Butter Rum

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Butter Rum

Post by Shine0n »

Duke, glad it worked out for ya and yes my mouth is still watering for that syrup lol.

To all who have done this recipe, thanks for the effort!
tgschulze
Novice

Post by tgschulze »

ShineOn, this is a great thread. I can't wait to try this.

Has anyone tried this with dark brown beet sugar instead of cane?
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Running the feints off a 40 gallon ferment
God after 2 months there good
There going all into mamajuana
Its all for the wife
SHE LOVES THE STUFF
AND SO DO I
:thumbup:
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

tgschulze wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:28 pm Has anyone tried this with dark brown beet sugar instead of cane?
My experience with beet molasses did not yield good results. Not even tight cuts and aging helped. YMMV
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Guess I found a base recipe to start this rum run on hope it works ok it'll be my last run for quite a bit
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Rum concoction is coming off nice. First gallon of strip is clear thinking I'll pull another quart depending upon my lazy ass finding my hydrometer
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Well started second strip of this rum stuff today.i have about 3 more 5 gallon strips to do before I know if I will ever make rum again. The process is pretty much a ujssm style without any corn I can tell the molasses is there I guess that is making the difference I'm hoping to draw enough for 2 gallon spirits in the end. One for aging and one for leaving white,either way,itll be likker in the bank
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Well spirit run is gonna happen when the kids leave today.5 gallons low wines in the pot with some of the backset.got ice bottles and bag ice for the condenser and a few monsters for me. Now the decision of do I use fresh charred oak or pull some off an aging spirit and use it.either way I still need clove and rasin for the oak aged gallon
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I like used oak for rum, French is my favorite. American oak when fresh can overpower rum.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I've already found some scotch used oak and toasted it at 420f for 3 hours and its AMAZING on the nose.on the spirit run I'm getting a shortbread or gingerbread taste in the whole run so far (I sample a small bit right off the pipe) never done rum is that the molasses? Anyhow everything is in place now just waiting on the final portion to run off then collect tails and dilute and age(half) my likker cabinet grows
Chill-Stillin
Novice

Post by Chill-Stillin »

Was wondering if anyone had tried the butter treatment on an all panela wash? I tried 3 times and did not manage to get that in your face butter smell, though it definitely had an improved effect on the smell, slight hints of butter? I may have been constrained by my methods as I use gas and could only bring it to 135f shut the gas and wrapped the boiler many times with blankets and the next day run it. I am not giving up yet!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I reckon Ima make 50 gal ferment next weekend after the HBB is finished stripping and squeezed.

I still have some aged dunder from 2017 that was sterilized and sealed. Figure 15% total volume will do for some nice flavors and will add 20% to final spirit run for some complexity and funk.

Been holding onto my last 10 gal of molasses for 2 years now and im tired of looking at it in the barn lol.

Same protocol as my original butter rum but now with some funky twist...I'm seriously looking forward to this.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Definately going to give this a go. Will try it with kveik hornidal to see what happens :thumbup:
Eclecticon
Novice

Post by Eclecticon »

I'm trying this method with a heavy butyric acid muck and kveik hornindal, fermentation is in week 2, sugar is being added in doses to prevent an sg that is too high. Fermentation will end in 3-4 weeks. I know it's not the recipe but I want to know if it will work.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

The recipe gives good results that's why it's a t&t recipe as for what you're doing I cant tell you I've never added to an already fermenting ferment
Eclecticon
Novice

Post by Eclecticon »

Normally my recipe turns out to be a high ester nice rum, but I want to know if this method adds anything. Will post the review.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Shine0n wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:59 pm I reckon Ima make 50 gal ferment next weekend after the HBB is finished stripping and squeezed.

I still have some aged dunder from 2017 that was sterilized and sealed. Figure 15% total volume will do for some nice flavors and will add 20% to final spirit run for some complexity and funk.

Been holding onto my last 10 gal of molasses for 2 years now and im tired of looking at it in the barn lol.

Same protocol as my original butter rum but now with some funky twist...I'm seriously looking forward to this.
Hi ShineOn. How is this progressing? I’ve very interested in hearing about how this one turns out. :D
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

So sorry for the late response, work and family has taken over full time lol

My works with the butter rum is still solid the original way. I am getting repeated results and loving every moment when I do so.
Have you done this? I have also been experimenting with HBB with this process, while the HBB is there the buttery flavor is quite more prominent than the honey(ish) flavor of the shines original. I do make alot of flavored drinks with it for the non shine folk lol.

I have also found with the hot months that you cn just leave the mash longer in the fermenter and get the same results.

