Reproduction - Privateer Queens Share - tails rum

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

distiller_dresden
Trainee

Reproduction - Privateer Queens Share - tails rum

Post by distiller_dresden »

Hey all. So I'd like to reproduce this interesting and complex rum - I found a good article about how they make it. Basically they save their tails until they have enough to run tails alone. They also ferment at 74-78F...

http://cocktailwonk.com/2017/11/private ... n-rum.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I've edited the interview/article to include the relevant parts for reproducing the process/Queens Share rum.
After filling the still with 140 gallons of tails (“secondes” in French) from many prior runs, Maggie entrusts me to press a large industrial button on a control panel. Within the still, an agitator arm begins to spin and the steam jacket begins to warm the pot’s contents.

Long, cool fermentation creates flavor. The slower fermentation means less aggressive CO2 escaping the vessel. […] hot and fast fermentation leads to losing volatile aromas. Cooler temps retain high flavor definition, especially delicate flavors, and avoid stewed flavors.
[Long fermentation also] allows for extended lees contact, the dead and degrading yeast cells that can give texture and even subtle flavors […] It allows the ethanol molecules in the fermentation to link up with other flavor molecules as it rests (similar as it does during aging). […] This is the first step to ensuring we do not need filtration to remove potential off flavors or artificial additives to add flavor we didn’t achieve. We just have to get it right.

The eau de vie still has reached operating temperature, and vapor flows through the copper column. Through the porthole windows, each plate is covered in boiling liquid. Since we’re making Queen’s Share today, our heads cut will be remarkably short. Why, you ask? What’s in the pot is tails from prior distillation runs. There’s almost no heads to be found within – this run only produced a half gallon of heads. Soon enough, Maggie has determined that we’re in the hearts stage, and she moves a collection vat into place to collect the condensed distillate. It will be a while before the hearts phase completes, so it’s perfect time to look in on Privateer’s barrel aging.

Privateer only uses full-sized barrels. Their heartier distillates go into new American oak casks where they take on similar flavors to what bourbon gets from a barrel, like vanilla. More delicate distillates go into ex-bourbon or ex-brandy casks, which give less flavor from the wood and more from oxidative aging. While browsing through the barrels, I spotted a Hine Cognac labeled cask, a good sign! Rum enters the aging cask at a relatively low 110 proof. While this lower ABV makes aging take longer, the resulting spirit retains more of the original flavors created during fermentation. For proofing fresh distillate down to barrel-entry proof, Privateer’s team uses barrel-aged water that’s been proofed to 30 percent ABV. This technique “shocks” the rum less and is an old Cognac technique that I’ve heard Plantation’s Alexandre Gabriel speak about as well.
It's pretty evident to me it's tails, duh. Also that they proof with the 30 proof water, which I can use some rum hearts to water to make, and then my thinking is soak some French oak dominoes in cognac, let them dry, then place them in the water to make barrel-aged 30 proof water for proofing. Same for dominoes for the rum.

Now to the tails; I think it's not going to work to just save 120 proof down to 70/60 proof tails from several runs, until I have 5 gallons to fill my still and run that, right? There's not going to be flavor and it's going to end up coming out as pure alcohol? So my thought was to use dunder at 60% and tails at 40%, or maybe 50/50, or 40/60? But certainly not more than that, and what in my thumper?

I'm excited about the not much heads part, very excited by that. What do you all have to comment or think about this? I am going to begin saving tails immediately to try this because it should make a nice rum with some complexity.
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Reproduction - Privateer Queens Share - tails rum

Post by der wo »

I suspect what thy call "tails" means feints. A Rum run without any heads sounds strange. Perhaps for blending. But to sell it pure?

And the rest of the article is marketing mostly. Not much information. Only like always "we use the best molasses the best yeast the best fermentation process the best still the best barrels and so on" In this context they say their Rum is interesting and complex. Like every Rum company claims.

I would add the feints to the next stripping runs. There are the best conditions to get flavor and yield from it.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

And "reproduction"?
Their recipe: redistilling "tails".
Your recipe: redistilling dunder with tails.
And then? Without knowing the taste of their Rum, how do you know your replication was successful or not?

