Suggestions for commercial rums?

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

distiller_dresden
Trainee

Suggestions for commercial rums?

Post by distiller_dresden »

So I'd like to buy a good commercial rum, in a store, and I've struck out EVER trying to find Hampden. I guess I need to get that online and ship it to myself...

I have seen Appleton's. What's a good bottle of Appleton's for $75 (or less if it exists?) that would introduce me to this ester/funky style of rum? I'm used to richer dark kind of rums, what I've liked and been used to. My favorite has always been ron anejo aniversario pampero from Venezuala in the leather bag. I know now (thanks der wo!) it has added vanilla and glycerine, of course it still tastes good to me! But I don't have any familiarity with I guess it would be 'lighter' (by what they look like anyhow) rums like the Appleton's.

But from all I've read these are the fruity/ester rums. I'd like this thread to be a 'suggest a rum' thread where we name a rum or three and tasting notes, average cost, so we can all get familiar with the commercial offerings of rum even if we haven't had them. I'll update my own info later on the ron rum; I'm in a bit of a hurry now. Hoping to check in a while if anyone has suggested an Appleton's, while I'm out running around today I'd like to pick up a bottle with some good esters if one is suggested...
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Suggestions for commercial rums?

Post by der wo »

Is the Appleton 12 really such expensive in your country?
It's a good Rum and probably without sugar and other things. It has effects of dunder, but it's no high ester Rum.

The cheapest Rum with many esters is the Hampden Gold. It's almost unaged, but has a little caramel added. The Hampden Rum Fire is a cheap white Rum with many esters. Those two would be compromises, they are Rums for mixing. A real high ester Rum for drinking pure with a good age costs in my country almost 100€.

No way to get such Rums in a store in my country. I always have to buy online.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Max_Vino
Bootlegger

Post by Max_Vino »

der wo wrote:Is the Appleton 12 really such expensive in your country?
It's a good Rum and probably without sugar and other things. It has effects of dunder, but it's no high ester Rum.
Der wo is right about that, it is a solid rum with no sugar added.

You might want to try Mt Gay XO. It’s a authentic rum that also has no sugar added (I tested it using the hydrometer method) unlike the candy cough syrups posing as rums these days. It’s not a high ester rum but has a lovely cinnamony woody aroma and has notes of toffee and molasses on the pallet with a small bite on the finish. Delicious. There is a slight sweetness and smoothness which indicates sugar so I am assuming it’s coming from the oak.

Cheers,
Max
RafaelArroyo
Novice

Post by RafaelArroyo »

distiller_dresden wrote:I've struck out EVER trying to find Hampden.
They sell to independent bottlers. You might be able to find one of those even if you can't get Hampden proper. Stolen Jamaican Overproof is sourced from them, and they sell that at Costco, at least out here. It's also part of the Smith and Cross blend.

Wray and Nephew Overproof is a similar style, and much easier to find than any Hampden
Brewing hydrometers are $10-12. A refractometer can be had for $18. You're going to break at least one hydrometer, probably more. Do the math.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

I got Appleton's 12 year, it was $38, really affordable considering what I was ready to spend. This weekend I'll hit Costco and look for the bottled renamed Hampden brand. I've ALWAYS had good luck with premium liquors at Costco; the Costco brand premium vodka and single malt scotch is wonderful and clearly not 'bargain basement' as one might assume from the atmosphere of a bulk members shopping club and handle/half gallon of liquor. Time to try the rums! Incidentally that 12 year was the best Appleton's they had.

Incidentally incidentally, I haven't tasted it yet, however it smells, I am not exaggerating or fibbing, it smells EXACTLY like my currently finished off 80 proof rum. That wasn't pure and unadulterated though; I had macerated small amounts of black cherries, golden and standard raisins, prunes, apricots, orange peel, cloves, vanilla bean, blk peppercorns, sliced pineapple, & panela in mine along with 3 types of oak with various toast levels. It was a 4-5 week PROCESS to get my rum balanced and tasting just right where I was really really happy with it and I think it paid off because I've had a ton of compliments and people telling me it's amazing and fantastic.

I can't wait for my current rum, since that rum was produced from batches with mashed banana and turbo yeast, and not enough molasses with too much water (didn't count molasses as liquid in my '5 gal mash').
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'm surprised you can't get Hamden in your country, it says Europe is one of the leading places it fulfills order to.
I read they fell upon hard financial times a few years ago and was almost bankrupt, surprised because of the prices they sell for.

I do like rum with a little funkyness to it but from what I've read the DOK is by far the leader of the pack. 1500ppm is crazy of esters and is undrinkable on its own, I guess that's why they sell alot of rum for others to blend.

I'm going to go and buy the Rum Fire if I can find it and try my hand at recreating it, I'm sure I'll get nowhere near but I'll try it anyway, I see they do long hot ferments but I couldn't find where and when they add the muck to the fermentation.

DD, I'd try the rum fire for your first high ester rum and see if that's a path you'd like to follow.

I myself never was a rum drinker per se until I started making my own.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

In college I was a vodka drinker because clear, almost flavorless. Since I developed a taste for single malt scotches, more like Glenlivet and similar that don't have much peat/smokiness because I'm not there yet. I don't like the smokiness; I like the sweet/maltiness and the fruity and vanilla or wood notes, more complex ones like sometimes even orange, prune, etc. From there I grew into rums, and really like the ron rum, it's smooth, rich, the caramel/vanilla/oak flavor is very preferential to me. I'm exploring now the fruity rums with this Appleton's and want to try the banana Hampden's.

I do find I have a very picky, 'snooty' tongue. I can't drink blended scotches, or haven't had one I liked. My dad loves Chivas and it tastes like harsh cat piss compared to Glenlivet, to me. I know they're both aged, good scotches, but damn if I don't think Glenlivet is just a hell of a lot smoother and I just can't do Chivas at all. A lot of rums I've had so far are cheaper, and always taste like it to me, harsh, not smooth.

To me, a liquor/spirit needs to be drinkable/smooth at room temperature and neat, no ice or water or maybe just a few drops (especially scotch, it really blooms with a few drops). If I can enjoy something this way, room temp and neat, then in my opinion for my tastes it is quality and I like it. I also enjoy complexity in spirits, flavors and picking up different things with new sips. I like cabernet sauvignon at room temp or slightly chilled. So far the best I've had is a 2006 vintage Stag's Leap Artemis out of California, and I have a bottle of 2012 that I've been holding onto since 2013 for I don't know when, but I'll know when. :)
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I know when...S318 :thumbup:
By then my rum should have almost 7 months and at only a gallon it should be right by then, it will be bold and flavorful.
I'm also working up another batch of my butter rum and it should be fine by then as well, it will be white tho!
distiller_dresden
Trainee

That's an idea ShineOn... I'll consider. We're talking about like an $80-100 bottle of vino and their current vintages of that winery and that cab are hard times because of the fires, so it's additionally valuable, like, for real too. It is an amazing cab.

I am curious about the white butter rum. I literally cannot imagine a 'white' rum with rich rum and butter flavors; I picture it brown. You'll blow my mind! I am curious about S3:18. My dad wants to know when it is and we're waiting still on the notifies. He wants to do some train trip that is through Penn and up to NYC and back or something, some long train trip, in Sept. Needing to know S3 times, so I told him I don't know, I can't commit to the train dad... We're waiting, he asks me like twice a week, "Email/notice yet?" Not yet pops...

My apple brandy is 10 days old or so; it's already sweet, apply, pear, but there's a bit there that needs to smooth. I think some angel's will take the bite, as well as when I split it into 4 or 5 portions into 32 oz jars and drop Fuji apples in like calvados pomme prisonniere... Hoping that will blow up minds. And my fermenting rum currently. So much time to prepare wonders for everyone to ponder!
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

I had a couple bottles of some agricule rum that had complex flavors, they were funky and pretty damn amazing. No added sugar, just was really damn good.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
distiller_dresden
Trainee

When we're posting rum names/bottles of, post as complete a name and brand as you're able, even a photo if possible, I'm hoping this thread will be a resource for people looking to explore the world of commercial rums... Because that's what I'd like to do! I'd like to get more familiar with rum in general while I am distilling it so I build my knowledge not only in fermenting and distilling and aging it, but also drinking brands of commercial rums so I have a deeper awareness of what I like and don't.

Here's what I got today, "Appleton Estate Aged 12 Years," rum, it was $37.99:
appletonestateextra.jpg
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Bacardi! And that is all
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

DD, Have a look at my thread here in the rum forum. It does take an extra step in the process but my god does it taste and smell of warm sweet buttery molasses.

I'll definitely be bringing some to the meet!

That Appleton 12 looks good and for the price I'm surprised really so cheap.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

By the way, the Appleton 12 is very smooth. It has notes of orange peel, but extremely subtle, not over-powering at all, and vanilla, raisin, a little base of 'rumminess' molasses/brown sugar but it is very light. It has a buttery finish, not like butter taste, but the after taste is smooth and caramelly. It is however very oaky, much more than I expected. Shortly after you sip the second thing I get is a very clear flavor of the smell of when you toast oak in your oven, it's not over-oaked or tannins at all, it's just that oak wood flavor that pops for a second then disappears in the after taste when you swallow as the caramel buttery-ness settles on your tongue and into the back of your throat, the vapors.