Hope all is well my brother
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hi ShineOn. Yes, all is well here. I have done the butter treatment before but it’s been a few years. That was back when I way playing a lot with esterification, acids, infected pits, etc. I did get some buttery whiskey, but I didn’t really like butter in my whiskey or the other flavors I was making with all the muck so I stopped trying to funk up my AGs. I’ve been making cleaner spirits more recently, trying not to create extra smells and flavors.

I have been sitting on a little molasses I want to use up (and some panela) so I’m gonna make two batches of panela/molasses rum with dunder (no infections) and thinking of buttering one of those two batches.

I have a question about your process that is not clear to me. Is your butter treatment done on the strip or spirit run? If done on the spirit run, does it only work with dunder added to the spirit run charge, or will the spirit run charge of low wines get buttered up on its own with the pre warmup process and no additional dunder?

Otis
Pfretzschner
Novice

Post by Pfretzschner »

Hey Shine-on,,, it's been a while. I've been using your buttering process for the last several years with remarkable success. I can't make Rum any other way now. You're right about leaving it ferment longer. When I do this and still do the pre-heat, the place smell like I'm baking cakes and cookies. :P I have tried it when making a fresh fruit, like mangos, Rum, and the results have been disappointing. There is a little of the nose and mouth feel but not nearly as predominant as the straight Rum. Just thought I'd let you know that I'm more than pleased with this process and have to again thank you. It's changed my whole way of making Rums,,,, which is mainly all I do any more.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Pfretzschner wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:59 pmYou're right about leaving it ferment longer. When I do this and still do the pre-heat, the place smell like I'm baking cakes and cookies.
How much longer is longer? The original recipe just says ‘until done’.

I’ll probably run my first one about as quickly as it stops bubbling and dropping in gravity but it’s always nice to have something in the back of your mind for when you know you’ll be too busy to distill right away.

Thanks!
Pfretzschner
Novice

Post by Pfretzschner »

TwoSheds,,,, The best run so far,,,, I let the wash work for about 3 weeks. It stayed at about 82 degrees and after about 10 days I thought it still had a lot of sugar and the Brix was at 12. So I gave it a shot of bread yeast to make it more active and let it sit for 10 more days,, and the Brix dropped to 5. When I did the preheat and it had a buttery nose but when I ran it the whole place smelled like I was baking cookies.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Thanks. One more variable to play with!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

TwoSheds wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:56 pm How much longer is longer? The original recipe just says ‘until done’.
The longest I've seen from a commercial distillery is six days after the ferment goes dead. The rums I've made using that method are still relatively young but are coming good already. The four and a half year old Bundaberg molasses rum I sampled tonight is very good. It wasn't great hot off the still and for a couple of years after.
Pfretzschner
Novice

Post by Pfretzschner »

TwoSheds wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:29 pm Thanks. One more variable to play with!
I didn't mention that I started the wash with a 50/50 combination of ec1118 and Fleishman's Bread Yeast. I also put a small seashell in every wash and the calcium in it seems to helps regulate the PH level. This was passed on by an old shiner I know and it works for me. Good Luck,,, pls post the outcome.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I’m buttering up my rum now. Getting close to 135f

Panela and blackstrap, 20% dunder added to the kettle for the buttering. Otis
hammer
Novice

Post by hammer »

I did buttered rum last summer. Put almost 20 gallons in glass.
In February, I put the first 5 gallons into a used barrel that had bourbon in it last.
First few months were a little rough smelling, but after 7 months so far, it is really starting to smell like something special!
Can't wait to taste some of this. If it tastes half as good as it smells, it will be a great sippin drink!
I wanted to wait on the first barrel and see the results before I committed the remaining 15 gallons into these barrels.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Coming up on a year since last post. Was thinking about trying this process on a current ferment. Anyone doing this consistently or was it just a “phase”? What’s the verdict?
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Dougmatt wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:48 pm Coming up on a year since last post. Was thinking about trying this process on a current ferment. Anyone doing this consistently or was it just a “phase”? What’s the verdict?
Heck yes. Your post reminded me it’s time for some proofing and bottling. I buttered two batchs of a panela/molasses rum a year ago and filled two small barrels. I just proofed my American oak barrel and will soon bottle about 3/4 gallon of 45% rum. I opened the small Badmo style barrel and was getting all my proofing gear together when a breeze brought me a big whiff of buttery sweet smell the the barrel airing.

I aged it in a slightly used 1 gallon sized Badmo style barrel that had been filled previously with rum for 1.5 years. Toasted American White oak. The butter and toast together almost have a butterscotch smell. The taste nice too.

Otis
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Thanks Otis. Based on that, I’ve got a 10 gallon test wash of a new Panela / moly recipe that I will try this on half of then. Trying to get a recipe right then fill a barrel. Ultimately if I keep going, the barrel will likely be a blend of a bunch of recipes and techniques that I may never be able to replicate…
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!