And BTW, what will you do with your heads if you only reuse the tails? Discard them?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Awesome - I was HOPING you'd show up in here der wo! I think they really mean tails only, not heads, since they talk about heads and tails. A friend of mine, JohnsMyName, posting name, has the rum and has tried it and says it's really interesting and complex and one of the better rums he's tried. He also managed to snag a bottle of Stolen Overproof for himself and 2 for me, as well as a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva for me. He's sending me a bit of the Privateer Queens Share so I can sample it as well as the Stolen and Diplomatico.

His really brief review of Stolen (Hampdens!):
"I didn't like Stolen Overproof at first, I tried it last night straight with an ice cube. But I'm drinking it now with a ton of ice and pineapple juice. Wow has it got some funk. It made the pineapple juice almose savory. Tastes like popcorn oddly enough."

Brief review, just texting each other casually. I can't WAIT to get my lips on the Stolen! Anyways... Can't wait to try the Queens Share, because the idea of a tails rum -- remember she specifically says in the article: "Since we’re making Queen’s Share today, our heads cut will be remarkably short. Why, you ask? What’s in the pot is tails from prior distillation runs. There’s almost no heads to be found within – this run only produced a half gallon of heads." So that stuff is ALL tails.

I can use heads in later batches of rum to recycle in my pot, like I typically do, but I want to make an effort to save tails and try to do this because I think it interesting to get a nearly no heads run and that there could be a lot of interesting there in all tails. When scotch or whisky cuts are made for aging there are deep tails cuts because the tails make then much more interesting and contribute the flavors. In fact I think those heads I save I will give them a triple treatment in my ultrasonic cleaner and a 48 hour airing before I use them in my pot for rum runs, that way I eliminate a lot of the headsy ehtanols in there so I don't have them building up in my rums/runs and get to much heads in my runs and have it overwhelming my hearts.

What confuses me is a couple things though -- first, isn't it dangerous to but 5 gallons of 120-70 proof all tails alcohol in my pot and cook it?

Second, there's not going to be much flavor in what I get out because it's going to come off SUPER high like 190-180 proof, even if I have an empty thumper. Don't I need dunder or something to flavor those tails as rum - this is basically a 'spirit' run, right?

And for a spirit run aren't "the rules" that you run 40-50% of what you get from your stripping run and 60-50% wash/backset (if you don't have wash because who makes more mash/wash than they have sized still? I.E. I have a 5 gallon still, I do a 5.5 gallon ferment, cook it, even without my thump if I was doing a stripping run I'd strip 5 gallons, then have backset/dunder and 1.5 gallons or so of liquor)?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

distiller_dresden wrote:He's sending me a bit of the Privateer Queens Share so I can sample it as well as the Stolen and Diplomatico. :thumbup:

His really brief review of Stolen (Hampdens!):
"I didn't like Stolen Overproof at first, I tried it last night straight with an ice cube. But I'm drinking it now with a ton of ice and pineapple juice. Wow has it got some funk. It made the pineapple juice almose savory. Tastes like popcorn oddly enough." Yes. But how much funk exactly isn't written on the bottle unfortunately (ester count). Hampden makes very different Rums. But I know, seems it's your only chance to try out a Hampden.
"Since we’re making Queen’s Share today, our heads cut will be remarkably short. Why, you ask? What’s in the pot is tails from prior distillation runs. There’s almost no heads to be found within – this run only produced a half gallon of heads." So that stuff is ALL tails. Ok, agreed.
When scotch or whisky cuts are made for aging there are deep tails cuts because the tails make then much more interesting and contribute the flavors. What do you think is deep? The average of the high aromatic Malts cuts at 63%abv. Considering that there is only 20-25%abv in the boiler, it's an early cut IMO.
What confuses me is a couple things though -- first, isn't it dangerous to but 5 gallons of 120-70 proof all tails alcohol in my pot and cook it? Perhaps it's time to overcome this rule.
Second, there's not going to be much flavor in what I get out because it's going to come off SUPER high like 190-180 proof, even if I have an empty thumper. Don't I need dunder or something to flavor those tails as rum - this is basically a 'spirit' run, right? IMO there will be still enough flavor at this proof. It's just a normal proof for Rum. Also for high aromatic ones.

