Muck pit creation

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Brennaren
Novice

Muck pit creation

Post by Brennaren »

I found out today that I accidentally had made four different small "muck pits" using only maize and water.
A little over a month ago, I prepared four samples of micronized maize for testing of an enzyme. But I got distracted and the jars just stood there. (after three days I thought it was to late anyhow).
Relatively small mason jars with loosely attached lids. I drowned the maize in cold water for gelatinisation over night. (I used tap water, pH=8.2 last I checked (prior to mashing in)) Occasional sun during the day, for a month... . I have noticed that there was stuff growing in the jars. I have smelled a few times carefully on number one, but not much. Today I decided to clean up the mess.

When I emptied jar number one through the sieve into the sink, I noticed that the aroma was sour and pleasant, fruitlike. Could have been used, but to late now, I thought. Very similar to the lactic fermentation of berlinerweisse.
Jar number two had a dark brown pellicle on top, tiny black hairs, a little wrinkly surface. The smell was like feces, So this is what a Clostridium infection smells like I thought to myself. there was more to the smell as I emptied the jar into the sieve. I got the association of pineapple but the nasty smell was mostly overwhelming.
Jar number three had a whiter shade on a weaker pellicle. The aroma was very similar to blue cheese, and some softer nice fruity aroma.
Jar number four was different again, Very ripe bananas, nice.

I saved the two last jars. I think I will filter them trough a cloth and add the liquid to the low wines prior to a rum-spirits run next week.
4 different bacteria infections in 4 rather similar jars. Very simple procedure. I will make more.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Muck pit creation

Post by Beerswimmer »

Nice! Keep us up to date when you grow and use them!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!