my first " GUDI_RUM"

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

zio_gessi
Novice

my first " GUDI_RUM"

Post by zio_gessi »

hi guys, after reading hundreds of post (one month or more) i finally start my rum experiment !!!
to be honest i had....no i still have a lot of confusion because too much information , too much !!!

...so i said to myself: start !! IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO REALLY LEARN ABOUT IT

I want make dark rum , strong flavoured rum so i 'm oriented to pugirum recipe and bucaneerbob recipe i.e. all dunder use recipes.
it will be a very bastard pugirum or better say a medley of pugi-bucaneerbob-all the forum recipes...

the day before Yesterday, time 20.30 i started "mashing" :
5 lt cane molasses
4 kg cane sugar
7 kg withe sugar (rugular kitchen sugar)
60 g bread yeast for nutrient
100 g bread-pizza yeast for fermentation
2 lime (juice) and some citric acid (few grams)
+/- 90 lt water from mountain fount

i heat up to 50°/ 60° C 20 lt of water and i melted the molasses ( i used my "little" copper potstill like a pot )
little potstill
little potstill
hot water molasses mix
hot water molasses mix

i heat up another 20 / 25 lt of water and i melted the sugar, two times.

i then puored the rest of the water , the lime juice and the citric acid in to the fermenter : the pot of my new "big" still that i presented to you some time ago. this pot is 100 lt and it is almost full
fermenter full
fermenter full
i areated all the wash very well : from the carboy to the copper pot , from copper pot to the fermenter and a lot of stirring before adding yeast.

i took half liter from the wash and i boiled it with the yeast , added then to the "wash"
i took half liter from the wash, i cooled down with some cold water ( that I saved from washing the molasses container ) to 35° C and i started the " pizza "yeast. after 15 minutes it foamed so i add to the wash.
the wash was at 40° C
time 24.00 went to bed!

Yesterday in the morning time 05.30 before going to job : :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

unfortunately Yesterday the weather was bad and the temperature was low ( 15° 17° ) but the fermenter was pretty hot +/- 25° , today the sun is back so i think that the fermentation is Greater...and also the temperature.... I hope
i want the esters which i learned are so important for the flavour.

the smell is very good, sweet and soft

i tried to follow all.... most of the information i read here

i want to say thank's to all you guys !!!

P.S. GUDI RUM because Gudi is my nickname that friends have given me since elementary school time
Attachments
fermenter at 05.00 am  air at 12°c
fermenter at 05.00 am air at 12°c
only sheep need a leader
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: my first " GUDI_RUM"

Post by Saltbush Bill »

zio_gessi wrote:...so i said to myself: start !! IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO REALLY LEARN ABOUT IT
:thumbup: +1
Hope it works out for you Zio.
Rum is easy to make, making it taste the way you want is a little harder, more molasses will give you a bolder flavour.
It wouldnt hurt to put a little epsom salts in your wash to keep the yeast happy.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Good to have ya, also glad to see you doing rum.

If time isn't an issue I just finished reading about Hamden rums and they do a longer open fermentation to help out with the esterification, you're I'm sure not the same climate but it could help with the flavors some imho.

You're correct, sooo much information here to sort through but keep reading, learning and experimenting. That's how we learn stuff and learn to make what we like.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Shine0n
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

Saltbush Bill wrote:
zio_gessi wrote:...so i said to myself: start !! IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO REALLY LEARN ABOUT IT
:thumbup: +1
Hope it works out for you Zio.
Rum is easy to make, making it taste the way you want is a little harder, more molasses will give you a bolder flavour.
It wouldnt hurt to put a little epsom salts in your wash to keep the yeast happy.
i know but i had no time to buy it... for the flvour my plan is to do a stripping run for this batch, the another fermenter of 40- 50 lt to strip with the dunder, then a spirit run with the low wines + dunder and rum oil

i' ll see !! thanks for the input
only sheep need a leader
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

Shine0n wrote:Good to have ya, also glad to see you doing rum.

If time isn't an issue I just finished reading about Hamden rums and they do a longer open fermentation to help out with the esterification, you're I'm sure not the same climate but it could help with the flavors some imho.