And for a spirit run aren't "the rules" that you run 40-50% of what you get from your stripping run and 60-50% wash/backset This would be a 1.5 run. One of the many ways of distilling. But no rule or something.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

So what do you think, der wo, here's my questions to develop and run this:

Do I collect 2.5 gallons tails and then add 2.5 gallons dunder in my pot and run this as a 'tails run'?
OR
Do I collect 5 gallons tails and put that in my pot and run this as a 'tails run'?

Next-
What goes in my thumper-
If I do the 2.5/2.5 I'm just going to put some of this same mix in my thumper and done.
OR
If I do the 5 gallons, should I put water, or dunder (to RUM flavor it more) in my thumper?

Also - how's my logic here - I'm going to use French oak dominoes soaked then dried in a VSOP cognac for oaking my water (which I'll add rum hearts from another/any rum run to get to 30 proof), and for oaking the rum after it's distilled since they use cognac barrels. Why? Cognac is French - so CLEARLY (right?) it's a French oak barrel.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

When you add dunder you will also get new heads/esters. The acids in the dunder will form with alcohol from the feints esters/heads. And this is what you don't want here I think. You want a headsless Rum, right?

So for a reproduction I wouldn't use dunder. And diluting with water dilutes flavor. Why are your tails so high abv? Run longer, then you have lower abv and more taste. More taste brings more taste and lower abv brings a more effective distillation.

Your thumper is very small. I wouldn't fill it at all. Is it really a thumper? Or a slobber box? Does the inlet pipe go almost to the bottom of the thumper or ends it just under the lid?

Normally I would put a higher abv mix into the thumper (much tails, only little dunder) and into the pot otherwise.
In your case I would start with an empty thumper.

Here you can read about Cognac maturation:
http://www.pediacognac.com/en/le-vieill ... lissement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
IMO you are far away from copying their Rum, because you only know a few parameters. No problem IMO. I think one detail more or less, it's not really important.
For bringing Cognac flavor into a Rum I would age it in jars with used oak sticks and add a bit Cognac to the jars. I don't have experience with oaked water. Because abv influences heavily the extraction, I think the result will be different from a normal aging at 60%abv or similar. More sweet, less spice. "Shocking" a distillate by dilution means turning esters to acids probably. Arroyo has written much about it and made experiments like measuring ester and acid levels before and after dilution. But it's a problem which is solvable by aging too. Aging reverses the shocking. But of course it would be nice to have the same age flavor after 2 years instead of 2 and a half.
They dilute with 30% Rum. Is this Rum also headsless? If not, perhaps here is the trick to add a bit fruity heads...
JohnsMyName
Bootlegger

Post by JohnsMyName »

Some interesting stuff in here guys, thanks for the thread Dresden and Derwu for the excellent comments.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

der wo wrote:When you add dunder you will also get new heads/esters. The acids in the dunder will form with alcohol from the feints esters/heads. And this is what you don't want here I think. You want a headsless Rum, right? Yep!

So for a reproduction I wouldn't use dunder. And diluting with water dilutes flavor. Why are your tails so high abv? Run longer, then you have lower abv and more taste. More taste brings more taste and lower abv brings a more effective distillation. I can use deeper tails; I was making all this up, not sure when to cut off the tails, cutting off later/almost at water would help dilute and would add rum oils!

Your thumper is very small. I wouldn't fill it at all. Is it really a thumper? Or a slobber box? Does the inlet pipe go almost to the bottom of the thumper or ends it just under the lid? Inlet pipe is very low in the thumper -- perhaps only 14-20 oz in my gallon thumper would cover the inlet pipe. Thumper or slobber box? I'm not educated or aware of/about slobber boxes, I need to read/learn about those as I'm previously unaware of them completely...

Normally I would put a higher abv mix into the thumper (much tails, only little dunder) and into the pot otherwise.
In your case I would start with an empty thumper. Wouldn't this just basically be like running without a thumper - the steam would fill then move through and to the worm? Or would it cool and drop and begin to fill the thumper? Maybe put some of the tails I've saved for this run into the thumper?

