First Rum run

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

rickyaifd
Novice

First Rum run

Post by rickyaifd »

If I am starting a Rum Run... What do I use in place of Dunder or back set when I'm doing my very first batch? I've looked at you required readings as well as the rum thread and haven't yet seen any suggestion about what to use in place of Dunder for the very first run.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Re: First Rum run

Post by SaltyStaves »

When starting anything that you want backset/dunder for, the simplest thing to do is run a small batch and then use it to build your standard sized fermentation.

Just to be clear, you don't need dunder, or to replace it with anything (if that was a point of confusion).
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

rickyaifd wrote:What do I use in place of Dunder or back set when I'm doing my very first batch?
I presume you mean what do you put in your wash to make it up to the volume it would be with dunder or backset ?....simple you use extra water.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Yup ....what the Salty's said . .... although it was slighly confussing . One said you don't have to add anything , the other said make up with water .... either will work IMO

Lack of Dunder will not be the undoing of your Rum .
If you are really worried , strip the first batch , and use the Dunder to start the next batch .Most of us do a few strips and combine them for a Final spirit Run . The addition of the first strip not having been made with Dunder will pale into insignificance when you combine several strips .
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Good advice so far :thumbup:

There are many rums that don't use dunder or really need it to be a good rum.
Some folks use dunder with a spirit run instead of in the wash, I've used up to 25% in a spirit run but that is a style of rum I want because of its funkyness. May be wrong for you and what you're looking for but I'll suggest to strip a few runs down low and dirty and do a spirit run and see if it's something of what you like then start playing with dunder and different ways to incorporate it into your rum.

Shine0n