You're correct, sooo much information here to sort through but keep reading, learning and experimenting. That's how we learn stuff and learn to make what we like.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Shine0n
i dont have an open fermenter , i have a lid on top of the pot that isn't air tight but maybe can help to retain some more flavour ..

thank's for the input too !!
only sheep need a leader
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I have a towel on top of all 3 of my fermenters just to keep the damn gnats out, they get bad round here but it's still open to the air, dust and all the shit floating around my dirt floor barn. I also like to ferment hot meaning 90°f +
If you strip the runs down low like at 5-10% you'll have all the oils in there and may not need any dilution at all for a spirit run and some of us don't think it's necessary anyway but I'll get slapped on the hand if I mention that any further.

Just look at true pot stilled rum and read some on what they do and you'll see what I mention.
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

hi , it is still bubbling a lot less but still fermenting ... the weather was bad a so the temperature was 15-16° C slowing down the process....

anyway i'll wait !!!

my plan is to do a stripping run down to 5% like suggested then spirit run with some dunder and rum oils .

i'm curios to try removing the first part of head and tail and don't re-run like pugirum recipe
only sheep need a leader
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Just remove the fores and keep everything else, rerun with fresh wash or dunder, either way should get you a strong, rich, flavorful product.
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

damm weather !!! still raining still cold...

but after a week a think's my fermenter is ready :
YESTERDAY NIGHT
YESTERDAY NIGHT
AND THIS MORNING , A VERY FEW "fizzz"
CAM00973.jpg
i'll wait untill Tomorrow then i put the wash in the carboys, i'll wash the fermenter ( my still pot)

i 'll do a stripping run and as son as possible i'll start a new fermerter with also what are left on the bottom of the pot and the carboy (old yeast, sediment molasses...)

p.s. the smell are a lot less strong than the first days, i'll taste the wash tonight to see if the sugars are been converted

cheers
only sheep need a leader
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

hi guys, it stops fermenting , so i put the wash into the carboys to let it settles.

Yesterday i have found an "hydrometer" so i check the FG that is +/- 1,015... this let me think / assume that most of the sugar are been converted ... what you think about ???

(the meter i found has a "babo's grade" that needs to be converted, mine show 2.8°/ 3° BABO SO FG 1,015)

i even taste the wash and it was bitter while after the " mash" it was sour...i hope all went right
CAM00980.jpg
CAM00983.jpg
34 LT CARBOYS WAITING TO BE TRANSERED (SIPHON) TO THE STILL
34 LT CARBOYS WAITING TO BE TRANSERED (SIPHON) TO THE STILL
only sheep need a leader
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

...yes i have 20 lt low wine !
i discarded foreshot and 1,5 lt of head and then i collected untill the abv was 10

to be honest the smell wasn't so good than i expected but now after 4 days it seems better

to be honest i collected less than i expected probally the molasses i used had a lot of unfermentable sugar and the low temperature din't help the process ... now i understand why is important to know the SG , FG before starting the run...

CAM00996.jpg

When i siphoned the wash into the still i saved the bottom +/- 1 gallon

i also saved the dunder +/- 55 lt : half i poured into a carboy alone and the other one's into another carboy with the wash saved before .

the smell of this dunder is good i can still smell the molesses aroma.

let the sit after some day i noticed that the pure dunder is starting to get "infected" while the dunder+wash is fermentig !!! very very slow but fermentig....

so i thought to add sugar and a new yeast ( a little ) to this fermentig dunder to have a new wash that i can run with the low wine making a true spirit run with the right cut
this time i'll take the SG-FG .

the purpose is to have the molasses aroma into the wash without buy more molasses that here is quite expensive

working in progress , THE EXPERIMENT CONTINUES.

cheers :wave:
only sheep need a leader
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

zio_gessi wrote:i even taste the wash and it was bitter while after the " mash" it was sour...i hope all went right
If its bitter to taste its done or close to it......I would have left it a few more days to be 100 %sure.
zio_gessi wrote:i discarded foreshot and 1,5 lt of head and then i collected untill the abv was 10
Best to leave the heads cut until you do your spirit run.
zio_gessi wrote:to be honest the smell wasn't so good than i expected but now after 4 days it seems better
Good rum rarely smells nice as low wines, flavour and goodness come after the spirit run and then with age and oak.
zio_gessi wrote:i understand why is important to know the SG , FG before starting the run...
That wont make it ferment any faster or better ....or give you anymore booze. More heat and or more Molasses will do that.
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

no time Yesterday but simple add 1 kg of sugar in the carboy of left over wash and dunder and it soon started bubbling fast !
this night i'll boil some water + dunder + sugar to add to this carboy .
cheers

sorry no time to write today
only sheep need a leader
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

..no time dammn.. job ! i added another 4 kg of sugar in to the carboy and it is bubbling fast !! ( 1 kg a day). 34 lt of wash/dunder

the other dunder carboy i left it start to be infected
CAM01004.jpg
so now the plan is : 22 lt of low wine + 34 lt of fermented dunder + 20 lt clear infected dunder = spirit run.

if i have time i'll try to warm up the fermented dunder at 150° f for 2-3 hours like shineon suggested in his thread butter rum.

regards
only sheep need a leader
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Try 135°f for 2 hours on just the rum ferment.

I've not tried on the dunder, only first fement.

That's alot of dunder in a spirit run, be careful.
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

Shine0n wrote:
That's alot of dunder in a spirit run, be careful.
AT what dunder are you speaking about ? the fermented one's or the infected one's ?
only sheep need a leader
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

the infected dunder is growing up
CAM01033.jpg
the smell is good

i can use only 15 lt of infected dunder in the spirit run...
only sheep need a leader
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Either one, dunder is dunder and packs alot of flavors, Odin did some experimenting and found at 25% dunder is max. I found this as well that's why I don't go above 25%

I believe der wo has said he seen minimal difference from 10-25%
Me on the other hand can taste the difference from 10 and 25, maybe it's the way I make the ferment or its ingredients, who knows but the dunder is the main flavoring for that style of rum.

I love the funky taste of heavy rums, perhaps the fermented dunder will be different. I don't ferment the dunder, just keep the pellicle atop an keep track of the ph, it adds more flavor than most can handle.
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

yes i understand , thought the fermented dunder was accidental ... ( it started fermentig when i put with the left over wash ) and at this point i have to give it a chance....

22 lt low wine + 34 fermented dunder +15 infected dunder i'll post the result

cheers and thks
only sheep need a leader
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

hi friends,still reading a lot of threads i realized that this is a work in progress recipe and i post here to help myself to have a record and if all goes right i can in the future make a true proven recipe. i also hope that someone is interested in my experiment...

like you know after the first stripping run , half of my dunder was let go infected and half mixed with the " lees " accidentally started fementing. to this one ( 34 l ) i added little at a time +/- 5 kg of stardand withe sugar (cheap) and i added also another 15 lt of water and a litlle bread yeast . it is still bubbling after 2 week and is my aim to add another 10 lt of water and 5 kg of sugar to reach a 60 lt wash at 8/9° abv.

when it'll stop bubbling the night before the stripping run i want to try the shineon recipe to give it the "buttery taste" .

before the stripping run i'll add 15 lt of infected dunder.

work in progress, cheers
only sheep need a leader
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

hi , Yesterday night i stripped the fermented dunder, +/- 60 lt , i collected 12 lt of low wine only because (dammned me) i fall in sleep and the spirit has overflowed the jug .... :evil:

i slept 2 hours so i lost +/- 3 or maybe 4 liter of low wine , the only positive things is that i was on the end of the run , ( abv 20°- 25° ) so i didn't lost too much alcol

now i have 34 of low wine and i think to add 15 lt of infected dunder and maybe 10 lt of old withe wine that i had sitting in a corner to compensate the lost..

maybe tonight i'll do the spirit run...

cheers
only sheep need a leader
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

zio_gessi wrote:hi , Yesterday night i stripped the fermented dunder, +/- 60 lt , i collected 12 lt of low wine only because (damned me) i fall in sleep and the spirit has overflowed the jug .... :evil:
cheers
Set the jug in a large tall tray!