Here you can read about Cognac maturation: (thanks!)
http://www.pediacognac.com/en/le-vieill ... lissement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
IMO you are far away from copying their Rum, because you only know a few parameters. No problem IMO. I think one detail more or less, it's not really important.
For bringing Cognac flavor into a Rum I would age it in jars with used oak sticks and add a bit Cognac to the jars. I don't have experience with oaked water. Because abv influences heavily the extraction, I think the result will be different from a normal aging at 60%abv or similar. More sweet, less spice. "Shocking" a distillate by dilution means turning esters to acids probably. Arroyo has written much about it and made experiments like measuring ester and acid levels before and after dilution. But it's a problem which is solvable by aging too. Aging reverses the shocking. But of course it would be nice to have the same age flavor after 2 years instead of 2 and a half.
They dilute with 30% Rum. Is this Rum also headsless? They just said "30 proof water" so I thought I'd add rum hearts to water, otherwise not sure how to make 30 proof water, unless their barrel aging makes it, pulling it from the barrel as in 'Devil's share'? If not, perhaps here is the trick to add a bit fruity heads...
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

I would simply run the tails until you have tails with 30-40%abv. Or if you would run without a thumper even lower. The last distillate should not have any measurable alcohol.

If the inlet pipe goes down into the thumper, it's a thumper. A slobber box is only against puking, not one or a half additional distillation like with a thumper.
If you don't prefill the thumper, the first vapor will condense in the thumper and fill it this way. Depends on distillation speed. You could increase the condensing by spraying the thumper with a gardening spray bottle when the first vapor enters the thumper.

With the "30 proof water" I can't help further. I would first focus on the distillation. And then you will see if it needs hearts from another Rum perhaps.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Have about a gallon of tails now. As I continue to plan and think of this run, I am thinking of it mechanically and wondering the best way to run it -- do I run it with water in my thump keg, and if I do use my thump do I dilute the tails, or else I will get a pure alcohol 95% coming out. Do I disconnect my thumper and run a pot only distillation?

This seems the most proper for this if I have all tails in my pot, I'm guessing. Would be cool since I've never run anything with just the pot, I've always used the thump.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

It's not so easy to get pure alcohol 95%. Even if you have 60% in the boiler and the thumper would count as a full distillation, that you all in all have two distillations, you would end even at the beginning of the run under 90%.

I am not sure if a single pot distillation is enough to cean up the tails. So perhaps fill the tails in the pot and connect an empty thumper? Or try it with a potstill only. But collect jars down to something like 50% of the tails volume. Then you always can decide that it needs another run and you pour everything together again.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

So we know that they keep all their tails and run them out to 0, then rerun those when they have enough for a full run. Their boiler looks like maybe, I don't know, 100 gallons? 200? Anyway, question is, about what would the percent be of that mix in there if they had an all tails mix of all their saved tails, when they run that -- care to venture a guess der wo? You're much more experienced than I - can probably do a good estimate -- if you saves several runs of all your tails, then threw them together, what would the average percentage be? This way with my tails since I only get down to about 25% I will add a bit of water to get to that proof. I will also then not quite need the full 5 gallons saved to fill my pot; I'll take a proofing, and proof it down to where it should be based on this guesstimate of where it should be, then cook it.

I don't want a neutral but I think you got that. When they cook theirs they barely get any heads at all, since it's all tails, and they get a HUGE hearts cut from the all tails run. And it's got SO MUCH flavor it's really spicy and has legs when you swallow that go for days, creamy. Not sure how much that is from the cognac barrel, but it does seem like a rum that has a lot of tails in it, but doesn't have that tails taste. Instead it's like hearts, with the tails benefits. That's why I'm so excited to reproduce this...
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

They write that they use two stills: A potstill for stripping and a plated column for spirit runs. Low wines are 35%abv. The hearts of the silver Rum is 90-92%, the other Rums "a bit lower". This sounds for me like 85-88%.

So the hearts are between 85 and 92%. Difficult to tell what abv the tails are, because perhaps they shut down the reflux when distilling the tails. But anyway, all commercial Rum production is high abv, at least compared to Whisky, Bourbon, Cognac, Grappa, why should this be the exception? I think the tails are over 40%, perhaps much higher. And of course they use again the column. I think with 25% low wines and a pot with a thumper you are way below their purity. Adding water means reducing the flavor. Except for Vodka or neutral I would never dilute anything before distillation.

IMO your fear to end with a neutral as soon you hit something like 80%abv is unfounded.

