I made the tastiest rum yet !

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

esxman
Novice

I made the tastiest rum yet !

Post by esxman »

Just my three pennyworth from an old timer :-
My other hobbies are ice-cream making and cooking , this is where my interest in rum stems from . I use rum to make rum and raisin , the best tasting ice-cream there is , and rum babas , fresh double cream and a cherry on top!, just for friends and family.
I had been making bitter orange marmalade from neranji or seville oranges , (Brits call it Oxford marmalade) and with molasses and black sugar . Stepped out for 2 minutes and the peels got slightly burnt,so not wishing to waste a potful of sugars and fruit , I dumped it into my rum wash , together with a jar of honey that had turned sugary .Result, this white rum from my pot still was really tasty ,real fruity notes, and I was looking to turn it into a spiced black rum , and came across an old naval recipe ,and one ingredient I have never seen listed in recipes is spanish wood , or liquorice root,or sweetroot, so I tried it in the last batch .Wow what a great tasting and smelling rum it makes , included with the usual suspects cardamom,cinnamon,coriander,nutmeg,clove,ginger,lime orange lemon zest . it comes in coarsely chopped form, ideal for steeping , and the colour produced is amazing, a real dark red black .Go easy on it , wiki says it can raise your b.p.!
Distilling is like cooking, no two ovens function the same ,lots of variables in the whole process, and everyone's tastes are slightly different , but do try the liquorice next time in your spiced rum regards esxman
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: I made the tastiest rum yet !

Post by Shine0n »

Sounds interesting, although I don't do spiced rums (Bad night years ago) I have been thinking of ways to make some "different" styles for my friends who do still drink them.
I may use bits and pieces from ur recipe or all who knows, I'll start with a quart and record the findings and ifn it's not good I'll just dump it in the thumper on the next go round.
Glad to see success for ya, keep on gettin on :thumbup:
esxman
Novice

Re: I made the tastiest rum yet !

Post by esxman »

ShineOn

I could tell you , in my youth rum and blackcurrant was the in drink ..... to get on the last bus home ..upstairs with the smokers ... and everyone on the rum and blackcurrant , was enough to turn me off for life..
but now in my dotage , rum is a more refined drink , its a sipper , not a gulper . I cant say I love the stuff per se , my tipple is anything with anise in it , but rum is making a comeback .I do so love it , not as a drink , but more as an inclusion for my ice cream and cakes