and some of the edge softened, but, I still wouldn’t serve it to “good” friends. :ewink:

Unfortunately, I got it a little hotter than prescribed. In my microwave, it took 4 minutes to get a qt. of water to 152 *F. I did that 4 times to be sure. When I put the wood and juice in there, it came out 4 minutes later at 172*F. I may have just made a nice contribution to the Angles on Easter Sunday! So, I’ll cut back on time for phase 2.

No matter how much I read from the other thread, I kind of gives you a “tight one” putting this in the microwave! I’ll report back on how it treats rum after two more tries.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

“Angels”, not angles. Damn spellcheck!
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote:But I add abt. 5g/l of fructose or dark muscovado to my ready-for-sipping 40%AbV aged rum distillates. Is it bad, guys? Why?
I wouldn't do it. But it's up to your taste. 5g/l is a low amount. Something you would also get with a first fill sherry cask aging. There are Rums with ten times sugar. For example Diplomatico Reserve has 44g/l. Zacapa XO 26g/l.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

der wo wrote:
VLAGAVULVIN wrote:But I add abt. 5g/l of fructose or dark muscovado to my ready-for-sipping 40%AbV aged rum distillates. Is it bad, guys? Why?
I wouldn't do it. But it's up to your taste. 5g/l is a low amount. Something you would also get with a first fill sherry cask aging. There are Rums with ten times sugar. For example Diplomatico Reserve has 44g/l. Zacapa XO 26g/l.
All I can get is a sherry chip (if I sink it after toasting in some sherry for a month) :ewink:

And my rum after 6 months of this chips-aging is not so sweet, alas!.. :problem:

Besides, my wife would like to get somewhat lightest sourness in her rum... any ideas, folks?

har druckit för mycket
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

GCB3 wrote:Hey TDick. (Not much of a Final Four for us ACC/SEC fans, is it?, Geez.......)
Actually I HAD to pull for Loyola and they almost pulled it off!
sister-jean.jpg
And Villanova ended the conversation down here - me included - about, "Well if they shot THAT well Alabama wasn't playing any defense."
That after the "experts" were talking about how hard it is to shoot in a football stadium.
What an ass kicking THAT was!
GCB3 wrote: Unfortunately, I got it a little hotter than prescribed. In my microwave, it took 4 minutes to get a qt. of water to 152 *F. I did that 4 times to be sure. When I put the wood and juice in there, it came out 4 minutes later at 172*F. I may have just made a nice contribution to the Angles on Easter Sunday! So, I’ll cut back on time for phase 2.

No matter how much I read from the other thread, I kind of gives you a “tight one” putting this in the microwave! I’ll report back on how it treats rum after two more tries.
Can't wait to hear!
Last time I nuked I did it 60 seconds at a time and checked temp.
And I DID stand to the side JUST IN CASE!
:lol:
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

der wo wrote: 5g/l is a low amount. There are Rums with ten times sugar. For example Diplomatico Reserve has 44g/l. Zacapa XO 26g/l.
Der wo, you’re shaking my “beliefs” to the core!!! :lol: I had come to “believe” that I like “naturally aged” premium rums with minimal additives, particularly sugar. You may recall that Zacapa XO is one of my favorites. First I read a thread where someone listed all the “stuff” that is added to XO and now you’re actually giving grams per liter of sugar! Man, you’re killing me! :wtf: So, apparently, I’ve been living a lie! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Is all 26 grams of that additives or is some of that naturally occurring in the aging on oak and sherry casks? ( I really need to re-evaluate my belief system! :crazy: )
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Hey, TDick:
GREAT picture! If the non-b-ball fans will indulge us for one short moment, who else were you gonna pull for???? I love that Nun! The championship was decided last night, IMHO.

On nuking, after all the reading in that thread, I decided to do one heating in the hope that, just possibly, the microwaves might be causing some reaction other than just heating water molecules. I’m waiting now for the sample to cool so that I can see what I gave the Angels. I haven’t opened it yet, but, it doubled the color in one treatment.

I want to post pics. Can you tell me how you get pictures embedded so well? At first I couldn’t even get photos accepted due to size. Then I got a resizing app, but, when you resize a 2 meg iPhone photo down to 80x80, mine turns blurry. Expat was nice enough to tell me how to embed, now I just need to get them in focus. If you want to PM me to keep from hijacking this thread, I’d appreciate it.

(I’m now a Duke fan. After 30 yrs of watching the WolfPack lose, I’m done!) :lol: :lol: :lol:
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Here’s an update on nuking rum. I just got the Stage 1 sample opened. I was amazed, but the ABV was still 63% using my alcometer with temp adjustment. Sorry Angels, but, you’ll get another shot at it! :lol: So, the color is significantly darker. There is a reddish tint that was not in the original sample. It looked more like an Irish Whiskey amber.
The nose still has that new whiskey (rum) bite, but, I “think” it is diminished a little. The flavor still has that same bite, however, I noticed an completely new “floral” flavor that wasn’t in the original sample. I’m not sure it’s a “rum” flavor, but, it was not objectionable.

I put the cloth over the jar and cut the time back to 3 minutes and gave it the 2nd nuke. Well damn, it came out at 169*F. My interpolation skills are not very good! So, I sealed it up an put it to rest for the night. I’ll start again in the morning for Phase 3.

