new batch of rum never started

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Brad H
Novice

new batch of rum never started

Post by Brad H »

Hello all.
I used the recipe below and all looked good except I realized my sugar was to high after I poured the yeast in.
After 3 days of no action(the yeast I started quit)
So I split it into two pails so that I would have room to add a gal of water to each after which I checked the sp/gr and found it 1.01
what the heck? the wash is not very sweet?
any ideas? Thanks in advance

- 1st batch August 12th 2019 
clean and sterilize 20L UFA bucket, and boiler pot
making 15-18L batch
- measured 4L distilled water into canning pot (stainless pot won’t work on convection plate)
- bring water to 140F / 60C
- add 3.060 kg white sugar and stir
- add 0.535 brown sugar and stir
- turn heat off
- add 3 x 675g Blackstrap Molasses or 2025g
- stir till all is mixed
- sp/gr 1.128 :-)
- started yeast and sat for 20 mins, pitch yeast and stired it in.
- !!Note I hope the wash was not to warm around 30C!!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: new batch of rum never started

Post by NZChris »

At 1.010, and no longer sweet, my guess is it's ready to run.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

NZChris wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:19 pm At 1.010, and no longer sweet, my guess is it's ready to run.
yup :thumbup:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Brad H wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:06 pm After 3 days of no action(the yeast I started quit)
I'm interested to know what you mean by no action ?
A : Cant hear it fizzing ?
B : Cant see any froth on top of the wash ?
C: No tiny bubbles to be seen on top of the wash ?
D: No bubbles going BLOOP BLOOP at the air lock?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Your 1.010 gravity and lack of sweetness says you're ready to distill, as NZChris & Yummyrum pointed out.

So how'd you get here from there?
Likely the culprit is a leaky bucket seal. The CO2 escaped from that leak instead of your airlock, so "no action."
I must be lucky 'cause my buckets seal well. After putting the lid on, I always test the seal and lightly push down
on the center of the lid to see if there's a corresponding movement in the airlock. If you like watching the air lock bubbling,
get good brewers buckets that seal tightly.

Keep an eye on your sugar (and of course, starting gravity) next time. Shoot for gravities in the ~1.08 to 1.10 territory
to avoid stressing the yeast. Remember, we're shooting for quality, not the Stratosphere Alcohol award.

Good luck to you, pal.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:48 am
Brad H wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:06 pm After 3 days of no action(the yeast I started quit)
I'm interested to know what you mean by no action ?
A : Cant hear it fizzing ?
B : Cant see any froth on top of the wash ?
C: No tiny bubbles to be seen on top of the wash ?
D: No bubbles going BLOOP BLOOP at the air lock?
E: Can’t smell the sweet smell of sugar , yeast and molasses when you walk into the room
Brad H
Novice

Post by Brad H »

fizzix wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:28 am Your 1.010 gravity and lack of sweetness says you're ready to distill, as NZChris & Yummyrum pointed out.

So how'd you get here from there?
Likely the culprit is a leaky bucket seal. The CO2 escaped from that leak instead of your airlock, so "no action."
I must be lucky 'cause my buckets seal well. After putting the lid on, I always test the seal and lightly push down
on the center of the lid to see if there's a corresponding movement in the airlock. If you like watching the air lock bubbling,
get good brewers buckets that seal tightly.

Keep an eye on your sugar (and of course, starting gravity) next time. Shoot for gravities in the ~1.08 to 1.10 territory
to avoid stressing the yeast. Remember, we're shooting for quality, not the Stratosphere Alcohol award.

Good luck to you, pal.
Thanks for the quick replys
Fizzix,
it is possible that the lid was leaking but when i touch the lid it would cause bubbler action.
I started the "Rum Turbo Pure" yeast in a separate container and it had a nice 1 inch or more head after 20 mins.
Then I lightly poured and stirred it into the 17L of wash.
I put the lid on tight, the bubbler started to move and I left it for the day.
With the sugar and sp/gr so high (to high I know now) @ 1.128 I expected it to brew for two weeks
I read this in the forum as a large mistake
But this all said, the next day the bubbler was the same and not bubbling.
day 3 the same so I added a spoon of energizer and noticed not much foam or bubbles inside.
day 4 no sign of yeast growth of foam or bubbles
day 5 i split it into two pails, added 1 gal of water to each, it tasted like molasses and the sp/gr was 1.00 - 1.01 or so, so I added a Lavalin 118 yeast to each bucket.
day 7 looks the same so hear I am.