It's a really good rum; I think I like it better than the Ron rum, it is more complex. Also after it's settled for a minute or two there is a very subtle banana finish that lingers in your nose, it's really pleasant.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

The only trick that Appleton uses probably, is to use cheap worn out casks and to add oak alternatives (sticks, spirals, chips). It's all in all cheaper than relative fresh high quality casks.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
distiller_dresden
Trainee

It does kind of have that 'chip' oak flavor, without the tannin you get from chips. It's not overpowering or strong, I am not criticizing the rum at ALL. It's pleasant, unless you don't like oak I guess, it is literally like I said very brief, and EXACTLY the flavor of what the smell of your home is when you toast oak in your oven. It's pretty interesting to get that exact flavor for a moment in the sip actually. It's almost so precise that you'd think it's artificial, but it's so brief and passing that it can't be 'added' it has to be from touching oak.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Yesterday I revisited Appleton 12 vs Mount Gay XO:
Mount Gay is cleaner distilled, doesn't need much aging time, high quality, has much wood, a bit like a Bourbon. It's strong aroma is from the wood.
Appleton is more dundery and tailsy. More interesting, but a bit wishy-washy. More interesting, but lower quality.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

distiller_dresden wrote:In college I was a vodka drinker because clear, almost flavorless. Since I developed a taste for single malt scotches, more like Glenlivet and similar that don't have much peat/smokiness because I'm not there yet. I don't like the smokiness; I like the sweet/maltiness and the fruity and vanilla or wood notes, more complex ones like sometimes even orange, prune, etc. From there I grew into rums, and really like the ron rum, it's smooth, rich, the caramel/vanilla/oak flavor is very preferential to me. I'm exploring now the fruity rums with this Appleton's and want to try the banana Hampden's.

I do find I have a very picky, 'snooty' tongue. I can't drink blended scotches, or haven't had one I liked. My dad loves Chivas and it tastes like harsh cat piss compared to Glenlivet, to me. I know they're both aged, good scotches, but damn if I don't think Glenlivet is just a hell of a lot smoother and I just can't do Chivas at all. A lot of rums I've had so far are cheaper, and always taste like it to me, harsh, not smooth.

To me, a liquor/spirit needs to be drinkable/smooth at room temperature and neat, no ice or water or maybe just a few drops (especially scotch, it really blooms with a few drops). If I can enjoy something this way, room temp and neat, then in my opinion for my tastes it is quality and I like it. I also enjoy complexity in spirits, flavors and picking up different things with new sips. I like cabernet sauvignon at room temp or slightly chilled. So far the best I've had is a 2006 vintage Stag's Leap Artemis out of California, and I have a bottle of 2012 that I've been holding onto since 2013 for I don't know when, but I'll know when. :)
Auchentoshan Three Wood. Glenlivet can suck it. Thank me later.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

der wo wrote:Yesterday I revisited Appleton 12 vs Mount Gay XO:
Mount Gay is cleaner distilled, doesn't need much aging time, high quality, has much wood, a bit like a Bourbon. It's strong aroma is from the wood.
Appleton is more dundery and tailsy. More interesting, but a bit wishy-washy. More interesting, but lower quality.
I had the XO recently and would agree with this. I have Appleton Signature, 8YO and two bottles of the 12YO. The 12YO definitely has the dunder/tails as you describe, but both my bottles are also hot with a little too much heads. The 8YO, which is also 43%, has none of the heads, but also none of the subtle funk of the 12. It does have banana, which neither the Signature or 12YO has. Sadly, they've dropped the age statement and now just call it 'Reserve'.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

On the Appleton 12 - I drank a big glass neat last night; I've changed my opinion a bit, this is almost like oak rum. Do you guys get the oak on this, it's so oaky, oak is what I taste primarily when I swallow, there's this BOOM oak flavor, like I said the flavor of the smell of oak cooking in your oven when you toast it. But it's not tannin, it's like licking oak although when you actually lick oak you don't get that lol.