For those of us who like details, there is one I didn’t mention. The original gallon that was aging in glass, at 63-65%, was on Jack Daniels charred barrel chips. After reading a number of posts that were less than complimentary of this aging wood, I decided to go back to mY normal applewood. So the original rum was aged for 3 weeks on JD barrel chips. For this test, I took the original rum and added unused, applewood smoking chips. Further, these were the darker samples from the bag as purchased. None were charred or toasted. I think this is the source for the reddish tint to the sample.

I’ll report back in the morning.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Well, thanks to HDNB, I may now be able to post pics. When I was trying to figure out how to add my mentor, “Homer”, to my aviator, I spent hours of frustration trying to get it down to an 80x80 image. HDNB has just helped me, hopefully, get my pics posted. (Y’all may not be all that thankful for his help! :thumbdown: )

So, here is my attempt to post pics of my “nu-clear” experience (you have to be a GA native who lived through Jimmy Carter’s Administration to understand that reference!!!!! :lol: :lol: )

So, here’s is the original sample, at 63% ABV, aged for 3 weeks on Jack Daniels, charred barrel chips with the new applewood chips andded and ready to go into the microwave.
25431C68-4B45-428D-B9A6-1BA1BBE9A232.jpeg
This second picture is of the original sample after 4 minutes of “nu-clear”manipulation (on the right) verses a sample from the original gallon on the left. All the comments are above in the previous post.
3E986E76-D607-411B-B3E1-70307301D37C.jpeg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

GCB3 wrote:From what you guys have contributed so far it sounds easy. I think I’ve figured out that if:
1. I get the right feedstocks and yeasts,
2. I perform the ferment well,
3. I do the stripping correctly,
4. Make the cuts perfectly,
5. Air it adequately,
6. Blend it correctly,
And most importantly.
7. Age it properly, (forever),
I have a decent chance of making a rum that will be OK!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: WHAT COULD GO WRONG???
My advise would be don't over think it, Rum using molasses is one of the easiest things to make, making rum that tastes exactly as you want it takes a bit more.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Oh yeah, as I’m learning! :lol: :lol: :lol:
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

der wo wrote:
44g/L is a boat load of sugar. Thanks for these details... I would normally think this was outside of an amount of sugar that could be added to a sipping alcoholic beverage.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

butterpants wrote:
der wo wrote:
44g/L is a boat load of sugar. Thanks for these details... I would normally think this was outside of an amount of sugar that could be added to a sipping alcoholic beverage.
jayzuz! i just made some rum at not much more sugar than that in the ferment!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

GCB3 wrote:
der wo wrote: 5g/l is a low amount. There are Rums with ten times sugar. For example Diplomatico Reserve has 44g/l. Zacapa XO 26g/l.
Der wo, you’re shaking my “beliefs” to the core!!! :lol: I had come to “believe” that I like “naturally aged” premium rums with minimal additives, particularly sugar. You may recall that Zacapa XO is one of my favorites. First I read a thread where someone listed all the “stuff” that is added to XO and now you’re actually giving grams per liter of sugar! Man, you’re killing me! :wtf: So, apparently, I’ve been living a lie! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Is all 26 grams of that additives or is some of that naturally occurring in the aging on oak and sherry casks? ( I really need to re-evaluate my belief system! :crazy: )
There are a few lists.
Here for example:
http://www.drecon.dk/index.php/17-list-of-rum-measured" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The one with the most sugar: A.H.Riise Royal Danish Navy Rom, 96g/l. But there are also many Rums without sugar.

Here about sugar, artificial vanillin, glycerine:
http://durhum.com/here-we-rum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Here are the two numbers I quoted.

Sugar in Whisky and some details about detecting vanillin adding in some spirits:
http://whiskyscience.blogspot.de/2016/1 ... hisky.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Here a very dark Ardbeg has 4g/l sugar. Finishing in Sherry casks (just like the Zacapa XO). An 18y Aberlour (partially sherry) only less than 2g/l. So I think 1-5g is the normal range. Zacapa is Sherry barrel finished. So probably from the 26g about 5g are from the Sherry? Of course you could "double finish" in two sherry casks in a role, then you have perhaps 10g. I suspect some relatively dark (but uncolored) and intense but young tasting no age statement sherry whiskies use such a technique (Smokehead Rock Edition for example). But Sherry casks are expensive. But it would be legal to age in one cask 1 day sherry then 1 day your whisky then 1 day sherry then 1 day the whisky again and so on. The result is the same like simply adding sherry to Whisky. But that would be illegal...
Or perhaps google the word "paxarette". A technique now forbidden for Whisky since many years. But for Rum not AFAIK.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

So the Rum industry could still use grape syrup/sherry syrup, but not the scotch industry. So I could take a cheap shi#y sherry, boil it down in a lab still/Bain Marie, toss the distillate into the faints and use the syrup in whisky and Rum...another one of those esoteric techniques we're only finding out about now...der wo that's brilliant !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Phase 2 of the rum nuking test is complete. The color continues to darken. The harshness on the nose is significantly reduced almost to the point of disappearing. The sharp edge or bite on the tongue is also reduced but not quite as much as it is on the nose. Overall, it is significantly improved. Getting ready to go back in for Phase 3.
E197F6A7-A050-4D64-B57E-74A28523E2BC.jpeg