Looking at the deep color of their Navy Rum, I am sure it's colored. And when they color it, probably also they flavor it? It's still possible that what you like comes from additives. I don't know. If I hear "creamy" I think glycerine.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Wow, well at that percentage maybe I do use my thumper and just fill with water or don't fill it at all, let it do its own fill - which gets me a bigger hearts cut der wo, do you know for sure? Water or no fill? I want to know more exact science about how thump kegs work specifically but I've HD searched and read several of the longer threads on here and a lot of it doesn't seem like real science but more like halfway decent observations from use. Still not answering the real questions though about variances and changing things, they'd from what I read found patterns in specific conditions in thumps and made charts for those specific conditions.

So I'll just use what i save and save as far down as I can get with my thumped runs of rum, and when I get 5 gals I'll cook that, probably with thump to get it nice and clean. Now just a question of how to run the thump, water, use 32 oz of the tails mix maybe for flavoring as standard (wash in thump), or empty... I do suspect if I use the tails mix it's coming out of my thump as high as possible because in the past when I started I used store bought vodka on my very first run, a corn and sugar mash. 32 oz of vodka in thump, and my first heads from the worm were 89%. If my wash was like 60% and I had also 60% in the thump I wonder if I'd be getting 95% in the first jars?]

Possibly a good argument for using nothing in there, but I want that flavor that the all tails is the whole reason I'm wanting to do this. I suspect they don't use glycerine, as does my friend who introduced me to it. It's not got that smoothed feel, it's a bit hot, but the finish is very creme brulee after you've swallowed and the flavor lingers. It's also spicy in your mouth, which I suspect is from the tails, and also the French oak and cognac barrel.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Adding water to the thumper has a similar effect like diluting. I wouldn't do this, when I search for much flavor.
And when aiming for a high abv product with flavor, I would have in the thumper either something very high abv (higher than the abv in the pot) or if I don't have something higher, I would leave it empty, then it fills itself wth high abv. But for acidic conditions (to turn acids into esters) it would be good to have something acidic in the thumper. For example a bit of the tails (because you don't have something stronger) and an acid. If you don't have sulfuric acid, use citric acid.

You underestimate the difference between 89% and 95%. The step from 10% wash to 89% is much smaller than from 89 to 95%. And even if you would have 95% in the first jar. You should be happy to have the foreshots such concentrated. For the taste intensity it's not important what the starting abv is. Only what's during the hearts in average and at the tails cut.

Did you check the abv of this Rum with an alcoholmeter? If it measures lower than they write on the bottle, it's added sugar. Don't worry, I don't want to start the sugar discussion again. But when you want to copy this Rum, it's a valuable information how much sugar they use, if any.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Ah I didn't know this check trick! I didn't, I only had a 5 or 6 oz sample, and sadly I drank all mine because it was so good! I will ask Johnsmyname to check the ABV however and then we'll know, I'll report back! I will I think put tails in the thumper, and he is ordering his sulfuric and already has several different dunders with various infections going. He's really getting into it, I've gotten him into rum and infections when I had him get me Stolen rum, a Hampden distillation.

One touch of the funk taste and he's hooked, now he is obsessed with making the funk himself, we've hooked another!! So I will and have caved, be getting my own sulfuric soon -- so into my thumper by the time I have 5 gallons of tails will go tails and sulfuric. What balance/ratio? I 'charge' my thump with 32 oz -- I'm guessing this would be what, 31 oz of tails and 1oz of sulfuric or something, and then I put the sulfuric in the tails the night before and seal it, before I put it into my thumper the next morning for the cook?

Will report on the ABV of Queens Share...

Thanks for continued support Der Wo - you're a gentleman and a scholar distiller! Johnsmyname should/will be contacting you soon because he is interested in the sulfuric process and like me a bit sketchy about using it, so he's looking for advice. I directed him toward your and Otis' various threads, but said you're also a wonderful and brilliant guy who'd likely be eager to help if he described his kit and his supplies at hand. ;)
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

If you have no pH buffers in the tails, very small amounts of sulfuric acid lead to a drastic pH change. For example by adding lime treated infected dunder to your tails you get much buffers. But if you only redistill pure tails you don't have buffers.
For one liter pure tails/feints/low wines I would use 1ml sulfuric acid (concentration 95%) or 3ml battery acid. So the ratio is 1 : 1000. This ratio is not carved in stone forever, it's not like I would do this every day. But from my experience this ratio is something with a strong effect and it also doesn't eat away the copper or solder of your still.
If you for example have a highly buffered wash (like in my "another experimental Rum" thread), the optimal concentration is much higher. Perhaps in practice the maximum you would use ever is 1 : 100.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

I have 2.5 gallons of tails now - combined from all my long run out tails starting after the foul jars from coconut sugar wash, 2 maple syrup w/molasses washes, and several rum washes. Getting excited.

