Rum Problems ....

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bombo80
Novice

Rum Problems ....

Post by Bombo80 »

I ran my second rum wash, this past weekend. I did a 6 gallon rum wash that I had mixed with 3 gallons of rum distillate from a previous run that was a little cloudy because it puked. The rum wash was 7# 11oz. molasses, 4# 2oz. light organic cane sugar, 2 gallons dunder, DAP, yeast nutrient, oyster shells, all topped up to 6 gallon and pitched with a half cup Red Star bakers yeast, and kept in a 70 degree room to ferment.
I thought I had things dialed in. I started out with full power on the 5500w heating element. I dialed it back to my known "Sweet Spot" on the controller, once the top of the column was getting warm to the touch. About 100 degrees on the thermometer. I tossed the first half pint of foreshots, and collected the next 4 half pints, all crystal clear and all at 160 proof.
The distillate was coming off in a broken stream of drops. Then the next pint had a slight yellow tint. I was not happy to see that this had puked on me again. :esurprised:
It never went away, and it didn't get any worse. I collected a full gallon, all at 160 proof, before it started to slowly drop. I collected the next gallon in pint jars, that gradually dropped in proof every jar. Then it started to get cloudy as I was getting into the tails. I collected the next gallon of tails, down to 20 proof, then shut the still down.
I don't understand how it puked. I did put a 1/2 tablespoon of butter to help with the foaming. Maybe i needed more ??? Maybe I should try olive oil ???
I can turning the power down more, and have the heatup time go longer, but I pulled over 5 half pints that were all crystal clear, and had dialed down the power a bit already, and it still puked. :eh:
The other problem is my boiler charge was only 9 gallons in my 16 gallon keg still, and it too over 12 hours to run it off. If I turn the power down more, it will take forever to run a 9 or 10 gallon charge.
I am very confused as to what to do. If I turn the power down at the startup, how can I think about turning up the power if it pukes all the time ?
Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Re: Rum Problems ....

Post by SaltyStaves »

Doesn't sound like a puke. As long as its not smelling burnt and there are no signs of scorching in the boiler/riser/condenser, then the spirit run will clean it up fine.
I've seen yellow tint in my stripping collection jars on more than one rum and it doesn't bother me any more.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I suspect you are trying to avoid double distilling, something I knew I would have to do when I first built my still to avoid the types of problems you are having and to make fine rum. I've always fermented enough for at least three stripping runs, stripped it all, then done the spirit run. That method makes a lot of quality rum quickly and the occasional puke in the strips doesn't matter.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Puking with a rum wash is more like diarrhea and less like piss.
(there's one for your definitions article)

From what I read you didn't have a puking situation.
You do plan on a spirit run right?
Take everything you produced except the fores, add water to get it to 40% or below and run it again.
You will have a pure clean spirit.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Most pot stilled flavored products benefit from having the total low wines collection distilled to below 40% abv. I strip my rums until they are around 25-35%abv depending on what I'm making and never add water to dilute. I doubt any commercial rum distillers dilute with water before the spirit run.
Bombo80
Novice

Post by Bombo80 »

So I am not sure if it is really a puking situation. I just don't know what else to call it.
This was kind of a 1.5 spirit run. I had 3 gallons of low wines that I added to 6 gallons of fresh rum wash.
There was no burnt smells and no other obvious signs of scorching, just that the distillate had a slight tint to it.
Rum Run2.jpg
The biggest problem I have is the black oily crap inside the condenser. It's going to take me an hour just to get it all cleaned out, and ready for the next run.

I don't mind the tint to the rum, as I am planning on doing a couple quarts of gold and black rum, from Buccaneer Bobs instructions. Plus aging on oak will cover any tint anyway.

Not disgusted with the results, just worried about the procedure and trying to prevent the"puking" in the future.

Any suggestions on an anti-foam agent that I could use ??

Thanks to all
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I have used butter, olive oil, and most recently I enjoy using my home rendered lard.

Rum needs the full 2x distillation. If you want to add some wash to the spirit run, it should only be about a gallon or 2. If you have a charge that is 2/3 wash, and 1/3 low wines, don't kid yourself. That is a boosted strip run, not a spirit run.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Bombo80
Novice

Post by Bombo80 »

Shineon,

Is there too much butter or olive oil to use ??

My runs will be around 10 gallons in my 16 gallon keg boiler.

Just trying to get a better handle on it.

Also, thanks for all your help and knowledge. I know that this was not a true spirit run. I am still learning a lot of the terminology in this hobby.

:thumbup:
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

My kettle is 15 gal and I run about 12 gal when stripping rum. I add 1/2 stick of butter and have never had it puke. My power input is 3,000 watts on that volume.
Good luck!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Bombo80 wrote:Shineon,

Is there too much butter or olive oil to use ??

My runs will be around 10 gallons in my 16 gallon keg boiler.

Just trying to get a better handle on it.

Also, thanks for all your help and knowledge. I know that this was not a true spirit run. I am still learning a lot of the terminology in this hobby.

:thumbup:
I'm not correcting your terminology. I'm nudging your practice. Next time, fill the boiler with all low wines, and if you must, no more than 10% dunder/ wash. What im saying you did was effectively a finishing run on a raw wash.

Run wash through 3 times, collect all the yellow, murky, clouded low wines. Then put it all back in, no wash, and do your spirit run slowly, like 5 hours, and collect in small jars.

If anything, I think that color might come from a puke on your first run, that was cooked on to your column down comer , maybe? Usually if I puke on a strip, I shut the still down immediately, and then turn up to 80% power of where it was (much like managing the protein break when boiling beer for your hops). That usually stops the puke, and the alcohol cleans the still head for the next run.

Haven't cleaned my still in years, never get colored spirits.

I use a table spoon or so of oil/ lard. Don't need too much, just enough to break the tension on the surface, and snack the bubble smiles of their faces.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Bombo80
Novice

Post by Bombo80 »

Thanks Shineon, I am definitely showing my newbie.
I will remember this advice and it never dawned on me to shut it down, and restart at a lower temp.
All part of the learning curve.
Now I just need to clean out all the black oily crap from the column and condenser.
I am getting pretty good at tearing it down and cleaning it. I am glad I made the condenser to come apart, just for this reason.
Thanks again, to all.