Guess how I worked that out?

Geoff
The Baker
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

The Baker wrote:
zio_gessi wrote:hi , Yesterday night i stripped the fermented dunder, +/- 60 lt , i collected 12 lt of low wine only because (damned me) i fall in sleep and the spirit has overflowed the jug .... :evil:
cheers
Set the jug in a large tall tray!

Guess how I worked that out?

Geoff
eh!!! you are right :thumbup:

i forgot to say that before the stripping run i did the "shineon butter rum process"
only sheep need a leader
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Stay awake for this one!!! :lol:
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

:thumbup: shineon, ..... don't shot me but Yesterday while thinking on how compensate the lost i rejected to add some old wine (i don't want to add grape flavor) and : :idea:

i took 10 liter of fresh dunder (good smell) + 5 lt of water + 10 lt of infected dunder ( very very good smell ) + 5 kg of sugar + yeast (starded)

when ready i'll do the spirit run !

cheers
only sheep need a leader
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Make brandy from the old wine.

Geoff
The Baker
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

hi, yesterday night i did the spirit run :
1° i did the butter process with the last fermented dunder 2 days before

2° i charged the still : 34 lt of low wine , 30 lt fermented dunder, +/- 20 lt of infected dunder

i Always discarded the foreshot (0,5 lt) of the stripping runs

spirit run pure pot still mode : i discarded another 0,5 lt of foreshot ( to BE EXTRA SAFE) , i collected +/- 3 lt of head and when the bad smell went out i started to collect the heart 15 lt and +/- 3 lt of tails

when i started to collect the heart the vapor temp was 80° C and when i cut before tails was +/- 90°

i have to be honest .....:

DONT SHOT ME :oops: I WOULD COLLECTED ANOTHER 3 LT OF HEART BUT fucking me i felt in sleep for one hour -............. :evil:
it happened from 02.30 to 03.30 am... i am too tired because of job
i started at 18.30 , at 20.00 the first foreshot came out and i ended up at 05.30 am and i arrived at job this morning at 06.30 :wtf:

this still is really big ! it takes a lot of time if i run it slowly like i think it must be done,( i had no reflux or packing because i have to finish some thing about the reflux coil )

the smell of the rum is already good out from the still, i cannot smell the molasses but i remember that the smell of the stripping run changed quickly maybe would be the same
i didn't taken the global ABV I was too tired , i'll do it.

now i want to try bucaner bob recipe with 4-5 lt of rum and let the other rum aging with some wood.... i'll study about it

so what i can say... I hope I have made a good rum ... i want to say thank's to all you for the suggestions and for sharing your experience.v :thumbup:

this evening I have to go to a friend who has a plum tree full of fruit to strip :D :D a new adventure starts !!!

have a good day !!!
only sheep need a leader
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Hope it turns out well for you, sounds pretty interesting.

I'll pm you with my address so I can get a sample or three
lol
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

good morning friends, Monday a friend of mine gave me 100 bottles of old chardonnay white wine and while I was running the still i tried the bucaner bob recipe, i boiled the dunder and i mixed with 750 ml of rum. i don't remember how much dunder i tried more or less a wine glass into 750 ml ...

YESTERDAY I had friends at dinner and I could not resist: I took the bottle of rum out of the closet: :D i liked it , they also liked it , they (we) drunk all the bottle

it is Young too Young but good !!!! :thumbup:
only sheep need a leader
zio_gessi
Novice

Post by zio_gessi »

hi friends , after a long period i here again !

my 17 lt of rum is ageing but during this period i read a lot the forum ...so a month ago i tried to add a some vanilline sugar sugar (sold for cake) and some cane sugar.

i boiled a little of dunder and i poured in 200 grams of sugar and then into the 17 liters... but i did a mistake ( o maybe 2) THE FIRST i didn't take the " proof" and only after i understand that the sugar i added surely change the reading of the Alcoholometer

anybody can help to solve the question ? how can now know the really proof of my rum ?

:wave:
only sheep need a leader