DuRhum.com: Visit to Hampden

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

DuRhum.com: Visit to Hampden

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Seriously - look at their ferments & Dunder/Muck. :sick: WOW.

http://durhum.com/visite-chez-hampden/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
At the back of the room, another insulated and screened tank serves as a receptacle for a mixture of exotic fruits in decomposition, constantly regenerated. There are mixed bananas, jackfruits and sapotillas that will help to boost nitrogen levels. And who knows what else ... A mother of fermentation
Translate does a good job on the page. Interesting - they are using the rotted fruits not just as sources for ester precursors but as a nitrogen (FAN) source for the yeast. It seams to be a fully developed nutrient for the yeast.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: DuRhum.com: Visit to Hampden

Post by Twisted Brick »

Amazing tour, thanks for sharing.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Some nice photos there.

I think its worth keeping in mind that Hampden not only make rum, but essences for the food industry. Its highly likely there are things that never make it into an actual rum. Still gives us some ideas though.

The Jackfruit can be seen in this video.
https://youtu.be/AckevcF71og?t=107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

:lol: That will give the clean freaks something to think about. Need a few truck loads of Metabisulphite to scrub those fermenters clean.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I read that some of those fermenters are over 150 years old, I don't think any amount of cleaning would touch that funk.
I'd like to build a miniature replica of those stills. Just looks right to make rum in!!!
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Hampden is known to make DOK, a super high ester rum, that's rarely on offer straight. It's used (sparingly I'd guess) in blends, perfume, tobacco and food flavoring if I've got it right. Their lightly aged stuff is an awesome funk bomb, although it's harder to find now. Thanks again, der wo, to point me in the direction of Hampden Gold. I'm waiting for a release of their longer aged stuff. Christian Seale from Foursquare said they're going to release a collaboration between Foursquare and Hampden soon. According to this site at the bottom it'll be mostly unaged.

I'm wondering how well the Bajan rum will stand up to that Jamaican funkiness.
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

V interesting post. Thanks.