When I run this I imagine I'm going to need/be collecting LOTS of jars, eh, since the ABV will be somewhere around 35-45% and on top of that no heads included.

So will I still GET heads when I cook this? For that matter, will I have any foreshots??
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Update to this thread/experiment as I get very close. I have a 5 gallon once used for whisky oak barrel with a char. From my understanding, I know I need to fill this to swell it, and I've been told to fill with water and after 24 hours to switch out/drain and refill the water. Not sure behind the reasoning of this though - perhaps someone can comment. When utilizing a 'dried' oak barrel that's been previously used, to fill with a rum, what's best practices? I've also read of doing a vinegar (acetic acid) wash just prior to fill in order to boost ester development -- this is fascinating and interesting particularly for the all tails run. I have 3 gallons, tails from coconut sugar, 3 maple syrups, and 3-4 panela/molasses runs. Tails are higher in amyl alcohol, and amyl combines with acetic acid to form banana esters. Of course there are also acids in the tannins and left behind from the whisky (so I may not do the 2nd rinse of fresh water), and the char surface will have a 'basic' PH interaction as well - a used barrel is a good environment for forming esters, boosting this with acetic and filling with an all tails run hearts that are higher in amyl alcohol (from the tails, when doing a spirit run/2nd distillation these amyl alcohols will smear/spread throughout the run, while tails will still be highest). Over time my hope for this rum would be it ages off and gets some very good/strong banana esters!

To the 3 gallons of tails - anybody know if I need to dump/discard foreshots from a tails run? And my hearts should be much bigger, like most of the run, yes? Then there's the item about the thumper, fill or no fill - if fill, mostly tails and some 'fresh' wash perhaps, along with dosing it with sulfuric acid for good esters production?
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

der wo Is there a thread on the acid Ester production . if there is could you share the link please .

I guess I'm going to have to start saving tails . it shouldn't take that long to save 5 gallon of tails. this is an interesting process
distiller_dresden
Trainee

iwine wrote:der wo Is there a thread on the acid Ester production . if there is could you share the link please .

I guess I'm going to have to start saving tails . it shouldn't take that long to save 5 gallon of tails. this is an interesting process
Here's info on that, and I'm doing lots of experimenting and projects with carboxylic acids for ester production. In fact I just ran a wash which had 500mg of 3 different acids, in salt form (which turns to acid when added to liquid -- wash), and then added a 4th when I cooked it, into the thump charge -- benzoic acid. Just did cuts on this tonight and it really had vanilla notes from the benz, and pineapple/apple and plum notes from the other acids (heptanoic, hexanoic, butyric).

Here's a thread discussing what der wo and some others were doing, as well as my own results (not updated for a couple or more weeks now, but still all the info is here)
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=72177

You can order these carboxylic acids from Amazon, and sulfuric acid from duda diesel very cheaply.
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

thanks distiller Dresden :thumbup:
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Running 5 gal tails from rum runs in two weeks, just after xmas. I have two thumpers now. The 5 gal is at 45%, tails from molasses rum, panela rum, coconut sugar rum, maple syrup rum. experimental rum blends like molasses/panela/date syrup or panela/coconut sugar/date syrup, and even 1 baking molasses and pear juice concentrate wash. When I open the bucket it smells of bubblegum and sweet/fruity rum, which is interesting. There are some very small heads in there too, to interact with the tails, but maybe 32-64oz heads at most total.

I was planning to run this with 5 gal in the pot, and a thump charge of fresh panela wash (unfermented), and that's it. Debating how adding my second thumper, and leaving it empty, into the setup. So pot, charged thump, empty thump.

Anyone have experience with feints runs and thumpers? Or multiple thumpers, and rum, in general?