I can see how you get the dunder out of it; it's that sweet long finish that hangs in your mouth, right? I am not as advanced a rum drinker, I guess, because I can't tell or pick out 'tails' from it.

butterpants - Auchentoshan Three Wood - Haven't heard of this, so I'm curious. Is it a single malt? If it is I'm down, but first tell me, no peat or smoke? I can't do peat or smoke man. I mean I guess I can try it, but I don't know I'd buy a bottle of it because I have never had a scotch I liked that was peaty or smoky, they're all like HEY PEAT or A HOUSE BURNT DOWN THEN WE PUT THE BOTTLE OVER THE SMOKING HUSK. So overpowering; I like the sweetness of Glenlivet, the 'clean' taste and finish.

EDIT - looked up Auchentoshan, didn't see anything about smoke or peat, and it sounds delicious! I found some locally, it was a little tough, only at one store, and then only one of their locations, but I'm going to pick it up in a little bit here.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

The Appleton 12 is not overoaked, at least not for a Rum.
The Auchentoshan Three Wood is overoaked, at least for a single malt... No clear age statement and two finishes in Sherry casks... uärgs, much too sweet IMO. And the new make itself has a low quality I think. Either it's much younger than they say or it's a bad new make.
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

My suggestion is "Don't, just don't."

Appleton is rum for guys who'd really rather be drinking bourbon. It's all "oak barrel", and it tastes nothing like rum, whatsoever. By definition, rum is supposed to actually taste like rum, and Appleton does not.

Bacardi dark rum could have been a good -- at least it does taste pretty much like rum, or at least it used to, I haven't had any for years, so I'm not sure anymore -- except that the amount of heads that they leave in that stuff should be illegal, seriously.

Cuban white rums? Well, you might as well be drinking vodka.

Flavored rums? Well, you might as well be drinking flavored vodka.

If you want a good rum, you really have to make it yourself. That's all there is too it.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Appleton does remind me of a bourbon or whisky when I smelled it and first tasted it, with that oak up front flavor. But the other flavors that follow it are not bourbon/whisky at all. It's just a bit oakey. Oaky? Probably not a word, really.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

And what I think about Buccaneer Bobs post:

There is a huge difference between commercial Rum and homedistiller.org -Rum.

hd-Rum is like hd-moonshine: Relative low abv distillation methods and a very strict heads cut. And replacing molasses with raw cane sugar partially.
Commercial Rum (also the very expensive ones) is always relative high abv distillation (also potstilled Rum) and a very small heads cut.

You can't compare it, it's total different.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I too believe there is no comparison in my 3 rums compared to any commercial rums I've ever tried.

I believe that's why I started making my own in the first place, I also would rather wait a year with less oak than to have it taste like bourbon with more/heavy oak at 6 months.

I still may try one or two of the upper shelf rums for comparison to my own but still I love what I make and won't be spending alot of cash on any others.

I spend enough money to make me own :thumbup:
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Oh after comparison there's not much between mine and Appleton's 12 - smell is there, but that's it. Theirs is much more caramel or tailsy than mine, and oak much much more oak. Mine the oak is balanced in the flavor of the bottom balance, the bottom 50 or 40% is molasses/panela that holds together all the fruit notes and the clove and vanilla. I think I prefer mine, a little more, but there is something kind of addictive about the caramel long finish of the 12 that has me thinking about it still. Different rums, for sure, as ShineOn says.

Oh, and as for Costco - they only had two rums, both were spiced rums, Morgan's and the other was Costco brand spiced rum (yeck spiced rum). I know with clove in mine you can argue with me, but clove is all I put in mine as to spices.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

DD, if choosing Appleton’s how’s this one?
563F4235-3F32-44A7-86BF-90E3012B7991.jpeg
“A well-aged 21 year old Jamaican rum, blended and married in casks for two years....”

Nothing says SWMBO approval like a “married” 21 y.o. :esurprised:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Or something a little “younger” ... like an 11 y.o.?
F565F0AF-38DC-4BBD-8806-E4FC22E58A75.jpeg
“An 11 year old rum from Worthy Park in Jamaica, produced in their Forsyths pot still in 2006 and bottled in 2017.”
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
distiller_dresden
Trainee

I've had a hard time finding anything over Appleton's 12 year, that looks good, I hope it's not more oak though.

Is Forsyth's a funky rum? Is that two thumper set up I see on their picture? What's that rum like?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Forsyths is the Rum, because of I started the "where does the banana flavor in Rum come from" thread. Not this 11 aged, but a white one. You can read the ester counts on their labels. Very high numbers. Forsyths is the name of the high ester Rums from Worthy Park distillery. Simply buying a Hampden or Worthy Park doesn't mean that it is a very high ester Rum. They all make several different Rums.
The bottle stillstirrin posted costs 100€ in Germany.