Now this is my 1st ever batch of rum, I am not sure if I need to try and clear it, rack it,
or where to go because I don't think it has much alcohol in it if any.
What would you do
Attachments
Photo on 2019-08-18 at 8.44 AM.jpg
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

You had 1.128 gravity to start.
And ended up with 1.010.

That's ~15% alcohol. I say run it!
-----------------------------------------
Passing Note: Turbo yeast is a notoriously inferior yeast. Expensive, too.
You can get better return with even plain ol' bakers yeast. I see more reading in your future, my friend.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It's finished. You're flogging a dead horse.

What else don't you know? There is plenty of bad advice on how to distill rum on the internet so do your homework well.
NeckStiller
Novice

Post by NeckStiller »

Run it, its done. I would say consider yourself fortunate to see 1.01 but I'm not sure what kind of product you got with that yeast.

Dig and you'll find awesome information here on HD regarding things like the yeast. In fact there's one surrounding a whole comparison on different yeasts for rum. Just a for instance.

After experience you'll know as soon as you get into the shed and smell those familiar aromas when it's ready to run. Yank the lid, dip to check, verify sweetness is gone.

Not to mention the countless info on guys rarely seeing 1.01 on rum...most like myself shoot for 1.10 or less and land at 1.02-1.03...

Good luck on the journey and whatever you do stop utilizing other Internet sources for this hobby! HD should be your one stop....start reading and practicing!!
Captain Pappy
Novice

Post by Captain Pappy »

I had a beer (not for distilling), that fermented through overnight. I was so unready for this that I assumed it was just stuck at the beginning and kept trying to remediate the problem untill I finally checked the SG and discovered it was already finished even though there was no sign of a krausen on the sides of the fermenter.
Brad H
Novice

Post by Brad H »

Thanks all for the awesome info. I will only be using HD for my advice.
So I siphoned off a gal from the middle of the wash for my new tiny Turbo still (I'm new right)
I started to taste what was coming out of the still at 40ml (1 gal still)
I could taste a hint of drinkable spirits but also some rubbing alcohol but it was near gone by 50ml so at 60ml I started to collect the head.
200ml of head and then 7 jars after that with 100ml each so I could taste the difference.
I also checked each 100ml with the refractometer which gave me a reading that I saw fall with each 100ml.
I am learning.
I stopped the run a bit early as it was a very slow drip after a pint of tails
I think there is a pint left in the still which I will reuse (I guess)

I think I should of ran a full pint of heart as I will more then likely mix the 200ml after the heart with it any way (What say you)
I am not sure how to blend it correctly if anyone can drop me a link to the best blending method.
If not I will mix according to my taste

So the head is garage cleaner, what should I use the tails for?

Thanks in advance
Brad
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Brad H wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:30 amI will only be using HD for my advice.
Be careful. None of the posters had to pass a distilling exam before they got permission to give advice.

You will find different and sometimes opposing views on many subjects and sometimes the easiest method, e.g. doing single pot still runs to make rum, is religiously defended by it's proponents and avoided like the plague by it's detractors. I've done a lot of research outside this site, (HD and Youtube didn't exist when I started), and still do.
Brad H
Novice

Post by Brad H »

NZChris wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:47 pm Be careful. None of the posters had to pass a distilling exam before they got permission to give advice.
LMAO now there is an honest piece of advice and truth rolled up into one. All good Chris, Thanks
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Brad H wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:03 am
NZChris wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:47 pm Be careful. None of the posters had to pass a distilling exam before they got permission to give advice.
LMAO now there is an honest piece of advice and truth rolled up into one. All good Chris, Thanks
He can be a bit harsh sometimes :lol: :twisted: